JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I noted, I have a Rockchucker, and one of those fancy Lee presses with a rotary thing on top that holds three dies and a powder dispenser. Been using that for nigh-on twenty years now.

For the mount I shoot - rarely more than fifty rounds of .357-cased lead loads or thirty or so .45-70 it's enough. The only semi-auto anything I own in a .22cal that belonged to my dad and then to me. It's made of wood and steel - no add-ons except a nice old steel and glass scope.
That scope on the BSA is really sumthin'. Way cool!

I recently inherited my Dad's reloading gear. I generally understand what the peices do, but as I asked him questions I realized he was a paint by numbers reloader - he did what the guy before him did and that was good enough.

I am not a rocket surgeon, but I want to understand why I do what I do, so I bought this birthday present for myself:

yman-50th-anniversary-reloading-handbook-hardcover.jpg

Last Edited:
I recently inherited my Dad's reloading gear. I generally understand what the peices do, but as I asked him question I realized he was a paint by numbers reloader - he did what the guy before him did and that was good enough.

I am not a rocket surgeon, but I want to understand why I do what I do, so I bought this birthday present for myself:

View attachment 885652
I've been reloading since 1975, but I've still got five manuals to reference and look at them every time I reload. At least to compare charges for the cartridge I'm currently reloading. You might try to find a copy of R.A. Steindler's "Reloaders Guide". While it does have some loading tables in the book it's primary feature is it details and explains the entire reloading process, what, how, when, and why. It is an excellent book for both the novice and experienced reloader as nobody knows everything or can remember everything.

I recently inherited my Dad's reloading gear. I generally understand what the peices do, but as I asked him questions I realized he was a paint by numbers reloader - he did what the guy before him did and that was good enough.

View attachment 885652

I picked up that book too. I already had the 49 soft cover. the 49ths seventh printing was March 2013. The 50th October 2018. I checked my loads and none of them have changed in the 50th. The 50th shows newer powders 49th doesn't. That's a plus!

One of the things I realized is that Dad's powder was a "Bullseye Fast Burning Smokeless" and sort of remember what it looked like, but packaging has surely changed in 30+ years.

I have every physical component I need except for the powder. But I also realize I need to learn a bunch of new things before I can safely roll my own!

One of the things I realized is that Dad's powder was a "Bullseye Fast Burning Smokeless" and sort of remember what it looked like, but packaging has surely changed in 30+ years.

I have every physical component I need except for the powder. But I also realize I need to learn a bunch of new things before I can safely roll my own!
Bullseye is really a pistol powder and is far more useful as a pistol powder rather than even small cased rifle cartridges. A little goes a long ways.

Picked up the new Speer number 15 and Hornady 11th books, needed some info on newer production items. Loaded up 50 30-30 with Hornady 140gr monoflex and 30gr IMR 4895 should make a decent deer round. Still wanting to try some Levrolution powder but the unicorn riding leprechaun delivery guy hasn't stopped by yet.

Since y'all are being inviting to the nOOb, can I ask where y'all are finding powder these days?
While Bullseye would be fine for .38/.357 or 9x19 Luger there are bunches of pistol powders out there. If you can find any for sale buy it. Most us "old guys" already have stuff squirreled away and have been working on our stores this last year and a half. A "burn chart" will show you what other powders are good for pistol. Stay with those powders listed in your book until you gain enough experience to experiment.

Since y'all are being inviting to the nOOb, can I ask where y'all are finding powder these days?
Using what I already had stocked up but did help out another member on a trade and acquired a powder I had not previously used (H110) but was willing to try and he got what he needed. If you were closer I have a new pound of Bullseye I got at some point ( CRS syndrome) and don't really have a use for. Powder comes around occasionally (here and online) but ya gotta be quick if ya want it at decent prices. When it eventually comes back remember to stock up on the ones you decide you like. I mainly use Blue dot, unique and IMR 4064 but have a fairly wide variety to use if need be.

Using what I already had stocked up but did help out another member on a trade and acquired a powder I had not previously used (H110) but was willing to try and he got what he needed. If you were closer I have a new pound of Bullseye I got at some point ( CRS syndrome) and don't really have a use for. Powder comes around occasionally (here and online) but ya gotta be quick if ya want it at decent prices. When it eventually comes back remember to stock up on the ones you decide you like. I mainly use Blue dot, unique and IMR 4064 but have a fairly wide variety to use if need be.
Dang! I drove by you twice, with all this gear in my truck, within the past month!

Thank you ALL for the help and guidance!

Like, "EB" said, careful with that BullsEye. :eek:
Always check for double loads. :s0123:
It would be easy to do and very dangerous.:s0001:

In .38Spl., I only use 3.5 gr. with a 145gr cast HP. :)

* I've found BullsEye burns really dirty in 9mm. Try #7 Pistol Powder.

6.5gr of Bulls Eye in a .38 Spec doesn't look like much, but 13gr STILL doesn't fill the case to the bottom of a 158gr bullet.

THAT load will blow the wax out of your ears, and most likely, it you are shooting an older pre-war revolver, particularly those NOT made by the main American makers, blow it up.

Back when I shot home-loaded 9mm, my go-to load was 4.8gr of HP38 for a 124gr FMJ - now, there are many others you can choose from, but remember that there are, as MikeJ notes, PISTOL powders, RIFLE powders, and those that are best for SHOTGUNS. They are NOT different to sell them to suckers, they ARE different because of their burn rates - the amount of gas generated per given amount when they deflagrate [burn] and generate the high-pressure gas that sends the bullet down the barrel and out into the world.

View attachment 885652
Numbers are the debil!

Picked up the new Speer number 15 and Hornady 11th books, needed some info on newer production items. Loaded up 50 30-30 with Hornady 140gr monoflex and 30gr IMR 4895 should make a decent deer round. Still wanting to try some Levrolution powder but the unicorn riding leprechaun delivery guy hasn't stopped by yet.
Hornady's 11th is out now huh?
Do they have loads for all the new stuff. Mainly Im interested in .224 valk. And 460 rowland pistol cal.

Also kinda curious about say 6mm ARC and some of their other PRC rounds.

Thanks

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews