JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Garbage Can and Ammo Can as Faraday shields

More videos from empdoctor.

Testing Garbage Cans and EMP Bags
Garbage Can without Tape: 18 dB shielding
Garbage Can with Tape: 40 dB shielding

Gaskets to Seal Faraday Cage
Garbage Can without gasket: 17 dB shielding
Garbage Can with gasket: 52 dB shielding

Ammo Can Faraday Cage
Ammo Can without gasket: 28 dB shielding
Ammo Can with gasket: 74 dB shielding

The shielding measured in the above videos using garbage cans using tape or a gasket is good (40 or 52), but it not as effective as the best Faraday bags (> 80). But, the shielding you get from the can gets added to the shielding you get from the bags inside, provided the can is insulated from the bags.

The ammo can works better than the garbage can, but of course holds less.

dB (decibels) is not linear. 20dB is 10 times greater than 10dB. 30dB is 10 times greater than 20dB and 100 times greater than 10dB. 70dB is 1,000,000 times greater than 10dB. Each 10dB is tenX more.

dB does not have units, it is a ratio. If I am comparing 1000 W to 1 W, the ratio is 1000:1, or 30 dB.
Speaking of steel containers, the other day I collected up all the unused devices around my house that use lithium ion batteries, and put them all into a military surplus stainless steel drum in my garage. Normally they only burst into uncontrollable flames while charging or discharging quickly, but there's still danger if they become fully drained.

I also wonder about their safety if they are hit with high energy radio waves, DEW, or solar flares.

China is having real problems with apartment buildings burning down because of people charging EV scooters at night, which they use for commuting to work.

Some teenager's jaw was broken by an e-cigarette exploding during a quick discharge of a tiny lithium ion battery, so it doesn't take much lithium ion to become life threatening.

I was surprised how many lithium ion battery devices I found in my house.

I used to play with RC rock crawlers, and those lithium ion batteries are so dangerous you have to charge them in a fireproof location.

I would bet that is probably due to the shortcuts China is notorious for with regards to safety & quality, than to do with inherent issues with EVs or Lithium batteries.
You're halfway right. It's actually due to the way the Chinese cheap out on the materials used to separate the multiple cells in lithium ion batteries, that prevent overheating from one cell to the next.

It's still the fault of the lithium ion batteries, just not the well made ones.

Oh, and those RC rock crawler batteries that I have that are so dangerous, they tend to be the really cheaply made Chinese lithium ion batteries.

Speaking of steel containers, the other day I collected up all the unused devices around my house that use lithium ion batteries, and put them all into a military surplus stainless steel drum in my garage. Normally they only burst into uncontrollable flames while charging or discharging quickly, but there's still danger if they become fully drained.

I also wonder about their safety if they are hit with high energy radio waves, DEW, or solar flares.

China is having real problems with apartment buildings burning down because of people charging EV scooters at night, which they use for commuting to work.

Some teenager's jaw was broken by an e-cigarette exploding during a quick discharge of a tiny lithium ion battery, so it doesn't take much lithium ion to become life threatening.

I used to play with RC rock crawlers, and those lithium ion batteries are so dangerous you have to charge them in a fireproof location.
A friend of ours was driving down the road in his motorhome, charging his son's RC car batteries when one exploded. Burned the whole coach down on the side of the interstate. His family and dogs were the only things that got out.

A friend of ours was driving down the road in his motorhome, charging his son's RC car batteries when one exploded. Burned the whole coach down on the side of the interstate. His family and dogs were the only things that got out.
I switched to Graphine batteries across the board, too many horror stories with lithium batteries! Besides, my systems can draw more current then the batteries can supply causing all sorts of issues that lithium could not handle!

I charge my RC airplane batteries in a battery box:

IMG_1548.jpeg

IMG_1549.jpeg

I the store my charged LiPOs in fireproof bags.

Nice!! Peppers are the only thing still sleeping for me. Either they were unhappy with my process, or they are just late bloomers. 2 types of bells, jalapeños, and poblanos.
I've tried peppers the last few years but they always end up tiny. Small plants and small peppers. They taste great but, jeez... I blame it on being out here on the West side, but still, I should be able to do better.

Bell peppers take a lot of water and sun, but also well drained soil, from what I remember.
Maybe they were too wet. Everything else seemed to like it, but I was thinking last night that peppers usually grow in drier areas, like Mexico, California, Italy, Spain, which is why they are used in so many dishes from those regions. I'm still experimenting, so I will try again with less wet soil next time.

Maybe they were too wet. Everything else seemed to like it, but I was thinking last night that peppers usually grow in drier areas, like Mexico, California, Italy, Spain, which is why they are used in so many dishes from those regions. I'm still experimenting, so I will try again with less wet soil next time.
I think bell peppers are different than hot peppers with regards to their best growing conditions.

I have peppers!
Orange bells popped up overnight. Eleven days. I noted that in my garden diary to remember for next year.
Congrats! Watch for holes to appear. I had some kind of pest boring holes in mine last year. Couldn't figure it out. But not doing them this year.

Over the weekend I transplanted the zucchini into 4" pots. We also put some field fencing around our 3 new fruit trees and the blueberries that I got in the ground last week. Added some soil acidifier to the soil around the blueberries also. I tested the soil and looks to be about 6.5 acidity. Not terrible, but not really acidic enough. Rental tractor is on order for Friday-Monday to flatten out an outdoor garden area, RV parking, and circular driveway if time. We also raised one of the raised beds in the hoop house a row higher for carrots and possibly potatoes.

I just hauled the 50# of potatoes out of my crawlspace and threw them in the trash. They had 18" roots coming out of the top of the bag. Experiment failed. Now I know that I can't keep roots for a whole winter down there. Plus, it never stayed humid enough down there and I don't think I would want it to. I could have planted them, but I'm not ready to do that yet and potatoes are cheap here. That bag was free, but if I had purchased it, it would have been about $20. I'm glad I tried it with a free bag instead of my whole winter harvest of carrots and onions. At least no critters got into them. My man will just have to get to work on a root cellar at some point. :p

2) inside an all-steel garbage can with a steel lid, and then tape the lid to cover any gaps. I put some cardboard down on the bottom of the can and along the inside walls for additional electrical isolation, keeping the can from touching the bags.
This right there!

My efforts may be overkill and hilarious to some, but I try to err on the over.
No, they're not.

In no way am I an expert on this, I have some background enabling me to read material on EMP with at least a little understanding. There is a lot of conflicting information out there, such as half the articles I read claimed you needed to ground the outer container. The source I considered most credible said you don't need to ground it, and that's what I go by.
Same, in all respects...

I just hauled the 50# of potatoes out of my crawlspace and threw them in the trash. They had 18" roots coming out of the top of the bag. Experiment failed. Now I know that I can't keep roots for a whole winter down there. Plus, it never stayed humid enough down there and I don't think I would want it to. I could have planted them, but I'm not ready to do that yet and potatoes are cheap here. That bag was free, but if I had purchased it, it would have been about $20. I'm glad I tried it with a free bag instead of my whole winter harvest of carrots and onions. At least no critters got into them. My man will just have to get to work on a root cellar at some point. :p
Next time just leave them in the ground! They will stay good all fall and winter on their own. At least mine did, and the ones that I missed turned into plants for this year.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top