JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reinforced the front entry door with 3-inch #10 screws in all the hinge leaves (both jamb-side and door-side), and the deadbolt and handle latch strike plates.

Then did the same to the solid wood door from my laundry/mud room into my garage. And since that door doesn't have a deadbolt, I installed a door stop about 2 feet above the latch (too high to be kicked). It's a really neat stopper that pulls out and then locks into the body of itself to block the door from opening from the other side.

Just waiting on my Door Armor kit to arrive to finish up the front door. This kit will beef up the strike plates and that side of the jamb from being kicked/battered in.

I'm hoping that interminably long link that got shortened to just "Amazon.com" works for you...

I did not use the long screws that came with it cuz they looked cheap/shiitty and I was afraid they would break. One was actually about to, and the head was getting too gouged up by the Phillips head bit to back it out with the drill, so I carefully backed it out with a small pair of Vise-Grips. I ended up buying some much better #9 x 3-inch brass screws from Lowes that did the trick.

There was sufficient space between the closed door and the jamb that I did not need to mortise out a recess for the lock's mounting plate. That saved a shiitpot of time. You can check for space by holding two quarters together and if they fit in the gap where you want to install the lock, you won't have to chisel out a recess.

Also, be aware that this lock only works to secure doors that open toward you on the protected side. If the door opens outward, this lock will not work.

All in all, it took me less than 15 minutes to position, mark, drill, and screw the thing in place. It works flawlessly and I'm pretty glad I got it.

Doorstop in the unlocked position:

View attachment 1831501

Doorstop in the locked position:

View attachment 1831502
So, my first Door Armor kit got lost in shipping somewhere from Texas to here, so I got a hold of Amazon and they immediately shipped another. Got it a coupla weeks ago, and so today, I completed the front door's up-armor project. Took about an hour, cuz I drug out the Dremel tool to do a little "finish sanding" of the knockouts for the latch and deadbolt, and some other touch-up work. Now, all the doors into the house are much more secure than when I bought the place.

As noted in the first post quoted above, I've already replaced all the short screws in both leaves of all the hinges with 3-inch screws, so I really don't see the need to install the hinge armor pieces, but I probably will anyway since I have them. And then it would be a total and complete job. It's just not so necessary to do right now....

Door armor1.JPG Door armor2.JPG Door armor3.JPG

Last Edited:
so I got a hold of Amazon

How did you do that? Not by phone, right? Used the 'Return or replace items' button under 'Returns & Orders' ?

I tried to contact them to return a package I never ordered in the first place, but I couldn't find a phone number, and since I never ordered the item, and it wasn't in my 'Returns & Orders' list, I could see no way to do it digitally.

How did you do that? Not by phone, right? Used the 'Return or replace items' button under 'Returns & Orders' ?

I tried to contact them to return a package I never ordered in the first place, but I couldn't find a phone number, and since I never ordered the item, and it wasn't in my 'Returns & Orders' list, I could see no way to do it digitally.
Generally, when I get those, they are for a neighbor, either close or a mile down the road (same number, different road). I just drop them off. One neighbor a mile down the road now notifies me via email/text if they get a package meant for me.

Mostly it is the fault of the delivery driver/company. A couple of times a package is late (very late) and I get a notification that it is "lost" and elect to have the seller resend the item, and then later I get the original - I now have 6 gallons of chainsaw bar oil instead of 3 gallons I ordered - enough for 6+ years.

I do that when the box is addressed to a neighbor, but the box I received was addressed to me. Amazon shipping put my label on someone else's box.

But, I also received everything that I did order.

If I had some property would love to have a couple of big dogs like these looking out for predators, protecting chickens and watching over everything. That cat too. Funny.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdRDTE9kZqM
Yeah, in about 5 to 6 years I'll be buying my first property that'll be around 10 to 20 acres and plan on having a couple of gaurd dogs. I was looking at Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Yes, the "Return or Replace Item" button. That went to a chat, and I told the other person I wanted an exact replacement, no knock-offs. I saw it added to my order immediately, and it was here in about a week.

Generally, when I get those, they are for a neighbor, either close or a mile down the road (same number, different road). I just drop them off. One neighbor a mile down the road now notifies me via email/text if they get a package meant for me.

Mostly it is the fault of the delivery driver/company. A couple of times a package is late (very late) and I get a notification that it is "lost" and elect to have the seller resend the item, and then later I get the original - I now have 6 gallons of chainsaw bar oil instead of 3 gallons I ordered - enough for 6+ years.
What's funny about my situation is the very next day after I had Amazon reorder the replacement, a FedEx guy showed up with an RMA and was looking for the item I was apparently supposed to return. I stared at him dumbfounded for second until I realized they had sent this guy to pick up something that I had never received in the first place. We had a good laugh over it...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top