JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw it the other day at Walmart!
Now I've got a goal in life! I've been keeping my eye out for it for quite some time now, I Googled it and the information was it was no longer being made (at that time, anyway). Maybe it's one of those longer term "seasonal run" things.

If I find some, I'll have to eat it sparingly. I can't take too much at a sitting these days. I like it pan fried with a thin, brown crust.

Hi all, new to posting in this section. You guys are pretty serious in here. All I did today was buy an 8 pack of Spam at Costco since it was on sale.
Spam is a great long term storage food, because of fats.

Fats & oils are difficult to store long term, and still be edible.

Sardines, Salmon & tuna are up there as well, however I don't know if they remain as palatable after "best by" dating as Spam does. Probably do, we've just never tried such ourselves.

Sardines are a fantastic one protein & fats wise, however many folks simply don't enjoy them.

Pulled some scraps from the freezer and threw in part of a chuck eye and ground up some burger.
Hadn't done this before. Just eyeballed the mixture.

IMG_0893.jpeg IMG_0894.jpeg

Sardines are a fantastic one protein & fats wise, however many folks simply don't enjoy them.
I have a can a day of expired ones I bought for .23 cents. One cheap mofo. I actually like them. Agree about Spam also for long term. Three or so years ago I ate a can of Starkist tuna from 1979 on a dare. Yummy and less Mercury I bet.

Because available fresh, nutritious, quality food may probably become scarce in a long grid down situation.
Any thoughts on long term storage of dietary supplements?
Things like vitamin D, B12, C, or a multi-vitamin… do they freeze well? … vacuum- seal the bottles in mylar? … any recommendations?

Because available fresh, nutritious, quality food may probably become scarce in a long grid down situation.
Things like vitamin D, B12, C, or a multi-vitamin… do they freeze well? … vacuum- seal the bottles in mylar? … any recommendations?
Metal Ammo cans for them, but I'd say get a couple bottles of what you want and then each month or 2 rotate through them for your daily supplements.

No recommendations.

Good Q tho.

Also, good point - discussion wise.

I'd think if some calamity gets so bad, for so long, that expired supplements no longer work "well enough" (AND natural supplement foods no longer exist) ... well that's way way way into entire atmosphere covered in volcanic ash type / kind of "world".

Could happen & has happened.

Not much to do about it, really.

• Scheduled CHL renewal.
  • Did a canned goods check. Donated some to food bank that we're not using, while replenished others.
  • Bought a new (to me) revolver on Gunbroker.
  • Made progress on a replenishing medical supply. I've been slowly chipping away at this in recent weeks and looking to stack it deep.

The book discussed in this thread said to store medications in a cool, dry, dark place. Some medications should not be frozen. 50F is better than 90F ("cool"). Store in opaque or smoky containers, not clear containers ("dark"). Avoid humidity ("dry").

I have a very small, very cheap refrigerator to store my fish antibiotics. I bought it three years ago for a different purpose, but it still works. I put my antibiotics and a small bag of desiccant into a mylar bag . I store the mylar bag into the refrigerator, along with another desiccant bag in the refrigerator outside of the mylar bag.

small refrigerator

However, I'm talking medications and you're talking vitamins, but I would expect they should be stored similarly if you're not currently using them, but I'm just guessing.

Last Edited:
Just received an SLNT faraday bag. Not sure what we're going to put in it yet, but it will fit a tablet in it. I'm thinking I can download a bunch of information onto my iPad and store it in the bag. I really just wanted to see if they worked. It seems to. Can't receive a call while in it. In fact, it didn't even show a missed call when we tried.

The book discussed in this thread said to store medications in a cool, dry, dark place. Some medications should not be frozen. 50F is better than 90F ("cool"). Store in opaque or smoky containers, not clear containers ("dark"). Avoid humidity ("dry").

I have a very small, very cheap refrigerator to store my fish antibiotics. I bought it three years ago for a different purpose, but it still works. I put my antibiotics and a small bag of desiccant into a mylar bag . I store the mylar bag into the refrigerator, along with another desiccant bag in the refrigerator outside of the mylar bag.

small refrigerator

However, I'm talking medications and you're talking vitamins, but I would expect they should be stored similarly if you're not currently using them, but I'm just guessing.
Do you think a desiccant is necessary if they are unopened and still sealed with the mylar top on the bottle?

Now I remember. The refrigerator I linked to is not the one I bought, it's the one I wish I had bought. The linked one has a freezer section, and I am thinking that would work well with a dry bar I'm planning to build.

My refrigerator has no freezer, and I experimented adding a "blue ice" pack to lower the temperature. That didn't work very well, maybe one degree for one day, and it generated some condensation inside, leaving moisture on the inner walls. I'm no longer using the blue ice, but I don't have confidence in the refrigerator exhaust fan to keep the humidity down.

The only way to be sure is to nuke it from orbit™, but my orbiter vehicle is in the shop. Or, I guess I could put a humidity reader inside for a week, I was doing that with a thermometer to verify temperatures. Maybe I'll do that later, test with and without the outside desiccant bag. But not this week.

So! That's another reason I use desiccant bags. Your mileage may vary.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top