JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When i go to the range, sometimes i just go to punch paper but other times i start out by doing a couple basic DPSST drills on some cardboard DPSST targets for warm up. then, usually shoot the dualling tree a whole bunch. various distances 7-25 yards. i practice reloads and even have a friend randomly put snap caps in my mags to practice working through malfunctions.

after pistols, i take out the rifles and start at 100 then gradually move back to 520(max distance where i shoot) to fine tune my abilities.

i have had a friend put snap caps into my rifle to train for hangfire/working through malfunctions as well. it takes a bit of discipline to NOT eject a round out of a rifle when you ONLY hear the firing pin. i mainly do this in bolt guns. for semi auto i practice clearing the weapon incase of a malfunction.

every once in a while we'll get a group of buddies together and blast clays with our shotguns. i love shootin clays.

after shooting for my entire life and developing muscle memory, i still believe shooting firearms proficiently is a perishable skill and while practice is not only fun and relaxing, its necessary!

how about you guys? do you just punch paper? drills? fire from cover? 3 gun stuff? clays? what say you??

If I do drills, I usually do variations of the Idaho POST short course. Wouldn't mind doing some more dynamic stuff.
i seriously underestimated shooting from behind cover when i started doing drills!

we have some barrels set up right now but soon we are gonna get an old beater car down there to practice with!

When i go to the range, sometimes i just go to punch paper but other times i start out by doing a couple basic DPSST drills on some cardboard DPSST targets for warm up. then, usually shoot the dualling tree a whole bunch. various distances 7-25 yards. i practice reloads and even have a friend randomly put snap caps in my mags to practice working through malfunctions.

after pistols, i take out the rifles and start at 100 then gradually move back to 520(max distance where i shoot) to fine tune my abilities.

i have had a friend put snap caps into my rifle to train for hangfire/working through malfunctions as well. it takes a bit of discipline to NOT eject a round out of a rifle when you ONLY hear the firing pin. i mainly do this in bolt guns. for semi auto i practice clearing the weapon incase of a malfunction.

every once in a while we'll get a group of buddies together and blast clays with our shotguns. i love shootin clays.

after shooting for my entire life and developing muscle memory, i still believe shooting firearms proficiently is a perishable skill and while practice is not only fun and relaxing, its necessary!

how about you guys? do you just punch paper? drills? fire from cover? 3 gun stuff? clays? what say you??
Depends on where you or I am .
Most RANGES . don't let you run and gun.
If you can find a spot out in the woods and or dessert .that. You can set up a multiple target deal .pra practicing what you want.would be best .
Even better if you can get a like minded freinds to practice with you.
JUST IN CASE YOU SHOOT YOUR SELF .
LOL

Depends on where you or I am .
Most RANGES . don't let you run and gun.
If you can find a spot out in the woods and or dessert .that. You can set up a multiple target deal .pra practicing what you want.would be best .
Even better if you can get a like minded freinds to practice with you.
JUST IN CASE YOU SHOOT YOUR SELF .
LOL

yes, private land has its advantages for sure!

I second the snap caps or dummy rounds as a part my normal range practice. I've recently started to time certain drills as it adds stress to the drill which can help to prepare for stressful situations.

The main drill I focus on at the range is not getting shot by any dope in the stall next to me... ESPECIALLY them tall mofo's in WaRshington... LOL! ;)

Pretty sure it was YOU shooting at the wrong target. Wanna try again?

:D

Oathkeeper 1775 range training plan

Weekly; 1 or more of the following:

Decision-making (aquire, delineate & act)#1
Communication (btw 2 or more)#2
Weapon operation (a-z + ambi) #3
Accuracy (bowling pin standard)#4
Gas mask #5
Maneuver (offense-successive bounds) #6
Maneuver (defense-alternating bounds) #7
Support by Fire & React to Ctr Attack #8

Tasks 5-8 include tasks 1-4.

General scope; recognize and correct weaknesses.

Gettin older has forced me to change what and how i train! I usually try to get my cardio up, and muscles tight, and start out with pistol drills, failures, reloads, and CQB movement, usually with transition to/from a carbine and or shotgun!
Carbine/Rifle drill focuses on shooting from static, on the move, Counter sniper, and snap shooting from improvised positions at unknown ranges, from point blank to what ever range the place im shooting allows! Failure drills, weapons clearing and function checking, and field maintenance drill!

Not sure if you'd call it a drill or exercise...or what ...
But when at the local outdoor public shooting area....I like to pick out the smallest bit of leftover clay bird or a spent shot shell and make a clean one shot hit on it...

This is really fun to do after someone says :
"Can you really hit something with those old guns...?....:D
My favorite thing to do is simple...just make my next shot better than my last shot.
Andy

Normally, I have a plan when I head out to the range that depends on the pistols I'm bringing and what I want to accomplish. I like to use the drills and targets that can be downloaded from Todd Green's site pistol-forum.com.

My favorite warmup drills are the 26662 and the X-drill. When I forget the targets at home, I use a combination of 6" paper plates, 3X5 cards, 3" Post-its, and 1.5"X2" neon Post-its which I carry all the time in my range bag. I train mostly at 7 yards and bang a few off the 25 yards steel targets.

When pistol practicing, I shoot both hands, single strong side and weak side.

Odd thing is, I often shoot slightly more accurately with my weak hand.

I often start out close to the target and gradually lengthen the distance.

Mostly, I shoot about 200 rounds per session.

If shooting a long rifle, generally only shoot about 60 rounds before I've had enough.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top