JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
anyone here know of a place where you can get good training while shooting out past 500 meters? Haven't done any long range shooting, don't even have a bolt action yet, but Christmas is almost here and I am going to be getting myself one.

Might look at Thunder Ranch in Lakeview, once you figure out what you'll own & shoot.

It's unlikely a class would supply long guns these days, however I believe some CMP high power courses/classes used to.

Might look at Thunder Ranch in Lakeview, once you figure out what you'll own & shoot.

It's unlikely a class would supply long guns these days, however I believe some CMP high power courses/classes used to.
Thanks, I will check into this. Ideally it would be closer to Clackamas but with limited options, I may need to make the long drive to do this.

anyone here know of a place where you can get good training while shooting out past 500 meters? Haven't done any long range shooting, don't even have a bolt action yet, but Christmas is almost here and I am going to be getting myself one.
I took Long Range 1 from McCluskey Arms/Sidewinder Concepts earlier this year. Excellent two day class that I wish I would have taken before buying any of my long range gear. I easily would have saved more than the cost of the class by not making the poor choices I made with my original gear selection. The private range is awesome, going from 100 yards all the way to 2500 yards with steel already in place with proper berms in place. You shot off a raised platform build on top of a shipping container that is covered so you are elevated in addition to some additional shooting positions and scenarios.

In my opinion you are doing this right by not having your rifle and optic already. I am also going to assume you don't have much of the other long range gear either. One of the great things about the class is the exposure to a wide range of gear covering budget options to top dollar which allows you to see what does and doesn't work for you. You will be dialed in and ringing steel at a 1000 yards by the end of day one and feel confident in your abilities by the end of the two day course. They also have gun rentals for the class in addition to providing quality spotting equipment if needed.

Link: https://www.themccluskeyarmscompany.com/long-range-1
One of the attendees did a Vlog of the course. A bit lengthy but some great info in it and gives some good shots of the range and items covered in the course:

Last Edited:
I took Long Range 1 from McCluskey Arms/Sidewinder Concepts earlier this year. Excellent two day class that I wish I would have taken before buying any of my long range gear. I easily would have saved more than the cost of the class by not making the poor choices I made with my original gear selection. The private range is awesome, going from 100 yards all the way to 2500 yards with steel already in place with proper berms in place. You shot off a raised platform build on top of a shipping container that is covered so you are elevated in addition to some additional shooting positions and scenarios.

In my opinion you are doing this right by not having your rifle and optic already. I am also going to assume you don't have much of the other long range gear either. One of the great things about the class is the exposure to a wide range of gear covering budget options to top dollar which allows you to see what does and doesn't work for you. You will be dialed in and ringing steel at a 1000 yards by the end of day one and feel confident in your abilities by the end of the two day course. They also have gun rentals for the class in addition to providing quality spotting equipment if needed.

Link: https://www.themccluskeyarmscompany.com/long-range-1
One of the attendees did a Vlog of the course. A bit lengthy but some great info in it and gives some good shots of the range and items covered in the course:
That would seem exactly what the OP is looking for!

Classes coming up in a few weeks too.

Shooting distance is not difficult. Once you realize it is just knowing your bullet drop and reading the wind it becomes similar to shooting groups at 100. You can learn a lot just on YouTube and from local matches. One of the biggest resources is other shooters at the matches around here.

Douglas ridge puts on high power clinics. You learn to shoot both positions and distance. It is dominated by 20" AR-15's.

Tricounty has high power matches. During the winter they shoot the whole course of fire at 600 yards. It is nice because you are under cover and they use electronic targets. There is also another shoot, same distance and targets, but I am unfamiliar with it. I think it is in the evening during the week.

COSSA outside bend has a clinic for 1000 yard matches they put on and have regular 1000 yard matches there. You learn a lot about wind and mirage there. There is also long distance matches where they shoot at steel.

Look at the OSSA rifle schedule for types of matches and clinics offered locally. OSSA High Power Schedule

Ne 21st and the Banfield Expressway in the green belt facing almost due west..
Lots of target's in the 500 meter range..

:s0111:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top