JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So let's say you where going to build a private indoor range, single lane about 5ft wide 55ft long. Outside of city limits. But you want to keep it quite so you don't annoying the neighbors. Mostly looking for solutions to mitigate the sound and recommendations on the bullet trap (up to 308). When I search I mostly get companys wanting to sell you things to reduce interior range noise or really expensive sound proofing options.

My thoughts so far are a double wall (interior and exterior drywall not conected on separate studs to minimize vibration transfer) and safe n sound rockwool insulation woven between the studs. Having trouble finding acoustic drywall stock/prices. Maybe do a double layer of drywall with acoustic glue securing the 2nd inside layer ? Trying to avoid spending alot on fancy soundproof products and instead use common supplies smartly.

So let's say you where going to build a private indoor range, single lane about 5ft wide 55ft long. Outside of city limits. But you want to keep it quite so you don't annoying the neighbors. Mostly looking for solutions to mitigate the sound and recommendations on the bullet trap (up to 308). When I search I mostly get companys wanting to sell you things to reduce interior range noise or really expensive sound proofing options.

My thoughts so far are a double wall (interior and exterior drywall not conected on separate studs to minimize vibration transfer) and safe n sound rockwool insulation woven between the studs. Having trouble finding acoustic drywall stock/prices. Maybe do a double layer of drywall with acoustic glue securing the 2nd inside layer ? Trying to avoid spending alot on fancy soundproof products and instead use common supplies smartly.
Have it all underground and nobody will hear a thing.

If above ground I would research how to build an actual gun range and then mimic that with less expensive materials.

+1 to underground. You could also look into building an isolation box for the shooter - basically a soundproofed box to soak up most of the noise. Then you would limit the amount of soundproofing needed for the rest of the range length.

Whatever you build, make sure you aren't running afoul of your property's zoning. Last thing you want is to deal with a legal battle over it.

Underground isn't really an option and would come with its own set of challenges including water management so it wasn't a river 6 months out of the year.

Everyone out here shoots on there property, I just feel like we may want to practice more then most and don't want to annoy anyone.

Some of the bullet makers use (used to) tunnels for the bullet path, with a remote accessible target area and firing point from inside a building. Drainage pipe? 55 gallon drums welded end-to-end? Utility vaults?

Above-ground pipe, 3 ft diameter, with a target rail thing? Then one end in a berm built up with clay and hard structure inside?

Edit. Might help reduce reports a bit, especially if you could wrap insulation n stuff on outside, basically a giant silencer tube but not attached to guns :s0140:

Already mentioned this in I think 3 previous threads but one guy in Vancouver made two holes in house foundation in the basement maybe 36" in diameter. Then dug two 50' long tunnels. Had little electric motors to run the targets out. Only problem is his yard was not wide enough so the tunnels actually went under the neighbors property also. That probably wasn't too smart.

We already have space set aside basically a 5ft x55ft hallway in an unoccupied building.

Ventilation should be pretty simply with stuff I have laying around. fresh air in on shooters end bad air out at bullet end. Should pull any potential lead out and the draft should help with any smoke from the gun.

These work well, These are from my range. The barrels are on barn door tracks so I can move from left hand shooter to right hand. There are two barrels each, with old tires in each one. They Imported Photos 00007.JPG act as mufflers. Imported Photos 00003.JPG Imported Photos 00002.JPG

Have it all underground and nobody will hear a thing.

If above ground I would research how to build an actual gun range and then mimic that with less expensive materials.
+1 to underground. You could also look into building an isolation box for the shooter - basically a soundproofed box to soak up most of the noise. Then you would limit the amount of soundproofing needed for the rest of the range length.

Whatever you build, make sure you aren't running afoul of your property's zoning. Last thing you want is to deal with a legal battle over it.
+2 for underground.

My long term plan is to bury two 40' containers end to end that would have about 3 feet of dirt on top of them. Line the shooters area plus an additional 10 feet beyond the bench with music studio acoustic foam panels. Simple ceiling vents every 8' or so in the ceiling that would get ducted up through the dirt with rain caps.

Far end would be cut open and bullets would just go into the earth. Could also do large Kevlar panels in front of the dirt too.

Current price tag is under $15k with used containers and level IIIA kevlar at the far end.

We already have space set aside basically a 5ft x55ft hallway in an unoccupied building.

Ventilation should be pretty simply with stuff I have laying around. fresh air in on shooters end bad air out at bullet end. Should pull any potential lead out and the draft should help with any smoke from the gun.
If you already have drywall I would use as is. You can put another wall layer with silicone between studs and drywall to prevent noise transmission from drywall to studs or better yet use soundboard or used/new carpet padding plus drywall but that has a lot of expense for little return imo. Noise follows air so most of the noise is going to go out the openings where air can get out (most likely your ventilation areas). Maybe try to baffle or minimize those.

+2 for underground.

My long term plan is to bury two 40' containers end to end that would have about 3 feet of dirt on top of them. Line the shooters area plus an additional 10 feet beyond the bench with music studio acoustic foam panels. Simple ceiling vents every 8' or so in the ceiling that would get ducted up through the dirt with rain caps.

Far end would be cut open and bullets would just go into the earth. Could also do large Kevlar panels in front of the dirt too.

Current price tag is under $15k with used containers and level IIIA kevlar at the far end.
Whatever design you go with, probably worth hanging some heavy duty rubber mats at the far end to minimize chance of ricochets.

@jbett98 definitely planing on using rockwool probably woven between studs. I'll do a 2x6 base and header panel with the 2x4 stagged and offset to there respective sides so the drywall isn't coupled together

@Dillon1000 l was already planning a tire setup for the outdoor rifle range

@ilikegunspdx i dont have the drywall yet but will be buying a bunch for the surrounding areas so will have plenty on hand

@bradsteen I have some nice very dense mats on hand that will work perfect for that

@jbett98 definitely planing on using rockwool probably woven between studs. I'll do a 2x6 base and header panel with the 2x4 stagged and offset to there respective sides so the drywall isn't coupled together

@Dillon1000 l was already planning a tire setup for the outdoor rifle range

@ilikegunspdx i dont have the drywall yet but will be buying a bunch for the surrounding areas so will have plenty on hand

@bradsteen I have some nice very dense mats on hand that will work perfect for that
If underground isn't an option I would do an iso box (basically a shack, call it 6'x8'x8') line the interior with heavy duty soundproofing, have an 2' x 3' aperture to shoot through, which can lead into your tire baffle stack. As long as you design it so the muzzle of any firearm stays well inside the iso box, that should do a pretty decent job of keeping things relatively quiet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top