JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I couldn't really answer the question as to which 5 "guns" because there are so many good manufacturers and that is really a Ford/Chevy thing. I persoanlly think that the minimum number of guns a guy should own is 6 (see below).

1. 22lr rifle (for plinking and small critters)
2. 22/250 (ultimate varmint caliber)
3. 25/06 (ultimate small game caliber)
4. 338WM (most efficient large game caliber)
5. 12ga shotgun for the birds
6. Any caliber handgun you choose. My favorites are: 9mm, .357, and .460 (so that you can shoot .45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W)

This is the starting point. After you own these very efficient calibers, a guy can start collecting "fun calibers" and styles (levers, AR's, etc.)

1. Semi-auto handgun of appropriate caliber, accuracy and reliability for up close and personal self protection
2. AR or AK for protection (and some possible game harvesting)
3. Shotgun for self protection and hunting (preferably 12 gauge)
4. .22 (or personal choice equivalent) for small game harvesting
5. "Larger" caliber scoped precision rifle for hunting and protection from four (or as necessary, two legged) predators

Sufficient ammunition and spare parts for EACH

I did my list by age.

#1 – A good old Daisy BB gun as a kid. I had more fun with friends as a kid and my BB gun.
#2 – Any 22 long rifle as teenager but, I prefer a 10/22. Cheap and very fun to shoot.
#3 – 18th b-day – 12 gauge shot gun. Again cheap to shot and mass damage. Great fun in throwing clay pigeons with a group of friends.
#4 – Any so called "assault weapon". An AK 47 just can't be beat put I prefer a good AR15
#5 – Finally a semi auto 9mm.

All the above will just lead to a life joy of shooting and waiting to expand your "FUN" factor.

Rem 870 or Moss 590
Ithaca model 72 or marlin 39 or even henry w/ octagon barrel. Lever .22's are the Shania Twain of rimfire!
AR 15
Beretta PX4
Rem 7mm mag

Extras for fun!

Trumark slingshot, Crossbow and a Webley patriot .22 pellet rifle.

Springfield XD,in .40 or 45;1911-A1(Hard to choose)

S&W 686 .357 Magnum

Remington 870 short barrel 12gadge

Classic M-14

Mauser M48,or a Mosin Nagant P38 or P44;(Theres' something to be said about those old bolt-actions)

I did my list by age.

#1 – A good old Daisy BB gun as a kid. I had more fun with friends as a kid and my BB gun.
#2 – Any 22 long rifle as teenager but, I prefer a 10/22. Cheap and very fun to shoot.
#3 – 18th b-day – 12 gauge shot gun. Again cheap to shot and mass damage. Great fun in throwing clay pigeons with a group of friends.
#4 – Any so called “assault weapon”. An AK 47 just can’t be beat put I prefer a good AR15

All the above will just lead to a life joy of shooting and waiting to expand your “FUN” factor.

Same progression I went through. Whether you end up sticking with them of not it seems like you should have your man card "punched" for having certain guns, B.B. gun - CHECK, 10/22 - CHECK, 12 guage - CHECK, "assault weapon" - CHECK, 9mm pistol - CHECK. :s0155:

Tough one but I'm going to take a stab at it.

1) Shotgun, probably an 870 but some sort of a pump shotgun
2) A good 22 like the 10/22 or a marlin M 60. Tube feed but a good shooter for cheap.
3) Ruger number 1. Caliber depends on your needs.
4) Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag.
5) Good lever gun like a Marlin 1895.
Can't stop. This is less than I carry with me for one trip into the woods! 6) A good compact wheel gun of some sort for carry
7) Sharps rifle or at least a trapdoor
8) A Colt SAA 45
9) Remington Sendero, again caliber depends on your shooting needs.
10) A T/C encore handgun in your choice between 243 and 30-06.

I did my list by age.

#4 – Any so called “assault weapon”. An AK 47 just can’t be beat put I prefer a good AR15

All the above will just lead to a life joy of shooting and waiting to expand your “FUN” factor.

This is pretty much exactly the path I took. This list is great.

i'v had to realy work the--buy --sell--,and--trade methods to end up with what i have.it took 2 1/2 years-these are my MUSTS
1. bar 7mm rem mag--had it machined so i could charge it :s0155:
2. ruger 96/22 mag :s0155:
3. marlin 30/30
4. amt lightning 22 lr :cool:
5. brown hi-cap 9 mm
steven

Same progression I went through. Whether you end up sticking with them of not it seems like you should have your man card "punched" for having certain guns, B.B. gun - CHECK, 10/22 - CHECK, 12 guage - CHECK, "assault weapon" - CHECK, 9mm pistol - CHECK. :s0155:

I have all of those in my safe (amongst others) and my oldest kid (17) is up to the 12 gauge level and his younger brother is one step behind him.

The only thing that is a must have is a good deer caliber by the age of 12....preferably a .243 or something in that range.

Good list!

5 Guns I'd Like
For Handgun it has to be top of the line reliable....I've had my glass of koolaid today so I will say GLOCK is #1. Only if it is chambered in 9mm
Next something to take small game with....17HMR or 22 LR...Semi Only
Next 3 are
Shotgun in 12 GA....if the choice is any gun I'll take the super 90.
Longe Range Bolt Action Rifle With a Nice piece of Glass.
AR 15 or a different semi auto rifle in 5.56 or 308

I would not take a AK...even though I've had 3 of them:s0155:

My list-
1. Remington 870 w/18" barr. and hi-cap mag. tube and a good stock set and a light.
2. High quality AR in 5.56, either 16 or 20", with a good light.
3. High quality "sniper" rifle, atleast .308 or bigger, w/high end accesories nessecerry.
4. Reliable and durable handgun, probably a Glock cause any caliber they make is substantial and I don't think they can be really beat for ruggedness and reliability. Also with a good rail light.
5. A Marlin or Winchester Lever gun, 30-30 or 45-70 or similar.

Preferablly for me, all the Tac Lights would be Surefires or Insights. I think any defense gun, that is not going to be concealed, should have a light on it, with atlease 90 Lumens of light. With this list you could defend yourself with multipul ways and hunt too.

1. Full-size Glock (in the caliber that you can comfortably shoot). Everyone needs a pistol that is guaranteed to work when needed.
2. AR. Everyone should be proficient with the country's main war rifle.
3. Beretta M9. Everyone should be proficient with the country's main war pistol.
4. AK. Everyone should be familiar with the enemy's main war rifle.
5. Compact Glock (in the caliber that you can comfortably shoot). For those times where (1) is too big to carry.

Well my 2 cents
1. AR15 stamped 5.56 (will work with both .223 and 5.56) rule of thumb go with a complete AR not a frankenstein build for the regular Joe.
2. Long range weapon .308 or better (.308 is very common or standard hunting rounds)
3. 12 gauge is a must have! (make sure u have both long and short barrel if u have only 1 make sure it goes to 3")
4. Good 9mm, .40, or .45 but not some off brand parts could be hard to come by or fix. (glock,hk, xd, beretta, etc. You get the picture)
5. A good 1911 or .357 well I guess that could go with #4 .22 rifle would be good as well. Undecided lol.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top