JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure why there is all the love for the 10/22 here. Personally, I am not a fan. They are cheap and OK, but not great guns. They come with an average barrel and a downright AWFUL trigger. On the other hand, you can get a Savage Mark II with a heavy barrel and very sweet match trigger with a Redfield scope for under $300.

I own firearms for four reasons:

(a) concealed carry
(b) home defense
(c) home defense if there was a serious emergency, rioting, the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it (TEOTWAWKI), zombie assaults, etc. - this means assault rifle
(d) hunting in TEOTWAWKI

Because I plan for (c) and (d) (or at least, think about them), I am generally more interested in widely-used firearms than one-off super-custom creations.

If you make me boil it down to five, here is my list (assume scopes, night sights, etc. where applicable):

(1) Glock 19 - for concealed carry now

(2) M1A .308 - you can hunt nearly anything with this and it is (in my mind) the ultimate battle rifle. Leupold LR/T scope, Smith Enterprises mount (those are as important as the rifle itself)

(3) AR-15 A3 - simply for the commonality of both gun and ammo, also for less strong members of the family

(4) Savage Mark II .22LR - have to have a .22LR in there somewhere

(5) Remington 870 or Mossberg 500-series 12ga shotgun

If I could have five more, I'd take five spares of the above ;-) If ten more, then add a .45 1911 of some flavor (have to decide full guide rod vs. mil-spec), perhaps the M-6 Scout survival rifle, a .357 Mag revolver for commonality, a .30-06, and perhaps an AK of some flavor.

Ultimately, I find pistols only useful for concealed carry, or home defense if children are a consideration (easier to get it out of a GunVault than to unlock a shotgun at 2am).

I have been playing the gun game close to 30 years now and I found these to be not only my favorites but the ones I trust the most.

Glock 19 (33rd mags)

Remington 870 Home defense

AR 15/DSA SA58 (I have a problem deciding between them)

Ruger MKII 4in fixed

Ruger 10/22

I still find it very hard to think that everyone "needs" an assault rifle. I support the right to own one, and I have in the past (and by government's definitions, still do), but "must own"?

For the large majority of us who live in urban or suburban areas, assault rifles (ar's. m1a's. FAL's, etc) are not a practical choice for self defense. They are for engaging targets at extended ranges (>50 yards, say). A shotgun would fit this bill better. It still has the ease of use of a long gun, but doesn't have the over-penetration issue of an "assault rifle" (its amazing how the anti's have stolen and distorted a useful term).

Have a .22 for plinking and teaching (rifle and pistol). Have a centerfire handgun (for defense of home and person). Have a shotgun (for hunting and defense of home and person). Have a centerfire rifle for hunting (and defense if you like to play sniper).

Everything else is fun to have. FAL's, M1A's, and AR's are a blast to shoot, but if I could only own five, they'd be WAY down on the list.

I would have to say:

Rem 700 CDL 30-06
DPMS LR 308 AP4
FN SPR .308
Kimber SIS
Bushmaster M4A3

Just my fav's and with these I can handle just about anything. I do wish I did add one of my shotguns but they just did not seem to fit in.

I still find it very hard to think that everyone "needs" an assault rifle. I support the right to own one, and I have in the past (and by government's definitions, still do), but "must own"?

In America as it is right this moment, I agree. I have no use for an assault rifle (though I could hunt with .308). As of today, I could only make a case for a pistol for concealed carry and a shotgun for home defense.

However, the assault rifle comes into its own - and indeed, is the only choice - in disaster or end of the world as we know it situations. If there was a major, sustained emergency, a natural disaster, the big comet hit, TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, or whatever, an assault rifle is the only choice.

Allow me to quote Dr. Bruce Clayton, author of _Surviving Doomsday_:

"Although all firearms have the ability to take a person's life, only a
few have the ability to _save lives_. I am referring to firearms
designed...to shoot time after time without jamming; to stand up to misuse
and mishandling; to require a minimum of skill for effective use; to
minimize the time spent in reloading; and to provide the penetration,
range, and accuracy needed for combat. Out of the total range of firearms
available, only a few meet all of these criteria. These are the military
assault rifles."

I would point out that Clayton was writing in 1980 and his idea of an assault rifle is an HK-91. There are plenty of "sporterized" assault rifles that wouldn't meet his definition - an AR-15 that has been made into a varmint plinker is not what he was thinking of. But as regards a true "battle rifle," he is right on the money.

BTW, I would argue that an M1 Garand is just as viable (albeit with its ammunition and weight drawbacks) a battlefield weapon for the individual civilian as an AK-47 or AR-15. The point is not specifically the ammunition capacity or the modernity, but rather the firearm's ability to hold up to abuse and keep working.

Most hunting rifles do not fall into the same category of hardiness. Most people shoot a box or two out of their .270s every year, which is what they're designed for.

1. 22 rifle. I prefer a wards western field bolt.
2. Rem 870, followed closely by ithaca 37.
3. N frame 357. I like 4 screw 27's.
4. Springfield 1903
5. K22, if you must have a semi, go for a buckmark.

Mountain Bear
I understand where you are coming from and that is your right but the looks of the firearms has nothing to do with what it is used for. A so called assault rifle is just a rifle with features that the media deems evil. Just my opinion

I did not state why I chose the firearm I did so I will now, it may and may not better explain why I chose them.

The Glock 19 this is a firearm I trust and have carried canceled and open for 5.5 years now. (I have had my Washington CCP for 30 years and my Idaho for 10) I trust it with my life. I cannot explain it any better other than it fits my hand, I shoot it well and I enjoy shooting it.

My Remington 870 Home defense has the 18 in bbl that I had threaded for screw in chokes. This allows me to put a full turkey choke in it for hunting turkey, standard full for grouse and a modified for buck and slugs for backpacking in bear country. A bit short for ducks and geese but could do in a pinch if need be with the right choke.

I have two AR 15s and two DSA SA58s and I use both type of firearms for hunting. The SA58 is a US made FAL in .308. I have hunted deer and elk with it for about 10 years now they work quit well. (Before the SA58s I used an M1A)
I know so many who carry bolt action rifles and in their fanny packs they carry 10 to 20 extra rounds of ammo for back up. I hunt in Idaho so I carry one 20 round Magazine. What is the difference if I carry it in a magazine or my fanny pack it still only takes one round to do the job?
The AR15s I use for varmints. I live in woods of North Idaho and we have a coyote problem and they work quit well for the job but I have also used them to hunt deer. Shot placement is the key factor not bullet size, weight or speed all though it is a plus for some things. That and the fact everything I have taken has been within 70 yards or less.

Ruger MKII 4in fixed I have used this for years to take out rabbits and hunt other small game. I carry it when I am hunting for this purpose so not to waste expensive .308 or the small game when hit with a .308.

Ruger 10/22 what can I say we all need a 22 rifle what better choice is there?

What defines an assault weapon? In World War I the 03A3 in 30-06 and the 7mm Mauser were the assault weapons of their day. The 30-06 is now one of the most common hunting rounds and the bolt action rifle is the most common type of hunting rifle used. It replaced the leaver action why? Because all the troops that came home from the war where used to these firearms and they were cheap to buy after the war. Today is not much different I was in both the Navy and the Army and I got used to the semi auto rifles and the layout of the controls so I feel more at home with them.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Different strokes for different folks.

What I have. Not necessarily a must have for everyone.

Bolt gun.. 1917 sporterized Eddystone
.22 rifle.. Marlin Papoose
Shotgun.. Mossberg 500, 18" barrel with a Butler creek folding stock.
Semi auto rifle.. FAL, I have almost all the parts to go to a folder
Pistol.. FNP45

That's what works for me.

I understand where you are coming from and that is your right but the looks of the firearms has nothing to do with what it is used for. A so called assault rifle is just a rifle with features that the media deems evil. Just my opinion

I understand, however the term assault rifle, although it has been perverted in the media to a negative connotation, also refers to the intended use of a particular platform (at least when used in its intended form and not to refer to something that just "looks" a certain way). An AR-15 and an FAL were both developed as platforms for military use. They have been somewhat successfully converted to civilian/hunting use (the AR more than the FAL), but that was not their original intended purpose. They can be used for purposes other than war, however, make no mistake, war was why they were developed. Anything other use is by chance, not design.

I love shooting assault rifles (I will no longer use quotation marks around this phrase as I believe we as firearms enthusiasts should reclaim ownership of this phrase). They are entertaining. I've had several AR's in different configurations, including a Bushmaster Predator model that I used to shoot at varmints. So I think they're worth owning. Some more than others. But to get back to the original theme of this thread, I just don't think they belong on a top five "must own" list.

After reading other people's posts, the only exception to the above (at least in my opinion), is if its all you have. Then it all goes back to "run what you brung," that is, shoot and use what you have.

As for the end of the world use for them, I just don't know. I think I'll just keep my opinion on that matter to myself.

I guess that I'll add mine.

A Ruger Mk l ll lll or whatever number is going now .22 caliber hand gun
A 10-22 rifle
Remington or Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun with several barrels
A good .308 bolt action rifle
A good .308 semi-auto rifle M1A or Fal

I wouldn't want to be restricted to just these but they would go a long ways to filling my needs

1) .22 LR rifle, I like a Henry Golden Boy, nice feel to it.
2) Hunting rifle for all North American Game, Bolt action 30-06 or .308, mine is a Savage 111 30-06 upgraded with a 2lb. accu-trigger. Cheap and very accurate.
3) Saiga 12 ga. Hands down most firepower of any shotgun, still good for hunting.
4) 5.56 AR-15. Lightweight, accurate, versatile.
5) any handgun you like. I like S&W wheel guns and fine accurized 1911s.

10mm Longslide 1911-For the woods & the range
.45 ACP 1911 CCO for a CCW
.357 Ruger Security Six 3"-Because we should all own a tank disguised as a revolver
6.5mm Swedish Mauser-because they are cool and they don't build them like this anymore
AR 15-Enuff said.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads