JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. 12 gauge pump.
2. 30-06 or .308 pump or bolt action
3. 9mm / 40 s&w concealed carry pistol.
4. 22lr rifle
5. Splurge on something like a high-end 1911, Python, restored Garand or something selective fire.

I'm glad to see many of my guns on everyones top 5 list, but why limit it at 5. I know they get pricey, but I'll be buying for a lifetime. It's reassuring to know I'm making good choices. Remington 870, Ar-15, Ak, glock, 1911, Sigs, M1A, 10/22, 686, ect. Maybe we should start a list of the top 5 guns to avoid like the plague. Here's my avoid list.

1: Anything made by High Point
2: Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin Or whatever the name is this week. Not sure if even still in business.
3: Smith and Wesson Auto Loaders except the bodyguard 380 and 1911 series
4: FN Five Seven with fixed sights (will shoot POI low no matter what ammo used. unacceptable for a gun that is $1k +)
5: Ruger Center Fire auto pistols. (How can a company that makes the best 22 rifle, outstanding rimfire autoloaders and great revolvers fail so badly at making a decent center fire auto pistol.

I know this will probably generate a reaction but I'd love to hear why I'm wrong.

A shotgun that you shoot good
A 22 rifle that you shoot good
A hunting rifle in the caliber that you shoot good
A handgun that you shoot good
A semi auto 30 caliber rifle of your choice

Here's my avoid list.
1: Anything made by High Point

Meh, you have to realize that Hi-Point guns aren't for practicle, everyday use. If you want a carry piece or a SHTF gun then, yeah Hi-Point is not for you. Want to plink around until the gun breaks but can't afford much? Perfect!

2: Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin Or whatever the name is this week. Not sure if even still in business.

Agreed. Unless you are a gun smith or have had these pieces "handed down" to you I would avoid them as well. I'd also add Blackthorn (aka Vulcan Arms) to that list...mainly because they've burned their customers so badly in the past.

3: Smith and Wesson Auto Loaders except the bodyguard 380 and 1911 series

Agreed again, except for the 1911s. Unless they've improved since the 90s I've heard horrible things about them and their customer service. I was told that S&W put out their 1911s with mediocre parts and poor fitting expecting people to customize them anyways. Horrible practice in my opinion. The only S&Ws I've ever owned were their revolvers, and they were good quality.

4: FN Five Seven with fixed sights (will shoot POI low no matter what ammo used. unacceptable for a gun that is $1k +)

Could it have just been that gun, or have you heard of this with more than one five-seven?

5: Ruger Center Fire auto pistols. (How can a company that makes the best 22 rifle, outstanding rimfire autoloaders and great revolvers fail so badly at making a decent center fire auto pistol.

Whaaaaat? I don't see anything wrong with any of their semi-autos. I do, however, have a problem with the statement that Bill Ruger made regarding hi-cap mags.

The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives.

This made me avoid Ruger products for many years. I cannot fathom how a firearm manufacturer would be for government regulation against gun owners. He has since passed away and their SC9c has been on my drool list for a while. There is nothing wrong with this gun.

The ruger p series semi autos just left a poor impression on me. I was talking with a local shop owner about new sr9 and sr40. He had to send the first one back days after it left the shop. I like the 1911 but have yet to find a shop with one in stock.

1) a Pennsylvania stye flintlock in .32 cal. Performs the most functions of a .22 and more. Must be flintlock. If God had intended us to shoot percussion caps he would have lined the creek bottoms with 'em.

2) A Colt .380 Pocket Hammerless. General Patton carried one. 'Nuff said.

3) A Webley Fosbury Automatic revolver. Solves the revolver vs. automatic dilemma and it's a .45 cal...even MORE...it's .455!

4) Trap Door Springfield .45-70. Big enough for buffler and someone once shot an enemy at about 1200 yds so you have the long range issue handled. Custer's troops used 'em...nuff said....uh...hmm...

5) 1897 Winchester trench gun. Cover's the close range defense issues and with the bayonet you can almost reach low flying geese. Marines used them in the trenches.'Nuff said.

5.1) (thereby avoiding cheating and going to 6) For zombies, starving rioting looters, invading Chi-coms or Russkies, it's the 1941 Johnson rifle hands down. As every internet savvy gunny knows, it's vastly superior to the M1 Garand because it holds 10 rounds and you can top off the magazine anytime with individual rounds and the M1 will only shoot 150 grain military surplus ammo or you'll break the op rod. 'Nuff said.

Ok, on that last 'nuff said, I couldn't stand it any more and had to slap myself. A list that's practical AND entertaining.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top