JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everything, more medical knowledge, we are averaging several hundred canned jars of food three years running, upgrading some things, wife can grow anything, preserve anything and is learning basic dentistry while getting paid for it, me, the fine art of improvisation, ie McGyvering stuff. EMP doesn't stress me, if it happens, not a hell of a lot I can do about it (and I am fully aware of it's effects have been involved in threat assessment in a previous life)....Grew up rurally so know how to get by with out power and having to carry water, etc. Life will get harder no matter if it's natural or man made disaster. Personally, if they start rounding up veterans.....bring more than one body bag because there will be more than one body.
never been detained or incarcerated in my life and don't plan on it at my age, I'm just sayin'
Brutus Out

And what pray tell is going to be worse than an economical collapse?
That would bring out the worst in the people and then bring out the worst in the government
You won't even notice the subduction plate columbia slippage thingy going on
what is worse is an EMP attack from another country. Many are becoming capable of delivering such a weapon.
Sifu

I'm worried about a EMP, which gets more real every day and possible. After that comes economic collapse. I was saving food for six months, but this prepping is addicting. I have a .380 handgun and ruger .22lr rifle. I save food, ammo and ways to cook and light the home. I have to be cautious how much I spend for stuff now and then, otherwise my wife will see to it that I'm living in a tent sooner than expected. :p

I think economic collapse is unavoidable within the next couple of years. Other than that, EMP and earthquake are worth getting paranoid over, but lower probability.

I'm outside the Portland metro area, but not very far outside. This bothers me. I wish I had a shack somewhere in eastern Oregon...

We are out in the country so a EMP would be my friend, I wouldn't have as many people driving out looking for houses to raid. I think of prepping as worst case scenario I'm back living in the 1850s with modern weaponry, modern antibiotics and do I have the skills to preserve food, keep warm and get clean water to my children, yes.

When EMP hits, meds will be much more difficult to make and for you to get it. That goes with any medication. That's why I'm purchasing meds on line. Good or not very effective, it's better than no meds.
You're lucky to be in the country, we are in the middle of the population, although the river is behind our backyard.
Make sure you stock up on ammo and oil lamps or solar lamps.
Remember the first thing people say when something terrible happens, "I never would have thought this would happen."
Take care.
Sifu

Salt and sugar are preservatives, sugar glazes food and cuts off oxygen it is an excellent trade item as well, stores easy as salt

I think you asked me somewhere to write article on BOB and etc. Well, I only write when inspired, but thanks anyway. As for BOB, I'm here to stay, we're not going anywhere. I've changed my address to read: Puyallup, Alamo. ;)

When EMP hits, meds will be much more difficult to make and for you to get it. That goes with any medication. That's why I'm purchasing meds on line. Good or not very effective, it's better than no meds.
You're lucky to be in the country, we are in the middle of the population, although the river is behind our backyard.
Make sure you stock up on ammo and oil lamps or solar lamps.
Remember the first thing people say when something terrible happens, "I never would have thought this would happen."
Take care.
Sifu

I'm not saying by any means because of where I am we are sheltered from everything we have plans. An all the things listed here and other things but just saying EMT I don't think is our largest threat. My husband works for a power company they drill for different scenarios frequently most don't end well.

I worry about economic melt down, civil unrest, and martial law. And major earthquake activity. I have been for years building and stashing, in multiple locations, extensive long term supplies. One thing that I have been adding as of late that I rarely ever see anyone talking about is salt. Several hundred pounds of it. Good for food preservation and barter. Any thoughts on salt or things I should look for when storing it long term?

The big thing would be keeping it dry, but it can always be dried out later when needed. It can be boiled back out of water and can also be cleaned and or sanitized this way! Just like the Indians did way back when! I use Clay packets and vac seal for small amounts. Bigger and I don't really worry about it!

This has probably been discussed before but I'm new and unfamiliar with the search feature...

So lets hear it! EMP? Bunker? Polar shift? Bug in? Forign invasion?

I'll start... I'm most concerned about an economic collapse. Our federal debt is out of control, inflation is going up, unemployment is too high, seems like a bad combo to me.

I live in the city so I have an INCH crate (plus what I keep in the tool box of my truck: jerk strap, come-along, flares, jumper cables, shovel, axe, snow chains, bolt cutters, fire starters...) with a variety of seeds that will grow year-round here in the PNW, reference books (mostly medically related) a week of mountian house for the wife and I several pounds of vacuum sealed long grain rice, first aid kit, can openers, rooster tails/lightweight rod, hand saw, 4-8x12 tarps, 6lbs of canned tuna, 3- knife sharpeners, a couple of tac knives, 2-0 degree sleepingbags, passports, vacuum sealed matches/lighters, grill, gallon of grain alcohol, 1000' para cord, more fire starters, 4k rounds of 22, 500+ 30-06 rounds, 1k 45 rounds, 300 .380 rounds (wife's pistol) 1 weeks worth of dog food (for three dogs), 10 gal drinking water. Plus what I carry on me every day and my secret bartering item.

I have no use for precious metals as I personally can't tell the difference in 14-24k gold etc. I also have no use for "black guns." I don't like the way the feel in my hands and consider the .223 round useless. Everything you can shoot with a .223 within 100yds; I can shoot with my 22lr, past that I can shoot a 4" group at 400yds with my '06

I also plan on grabbing my .22 pistols and rifles (4 in all), wife's Walther, my good 'ol trusty '06 and my HK which I trust my life to every time I leave the house.

I think that's about it. It may sound light to some of you but I grew up in the woods as a son of a survival school instructor. I have a vast knowledge of local edibles and consider myself good hunter and fisherman. The only reason I have this much stuff is to ease the wife's mind.

I've found a landing on a logging road that dead ends about 3 mi off the main line at about 2100' elevation in the cascades with water near by on a south facing slope with a 1000 yd view in all directions and 17 mi from "civilization"

I think I'm good :) please feel free to critique my preps and share what you may have!

Hey,

I can write forever, but I won't. I'm an old guy, a martial arts instructor for many years (just adults, no kids). I'm also a writer; I write articles for major martial art magazines and for prepping magazines. I'm expert enough to know that no one is an expert with nothing else to learn. Every expert differs on what essentials you should have.

I would say the first major question you have to ask yourself is, 'Do I want to really leave my home, my fortress with everything in it or do I what to leave and have to find a place to stay somewhere else unknown and may have to keep on the move?' Before you ask yourself that question, I would study the hell out of the YouTube on asking various questions on prepping, such as should I stay put or move, how much ammo should I have, do I have enough medical stuff and food to stay and the list goes on.

If you're young you can go on the road, but after a while, even if you're young, it will tear on you after a while. But that would be your choice, and once made it's done…. If you leave your home and vicinity that you are familiar with, and a week later you decide to come back, you may not be able to for many reasons. It depends on many factors which nobody knows but you. All magazines and YouTube can do is teach you how to save food and other survival stuff, but whether you leave your place or not depends on your reasoning and no one's else, we can give you our opinion without knowing all the things you know about your place and area.

If you have a cabin to go to, great; if not, I would think very hard about leaving your place. As for food, vacuum pack as much white rice and pinto beans as you can. If you can afford some dehydrated food once in a while, I found Augason Farms about as good as any. Their meats are really vegetable protein, but that's OK.

My main thing is EMP which can be from the sun or an explosion above the U.S. or the terrorists finally breaking through on the net onto our grids.

The experts will all have their pick of what kind of guns you should have. In the final analysis, just having a gun period, is necessary.

My wife won't let me spend too much money, but I get stuff now and then. I have a .22lr Ruger with Red dot sights and 25 found magazines. I can shoot the balls off a nat from three hundred yards.

Without going into particulars, here's some essentials you should have: Light (enough for two years), food, water and how to clean dirty water, ammo, meds and the means to always make fire.

Take care.

Sifu

I see prepping like a trip back in time to the late 1800's If my great grand folks could make out fine then, then I should have no problems! That said, I like to keep light and mobile. Keep my truck prepped and set, and different bug sets spread out that I can get to! I am never more then 500 meters from my truck so I at least have what is there, I can walk from work to home ( assuming it still stands) I can break things to get at things. And have several short and long term locals for bug out. If its a pandemic or like, I go north as far as possible ( Bugs do not do so well in cold) Plus, most people will head to warmer areas where they think food will be easier to get! Natural disaster and it all up in the air. E.M.P. bug plan needs to consider time of year to determine direction. Just having a direction and way to get there is the biggest problem I see. My truck can deal with an EMP but how far can I get? Most likely as far as fuel will take me, then its on foot! Social break down and what follows, is also a major concern. How much time it takes to see it start to circle the flusher determines my bug plan, but having a means to get there is still tops for a bug out plan! All the prep is worthless if all you have when you get there is what you can carry on your back! I can make do with that, and have the skills and means to go from there! For prep in place ( and I don't know if this still works) you can find larger quantities of dry food stuffs and seeds at local granges and the Morman's have there own outlets like this. A good way to gather larger amounts of dry goods and not end up on a list some where!

I see prepping like a trip back in time to the late 1800's If my great grand folks could make out fine then, then I should have no problems! That said, I like to keep light and mobile. Keep my truck prepped and set, and different bug sets spread out that I can get to! I am never more then 500 meters from my truck so I at least have what is there, I can walk from work to home ( assuming it still stands) I can break things to get at things. And have several short and long term locals for bug out. If its a pandemic or like, I go north as far as possible ( Bugs do not do so well in cold) Plus, most people will head to warmer areas where they think food will be easier to get! Natural disaster and it all up in the air. E.M.P. bug plan needs to consider time of year to determine direction. Just having a direction and way to get there is the biggest problem I see. My truck can deal with an EMP but how far can I get? Most likely as far as fuel will take me, then its on foot! Social break down and what follows, is also a major concern. How much time it takes to see it start to circle the flusher determines my bug plan, but having a means to get there is still tops for a bug out plan! All the prep is worthless if all you have when you get there is what you can carry on your back! I can make do with that, and have the skills and means to go from there! For prep in place ( and I don't know if this still works) you can find larger quantities of dry food stuffs and seeds at local granges and the Morman's have there own outlets like this. A good way to gather larger amounts of dry goods and not end up on a list some where!
If your truck is fairly new and we get hit with a EMP, your truck will probably not operate any longer. I'm no mechanic, but that's what I'm told. I'm not sure, do research, but I think cars / trucks that are in the mid 1980's will be OK to drive. check it out.
Sifu

I have not seen a post here yet talking about the mechanics of bugging. I am sure many here have some sense of the way things might play, and I say "MIGHT' This is not an end all be all guide, just some opinions.
Lets do a hypothetical and look at the actual mechanics. We get hit with a 9.0 or so right off the Oregon coast. That will affect us from the Seattle area to probably Redding Ca. Do you bug in? or Bug out! If you bug out, how are you going to get where you feel safe enough to stay even for just a short while? Can your bug rig make it that far? Can if carry enough supplies? Roads will be hard to travel and bridges will be damaged to some extent, if not impassable. We also have other things to worry about, Much of the northern part of the valley is swamp. extending from south Salem to Tacoma. Roads become choke points as well! Assuming you make it to your area of choice, how do you move forward? This is where I think most people are in there plans, not the getting there part.
Option two; bug in. If your home survived in tact or you can bug close, do you have a means to protect what you have? Can you get to what you have? Are you able to secure your place and make your self look to be not worth an effort? Are you on natural gas? fire becomes an issue with gas. Can or do you have means to barter and trade? That also includes services you might be able to offer that are needed in your area and no body else can do. Are you mentally prepared to kill if needed? Do you have enough supplies to last for a few months in place? Do you have a means to bug out if things become unlivable? See plan 'A"

Again, I'm not seeing this else were so I thought I would share it hear and now! This is just my thoughts and opinions, not facts, and only a small amount to think about! I see many very good posts here, and in fact find little to question! Every one has there own comfort level for what they feel they can do, and in the end, doing SOMETHING, is better then doing nothing!!

If your truck is fairly new and we get hit with a EMP, your truck will probably not operate any longer. I'm no mechanic, but that's what I'm told. I'm not sure, do research, but I think cars / trucks that are in the mid 1980's will be OK to drive. check it out.
Sifu
My truck Is 44 years old and has a one wire diesel engine! If I can crank it fast enough by hand, It will start and run! No electrical needed to make it run and drive! All mechanical! Electrical is for lights and heater, charging batteries!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top