JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol ok you have a point...

The way I see it, the number of "have nots" will far out weight the "haves" so I'll still have leverage with my item.

As someone mentioned earlier, "vice" items will be highly sought after.

Since I live in the Willamette Valley and my bug out location is within a couple hours drive of there I think that tobacco will be the hardest to come by. We have vineyards, marijuana growers are common and there's plenty of people who know how to make/find other drugs so I'm putting my chips on tobacco being the hardest to find and most desired item.

A couple years ago I found some heirloom tobacco seeds and started growing them and harvesting their seeds. One of the nice things about tobacco, I've learned, is it's highly adaptable so after a couple generations I have a strand that's does very well in the environment we have here. From what I've learned tobacco goes for more than heroin in prisons so I fully intend on becoming a tobacco farmer when SHTF. I'll admit, Marlboro would be ashamed of what I grow, it's about as smooth as a gravel road :) but it does the job.

I have to admit, I'm kinda looking forward to when SHTF.. As a public employee I'm coming to realize that the minuscule chance of ever being able to retire honestly from PERS and Social Security is slim to none. I've been told more than once that I was born in the wrong generation so disappearing into the woods sounds like the best chance I have :)

...I've been told more than once that I was born in the wrong generation...

Well, sort of. But every generation will experience some sort of SHTF once in their lifetime. Provided they live long enough that is. The only people who don't experience one are the folks who die off early. But ya, our SHTF will contain an extra-large amount of "S." Maybe that is appropriate since we are a "supersize it" culture?

I have a slightly different methodology; Ubermensch! The hyperborean mentality.

The maximum-effect which our human existence could survive would be any event that puts those of us who survive back to the 1890s. With that stated, I have a probable and obtainable lifestyle to train/prepare for (oil lamps, solar-power, kinetic energy, home remedies.....the pastoral or pre-industrial life our fore-bearers lived).

The only remaining variable(s) for me are/could be how much time I might have to react to whatever comes my way. I'm not waiting for a "big event" to kick my survival mode into gear; it starts now with education, nutrition, vigilance etc. I am already in my survival mode! We all are (or are not) to some extent, right?

I have established "triggers" and what my reaction(s) to those triggers would be, for example; my actions with 14 days notice (all vets being rounded up) are a lot different than what my action(s) would be if a gang of hoodlums suddenly approached my curtilage.

Another example of not waiting until its too late; in 1976 my grandfather told me there were too many people in California and I should look for another place to live/thrive, so I did whatever I had to do, which meant joining the army. That led me here; less than 10% of CA's population.

The three biggest mistakes I see people making are:

1. Expect the government to provide ANYTHING.
2. Not realizing that in any survival-situation, EVERYONE is a potential competitor, EVERYONE!
3. Waiting to be told to do anything.

Lastly,get a Ham Radio; a technician license is easy to pass and you wouldn't need a license to monitor, aka radio listening silence (RLS).

I dont have really have anything that I am prepping for.
I try and prep for anything that may come.

My plan is to a bug in plan for the most part. My wife is disabled with C.P. so cant walk or hick far and certainly not in rough terrain.
My twins are 4.5 years old.. that comes with its own difficulties.
I have plans with food. water. heat and cooking. power and fuel. Grade A fully stocked med kit. and a large garden of food. Along with a long list of your normal type preps. For the most part with what ever happens I will be bugging in at my place.
Should something go very wrong or that is not possible I do have plan B and more for other things as they come.

The thing about prepping.. You just never really know what will happen or what will develop. Just be a ready as you can for anything!

There's nothing to prep for.

I live it. The zombies. I have nutria that come and attack my beautiful winter garden.

So I put up a fence, turn on the floodlights, and have noise makers that trip when they come through.

We all get excited and then there's shooting.

The zombie apacolypse is here people!!!!

Take off the blinders!_!!

then after that we eat our neighbors... if they piss me off too much. ;)
You may consider fattening them up first. Maybe feed them freeze dried fruit or other sweet preps you've had stashed. Scavengers are said to have a gamey, almost fishy taste. Don't use the outdoor grill as you don't want others without food during SHTF to know you have food.

I am preparing for all of us to get majorly screwed. Stocking up on condoms, booze and PreperationH, so when the screwing really starts there is protection and once it is over there is first aid and enough alcohol to drink the memories away.

...knock, knock - hello we're from the government and we're here to help.

I strive to be reasonably prepared for all kinds of nasty surprises, but I don't consider myself a prepper per se. I am storing food for several weeks, water, medicine, and other necessities, which should get my family and me through most of the more likely scenarios.

The way I see it, local short-term disasters are much more likely than something that affects the entire country or even the whole world, so being prepared for my family means being able to survive until we can get out.

I strive to be reasonably prepared for all kinds of nasty surprises, but I don't consider myself a prepper per se. I am storing food for several weeks, water, medicine, and other necessities, which should get my family and me through most of the more likely scenarios.

The way I see it, local short-term disasters are much more likely than something that affects the entire country or even the whole world, so being prepared for my family means being able to survive until we can get out.

I have to ask where are you going to go when you get out??? Unless you have pre-determined location where you know you will be welcome, most people in a rural community are going to have so many relatives, friends and such showing they are not going to welcome strangers.

My wife and I are both pretty well traveled and can legally work and live in both the US and the EU. We also have family both on the East Coast and in Europe. Now, obviously this assumes open airports or at least open roads, but as I said, I am not assuming a national or global disaster. It would still be a pretty hard decision since the NW is our home, but when push comes to shove, one has to do what's best for the family of course.

I'm almost 70 in not so good shape, on medicine I would die without . I have no family or anyone I feel close to. I applaud what all you planners are up to and I would be doing all I could if I was in better health. I plan to stay in the inner city (if I survive whatever it is) and survive off what I got stashed, I am learning some basic locksmithing skills to get me into places, I'll hold out as long as I can, remembering to save the last round for myself. I personally feel the threat from EMP is the most likely scenario.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. My plan is to hang on as long as it seem reasonable and try to be of some help to kin, kith and neighbors. When I become a burden, I'm outta here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top