Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What and how are you prepping for?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by BullsBucksandBoars, Jan 16, 2013.

1. BullsBucksandBoars

BullsBucksandBoars The right place at the right time, OR Active Member

This has probably been discussed before but I'm new and unfamiliar with the search feature...

So lets hear it! EMP? Bunker? Polar shift? Bug in? Forign invasion?

I'll start... I'm most concerned about an economic collapse. Our federal debt is out of control, inflation is going up, unemployment is too high, seems like a bad combo to me.

I live in the city so I have an INCH crate (plus what I keep in the tool box of my truck: jerk strap, come-along, flares, jumper cables, shovel, axe, snow chains, bolt cutters, fire starters...) with a variety of seeds that will grow year-round here in the PNW, reference books (mostly medically related) a week of mountian house for the wife and I several pounds of vacuum sealed long grain rice, first aid kit, can openers, rooster tails/lightweight rod, hand saw, 4-8x12 tarps, 6lbs of canned tuna, 3- knife sharpeners, a couple of tac knives, 2-0 degree sleepingbags, passports, vacuum sealed matches/lighters, grill, gallon of grain alcohol, 1000' para cord, more fire starters, 4k rounds of 22, 500+ 30-06 rounds, 1k 45 rounds, 300 .380 rounds (wife's pistol) 1 weeks worth of dog food (for three dogs), 10 gal drinking water. Plus what I carry on me every day and my secret bartering item.

I have no use for precious metals as I personally can't tell the difference in 14-24k gold etc. I also have no use for "black guns." I don't like the way the feel in my hands and consider the .223 round useless. Everything you can shoot with a .223 within 100yds; I can shoot with my 22lr, past that I can shoot a 4" group at 400yds with my '06

I also plan on grabbing my .22 pistols and rifles (4 in all), wife's Walther, my good 'ol trusty '06 and my HK which I trust my life to every time I leave the house.

I think that's about it. It may sound light to some of you but I grew up in the woods as a son of a survival school instructor. I have a vast knowledge of local edibles and consider myself good hunter and fisherman. The only reason I have this much stuff is to ease the wife's mind.

I've found a landing on a logging road that dead ends about 3 mi off the main line at about 2100' elevation in the cascades with water near by on a south facing slope with a 1000 yd view in all directions and 17 mi from "civilization"

I think I'm good :) please feel free to critique my preps and share what you may have!

2. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Earthquake, and then social unrest/instability due to a highly-probable financial collapse in this country before 2017.

Peter

3. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

i would say you should have a single pack cut down to 30 lbs or less that include a .22 rifle ammo and cleaning kit and tuck it in a place where you can quickly get to it. having all of those supplies are fine and all but if you have 30 seconds to gather supplies then leave, what would you take?

4. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

I'm preparing for the inevitable disasters that strike all the time. Power outages, snow storms, earthquakes, windstorms etc. My philosophy is that if you're preparing for a specific event then you're off the mark. I'm just preparing in general and add a bit here and there to include a specific situation such as a Pandemic.

I AM concerned about Pandemic. I do have a couple packages of P100 masks (also used when I'm in the crawl space or attic), tyvek coveralls (painting, insulation work etc), gloves (heavy and light--painting, insulation), roll of plastic sheeting duct tape etc that would be used for PPE during that type of scenario. Also, I've got bleach as a disinfectant and a clean pressure sprayer for decon. Isolation is the best line of defense for Pandemic so that is something that jibes with my general preparedness.

When I go to the store I buy a couple extra of what I'm after then the extra goes in the preps which are then rotated into service (although not as regularly as I'd prefer). I never run out of toilet paper, dish soap, food, etc. Drives my girlfriend a little batty, but I think she's getting used to it and is appreciating never running out of something we use! Even the dog and cat have spare food, toys, treats, etc.

I keep a GHB in each of my vehicles so that, in the event of an earthquake or windstorm which renders roads impassable, I can walk home. That gear gets added to if I'm going to the mountains or in the winter. My GHBs are layered and redundant as well and complement my EDC stuff. I also have an ax, saw, first aid kit, shovel, rope & cord, tarp, etc in each vehicle.

5. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

6. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Bug-in prepping and working on a bug-out plan. I can't really rule out any scenario, so it's best to have a prep plan that covers at least the basics for all possible scenarios. I'm a long way from getting there though.

decklin and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. PolishedBrass

PolishedBrass Gresham, Oregon Active Member

Preppers as a term has become a derogatory term. Though oddly ... having insurance isn't looked down on.

I am prepped for probably 20-30 differing scenarios. ... as an example ... I have nice med kits ... supplemented them with feminine napkins and chitosan, (a quality "Quick Clot" substitute) antibiotics, grapefruit seed extract, clinoptilolite, Potassium Iodate etc etc

The only thing my prepping is weak on is:
    --- Biological / Chemical Warfare on a Grand scale.
    --- Insurgent activities within a biological or chemical war zone.
    --- Mobile big Screen TV with sound system.
    --- Portable College education for my kids.

Oh --- (Clinoptilolite removes toxins and Radiation from your system. Used by the Russians re: Chernoble)

8. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

Raccoons, something about them I just don't trust. I have stocked up on Aguila Super Calibri ammo. Really, I would say any sort of disruption in our daily lives. Could be power outage, income loss, accident, etc...

9. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

Clinoptilolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmmm you suggest introducing fertiliser into a persons system ?

10. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

I would say I prepare for everything... but most likely event will be economic collapse followed by civil unrest and martial law. I prepare one day at a time... getting something almost every day... Gotta love the dollar store! :) Make sure everything is well rounded and have/update plans accordingly.

Ura-Ki, Caveman Jim, Brutus57 and 2 others like this.
  11. PolishedBrass

Not much on solid research I see.

Wow! What are you here for ... just trollish comments?

That's ok ... I research properly ... and I see you don't. :)

12. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

Earthquakes, Forest Fires, Landslides, volcanoes, flash floods and heavy wind and/or electrical storms are the natural disasters I prep for, the rest of the things are all man made and could be as bad if not worse like invasions, EMP's & social breakdown.

13. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I'm not prepping for anything because the "expert" economists and scientists on Doomsday Preppers keep telling me the odds of anything happening is close to zero.

(But just in case - economic collapse and earthquakes because mainstream economists are bought and paid for shills, and if you live along the Ring of Fire you are an idiot if you don't have earthquake preparations.)

14. PolishedBrass

My prep level is pretty much off the charts ... Not really based on fear ... just wisdom, knowledge and quality info ...
    And I like the outdoors and nice quality stuff and have been slowly carefully collecting it for over 30 years.

Some of the items that people forget or don't think of are:

Barter Items (Big list ... But .. Tobacco, "all addiction servicing items", feminine napkins - they are great wound dressings when combined with Chitosan - a poor mans quick clot)
    Having 6-7 Ply Truck Tires and the clearance to drive over things.
    Holsters for every pistol. ( More critical than one might imagine)
    Chainsaw for clearing a path, firewood, or creating a roadblock.
    Beer or alcohol making equipment and supplies. (Brewers have a very high rate of employment and survival during bad times and invasions.)
    Seeds - All ... including Hemp and Poppy (Poppy resin and extract has been used during war for Thousands of years.)
    LED Grow Lights - Seeds for sprouting - A quality seed sprouter. (A decent solar panel plus an agm battery can give you an indoor and mobile garden space.)

There are so many other items ... but these are the odd but smart ones people tend to ignore.

I like a Cigar once in a while, use a Chainsaw, drive a 4x4 lifted Jeep, enjoy sprouts in my salads, drink occasionally, have a wife with her monthly, have proper med kits, etc etc.

15. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

In fact, how many government organizations tell us to get prepared, have a 72 hour kit, stock up, have candles, etc. These are but just a few:

Are you prepared?

Build A Kit | Ready.gov

Plan, Prepare & Mitigate | FEMA.gov

CDC Emergency Preparedness & Response Site

Emergency preparedness

Office of Emergency Management

We're just the ones who actually listened. There, I'm just doing what the government tells me to do!

16. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I'm almost 70 in not so good shape, on medicine I would die without . I have no family or anyone I feel close to. I applaud what all you planners are up to and I would be doing all I could if I was in better health. I plan to stay in the inner city (if I survive whatever it is) and survive off what I got stashed, I am learning some basic locksmithing skills to get me into places, I'll hold out as long as I can, remembering to save the last round for myself. I personally feel the threat from EMP is the most likely scenario.

Ura-Ki, Caveman Jim, Angie and 3 others like this.
  17. Hartebreak

Hartebreak Portland Member

For me, I think economic collapse or civil unrest leading to some sort of chaos is the most likely scenario. Having a supply of "stuff" is something that I am working on. The thing that is troubling me is up here in the Portland area, if the SHTF, I really am limited on directions I can go by vehicle. Trying to head anywhere on any of the major roads within 30 miles of Portland could be a disaster. I have 2 bug out areas in mind, but getting to them in 1 peice is a challenge I am working on.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Zombie Apocalypse.

Because if you're prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse, you're prepared for anything.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

My advice is to get a move on before SHTF. Be ready and don't dolly-wag.

20. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

To live a better life when times go bad......or even if they don't.