JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some info on blasting some coyote on the west side...

I know better than to ask about specific locations, etc....

However, we've never hunted them before and am not sure what the best way to go about it is.

Everyone talks about the east side being great for them, but my reality prevents me from making such a trip.

I would be primarily hunting in the Clark/Cowlitz county area as well as around Randle & Packwood

I dont see much online other than fools asking for specific hunting spots or guys showing off their kills.

Does anyone know a resource or can give up some tactics on getting them?

Scope clearcuts? meadows? abandoned logging roads?

Thanks!

In 25 years of living in and around Western Washington and spending a LOT of time in the woods Ive seen ONE coyote out in the woods. Ive seen literally thousands or coyote and red fox in towns where the garbage flows and tasty cats roam freely. We see more free ranging in Eastern WA including a lot of eastern style CayWolves that are damn near 1/3 larger than a full blood coyote.

I got one in my back yard on a regular basis but can't shoot the damn thing because there is no safe direction to shoot it from with out possibly hitting something like a neighbors house. :mad:

In 25 years of living in and around Western Washington and spending a LOT of time in the woods Ive seen ONE coyote out in the woods. Ive seen literally thousands or coyote and red fox in towns where the garbage flows and tasty cats roam freely. We see more free ranging in Eastern WA including a lot of eastern style CayWolves that are damn near 1/3 larger than a full blood coyote.

Same with me. I have lived here on and off all my life. I don't remember ever seeing one of these in the wild. See a LOT of them around people. They adapt VERY well to urban life. In the wild they must stay well out of site. When living in the SW where there was a LOT of open desert many would set up a blind and use the wounded rabbit sounds to draw them in. Here the woods make it VERY hard to get a glimpse of one much less a shot.

Ive found the best coyote weapon in W. WA is a 12 gauge set up for turkey hunting. They are hard to see from very far off out here, so quick trumps precise. A guy with a shooting lane might use a rifle, but have someone ready with a shotgun.

I only hunt behind gated areas with no motor vehicle traffic where I can find a dirt road intersection to set up on (bulldozed to be sure). They will use old roads to travel where there isn't a lot of traffic. I like fairly new cuts with lots of food for small prey creatures. If there are hawks around, its a good sign. Grasslands are harder to find, but they are good spots.

I got one in my back yard on a regular basis but can't shoot the damn thing because there is no safe direction to shoot it from with out possibly hitting something like a neighbors house. :mad:

This is why they thrive in urban area. Can't really shoot them, trash and pets make great food. They take a lot of small dogs and cats as well as smaller live stock. All this stuff is an easy food source for them. Both here and in the SW they took well to living around people. They can become a MAJOR nuisance.

I have done quite a bit of coyote hunting in Arizona but very little here. They have incredible noses and will almost always travel upwind to the call so position yourself and the call accordingly. They are definitely thick around here but they are very stealthily and have all the cover they could ever need. It seems that they get more careless around population and farms as they are used to seeing and smelling people and that's why they are seen more.

You need some stinky bait, an electronic call and boat loads of patience.

Unfortunately they are a lot like deer they have found their way in town and mostly reside in or very near town.

If you can find a place like washugal, camas, etc and go right on the boundary where you can use a firearm. Clear cuts or powerline grids.
Still you can hang out all day and not see crap.

Anytime you find fresh roadkill pick it up!
You will need real stinky far traveling sent to attract them.

Look like its going to be like winning the lottery...

My son is getting his first hunting license in February. Ive been looking for something that we can get out and do immediately since there wont be any big game until the fall.

Yotes seemed like a safe bet.

My inlaws have property up on the Cowlitz just west of Packwood and we can hear them out there at night. Never hunted the damn things... but now seems like a good time to start. I suppose we will just have to get out and spend a lot of time in the woods;)... see what we see.

Start with squirrel hunting. Hang the squirrels up and turn on the elec call. Sit back and enjoy the outdoors.

Hunting for me is about being out in the woods, being out in nature, and being as far away from the crazy world we suffer through. Work, bills, politics, news, etc.

The harvest is just the cherry on top.

Well a little late to the party...
Lots of Coyotes here in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
I see 'em when hunting fairly often.

If you are ever up around here , I'll be glad to show you a couple of spots.
Andy

The only song-dog I've ever seen in Western Washington was when I was driving to my son's school to pick him up around 4:30. The coyote was trotting down the sidewalk on a major street in Seattle like it was no big deal. About the biggest one I've ever seen.

I'd like to think it was doing its part in controlling the yipper dog and cat population.:p

I have no "hate" for coyotes ... Just offered to show a few hot spots where I hunt.

I do understand how coyotes do keep the rodent and vermin population down.
I also see 'em with cats , small dogs , grouse , chickens etc ...
Andy

If you think Coyotes control the vermin you should see red foxes at work. I used to manage a facility that had a horrible rat problem. I even bought a night vision scoped pellet gun for the production supervisor to play with . Apparently that guy couldnt see or hit squat. A family of foxes moved in on the property and the rats were gone in a month or so. Lots of fat fox pups. Then the foxes moved on.

Why all the hate on these guys? I stongly dislike hunters who blast living breathing animals, they do not intend to eat, and have zero respect for.

Had a pack of 3-5 coyotes that came round regularly to pounce.... clean out the mouse/rat population on my 5 acres. Cats know to find the pergola/roof or a tree. They watch the boundry even now, two years after I last saw/heard a coyote here.

Locals shot them all. Now I have the neighbors whining this winter - how the mice are infesting their dog and goat food stores. Even finding mice in the garage and under the house, in there muck boots... LOL.

Consequences! :confused:

I have no hatred for any living thing. But there is a time and a place where they become to comfortable and can due harm to other animals and pets or humans depending on the animal. ( cougar ) I will at all cost protect my family foreign or domestic. ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top