JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to kill some (the loud way) way close-in Portland. They kept messing with my dog and I knew how things would go.

Whatcha needs is an eagle! (actually, I had to blast an owl and a hawk trying to take that dog too.. just remembered)..

I have lived in north Tacoma for about 40 years and up until about 5 years ago we never even heard of a coyote in that part of the city but now they are seen regularly. They are great at adapting to anywhere there is food. I live next to Jefferson Park and quite a few outdoor cats have disappeared as a result of coyotes catching and eating them. We also have deer moving into the area. It is kind of cool to see the wildlife in the city but you wonder what will be next.
james

I grew up on a farm here in SW Washington. My family had an original homestead and we mostly raised beef cattle. We would lose several calves each year to yotes, in fact I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 when I finally saved up enough and bought my first cow at auction. My cow gave birth a little less than a year later and coyotes happen to be there the birth... They of course decided to make the calf a meal but the real troubling thing is they didn't stop at the calf, they kept eating up into the mother. Needless to say I lost the start of my herd in one night. Pretty hard lesson for a little boy to learn...
I don't have much of a soft spot for coyotes as I have seen how bold they can get when their numbers aren't controlled and they pack up in large enough numbers. We even had them sneak into the barn and kill cows that we had penned up when they were sick. They of course killed countless chickens and goats as well. My grandpa was constantly trapping and hunting them and even as a kid I was extremely grateful since I knew what they would do given the chance. When I hunted them in Arizona it was in our deer hunting areas and for a woman on her 1700 acre cattle ranch that she allowed us to hunt mule deer on in return. All that being said, I do hunt coyotes for meat, just not their meat.

To me anyone that gets upset over the hunting of coyotes and other predators is simply niave. It kills me how many people think the world is supposed to exist without people so we should have no impact on wildlife. We are the natural predators to these animals, in fact were in competition! I understand using what you hunt and have never been a trophy hunter but thinning the predator population preserves our harvestable animal population, and who else is gonna do it?o_O

(actually, I had to blast an owl and a hawk trying to take that dog too.. just remembered)..

Whooooo, me?
100_1504.JPG
My neighbor behind us wanted me to shoot it. I declined. As far I'm concerned, it can take all the squirrels it wants. Doesn't look big enough to get my dog nor his.

Whooooo, me?
View attachment 335882
My neighbor behind us wanted me to shoot it. I declined. As far I'm concerned, it can take all the squirrels it wants. Doesn't look big enough to get my dog nor his.
The one I shot was a Great Horned.. it was dark and happened fast. It was pretty weird but at least my dog was ok.
didn't really have time to muse or ponder on it

They are cool birds. An eagle won't even mess with a big one. We have a couple snow owls that live near the plant i manage during the Winter. They are very big also.

Yea, they are awesome.. I've been a long time bird lover.
I only brought it up because that video I linked reminded me of that.
Just saw this.. it's in the news and musta happened on dec 28th.. lol

Now back to coyotes!

Just as I was reading this about birds this one flew into the maple tree in front of my window. I've seen it in the neighborhood for a few weeks. I believe it is a female sharp-shinned hawk, but not sure. A second-order user of our bird feeders. WP_20170117_008.jpg

There's just so much cover in the west that it's problematic.
Try to use fields/openings to your advantage, in conjunction with a call of course. They're sure around.. lots of 'em.
A shotgun might be the ticket. Bring all three guns.. handgun, rifle and shotgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top