JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I take care of a few feral cats.
Luckily there is a program to spay / neuter for a lowered cost.
We keep 'em fed and have some shelters for them.
They are generally well behaved and are fun to watch.

That being said feral cats can cause havoc with the songbird and mouse / other vermin in the area.
IF more folks were to spay or neuter their pets we might have less ferals.
Andy

Well worth doing! Feral cats are worse than yotes.

They crap in the planters, then the dog eats some or rolls in it and smears it down the side of it's ear/face/shoulder. Nothing smells worse that cat sh*t. Well maybe pig sh*it but I don't want those wandering around either.

We have a neighbor that takes care of these ferals. Has a cat door for them. 8 bowls of food and water. If he wouldn't feed them, we'd have less problems to deal with. But he has a soft heart. I used to trap them but the shelter won't take them anymore. So either I'm screwed or the ferals are. Not going to put up with cat sh*t coming into the house.

I hear you on the cat sh!t ... where we live its close to the river and a woodlot sooo ...plenty of potty space.

Our shelters are overcrowded here as well.
Sure wish more folks would spay or neuter ... Not to forget to mention the lovely people who abandon their cat when its no longer a cute kitten or they move ...:mad:
Andy

Long rambling post here (Im just about to head out to work and trying to put it off)

I see coyotes in town about once a week..saw one yesterday on the trail behind my house!
Saw one running right down the middle of Stark St. near 92nd in Portland..
There is a pack that howls like crazy every night in the lot next to my work in Delta Park..

We used to go to an abandoned city owned 10 acre parcel on the Clackamas,right behind the Oregon City shopping center to walk the dogs-There were coyotes there EVERY time we went,in broad daylight..One had become so brazen that when my dog chased him into the blackberry bushes,he came right back and chased my dog!
I swear they were playing.

I stopped going there after a scary experience-it was at dusk last summer;something just came over me,a feeling of dread is all I can describe it as..well,the dogs felt it too,got REALLY nervous all of a sudden,and alerted like I have never seen them do before or since..I stopped in my tracks,took a look around,and through the blackberries I see a large tan flash doing double time..too big and wrong color for a coyote,too short and lithe for a deer.
Cougar!

Another time on HWY 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish I rounded a corner and saw a HUGE pile of watermelons in a turnoff..obviously they were bad and were dumped there,but even more surprising was the pack of coyotes crawling all ove the pile!
There was one at the top,and he just looked at me.

I have a friend who is into the Native American thing,and she swears the coyote is my spirit animal.
I would never hurt one,unless it was attacking me.But people are free to do what they want!

And finally,I'm trying to find some feral cats to come control the rats that are living off of our chicken feed..Told my wife the best thing to do would be to get rid of the chickens,but that's not an option apparently.
I do have fun shooting the rats,but can only do it Saturday when she is at work (Damn animal lovers:p)
I'll trade cat 5hit for rats any day.

Glue traps, nailed down. And lids on your feed storage bins, I use 31 gallon galvanized steel cans Igot for $20 at the local feed store....and American made to boot!

Caught a rat the size of a Guinea Pig this morning, cracked his skull with a piece of firewood and feed him to the chickens!

Look like its going to be like winning the lottery...

My son is getting his first hunting license in February. Ive been looking for something that we can get out and do immediately since there wont be any big game until the fall.

Yotes seemed like a safe bet.

My inlaws have property up on the Cowlitz just west of Packwood and we can hear them out there at night. Never hunted the damn things... but now seems like a good time to start. I suppose we will just have to get out and spend a lot of time in the woods;)... see what we see.
Get yourself a good electronic or mouth call and some camo, including a face mask. If you hear them at night then you can call them in around daybreak or dusk. I used to raise sheep in Damascus and the yotes were always around, in my driveway, in my pastures, in the steam beds, etc.

I hunt them over east around Maupin where the family has wheat fields and cattle ranches. I generally see more yotes than deer when deer hunting. I have called them by mouth over there and had some success. The relatives like to see me show up. They hate losing calves to yotes.

I've never shot one but don't have anything agin it. Yotes in Quartzsite AZ come right up to the trailer and steal dogs. My dog jumped out the door one afternoon and took off down the road... I barely was able to get her stopped before she got within 50yds of a yote. Mini-poodle is no match but she thinks she's Sheena or somethin. :rolleyes:

Articles on calling way back when suggested an electronic call, well hidden, and set well away from you to avoid their sharp eyes. Also, a bit of white cloth fluttering there just off the ground as a lure and to take their attention away from you.

While Ive never seen my Fox Terrier go up against a Coyote I don't think the outcome would be very favorable for the 'yote unless they packed up on him.

Not to forget to mention the lovely people who abandon their cat when they move ...:mad:
Andy

We have two of those that I know of. And one that keeps coming back to the old home no matter what, they just can't keep him from leaving the new place. My brother has had a few of these abandoned ones too.

jJS
Often a female coyote in heat will lure dogs to their doom.
Kinda like those 80's slasher flicks where sex equals death. :eek:
Andy

Seen that on the desert too. I've tried to warn people with big dogs, only to have them tell me their dog can take care of itself against any coyote. Guy was playing ball in the dark with a beautiful German Wirehair... two days later there was a "Lost dog" sign at the BLM check-in. Yeah, not lost, but lost for good. :(

My folks lived in Phelan CA and a female would come up to the fence for their Golden. They would shine a flashlight farther out and see a gang of reflected eyes. ZOOmbies, maybe?

Last Edited:
They crap in the planters, then the dog eats some or rolls in it and smears it down the side of it's ear/face/shoulder. Nothing smells worse that cat sh*t. Well maybe pig sh*it but I don't want those wandering around either.

We have a neighbor that takes care of these ferals. Has a cat door for them. 8 bowls of food and water. If he wouldn't feed them, we'd have less problems to deal with. But he has a soft heart. I used to trap them but the shelter won't take them anymore. So either I'm screwed or the ferals are. Not going to put up with cat sh*t coming into the house.

I have a VERY soft heart with anything animal BUT, feeding Ferrell cats is not helping anyone. They breed like crazy and cause all kinds of problems. We ended up with a couple of them here years ago from some A$$hole who must have abandoned them. Bought a trap and took them to the pound who kills them. They tried to talk us out of it as they kill Ferrell. I told them they could do it or I would as I was not going to turn them loose at my house again. If someone lived far enough out that the animals were not bothering anyone else, great. Feeding them then having them make a mess for the neighbors is not helping anyone.

jJS

Seen that on the desert too. I've tried to warn people with big dogs, only to have them tell me their dog can take care of itself against any coyote. Guy was playing ball in the dark with a beautiful German Wirehair... two days later there was a "Lost dog" sign at the BLM check-in. Yeah, not lost, but lost for good. :(

My folks lived in Phelan CA and a female would come up to the fence for their Golden. They would shine a flashlight farther out and see a gang of reflected eyes. ZOOmbies, maybe?

Sadly many dog owners do not understand the difference between wild dogs and their pet. A pack of these things that is hungry will take down a larger dog to eat. They are opportunity hunters and very keen.

We have two of those that I know of. And one that keeps coming back to the old home no matter what, they just can't keep him from leaving the new place. My brother has had a few of these abandoned ones too.
In-law's had this happen with a cat of theirs. They had this cat that got in more trouble. We took to calling it the 6 million dollar cat as it had racked up an impressive collection of Vet bills. They sold the place and move many miles away. Damn cat would vanish and in a day the old neighbors would call that it was back at the old house. They kept going and getting it only to have the same thing happen. They finally just asked one of the neighbors if they would take it which they did. It seemed happy to move over one house. Ungrateful damn feline. :cool:

While Ive never seen my Fox Terrier go up against a Coyote I don't think the outcome would be very favorable for the 'yote unless they packed up on him.
That's the problem they will. To the Coyotes he is just a source of food. While one may take flight if the dog fights several will make a meal out of him given a chance. All depends a lot on the food available of course too. If there is an easier source they will of course go for the easy. Let them get hungry and they will go after larger stuff as a pack.

Long rambling post here (Im just about to head out to work and trying to put it off)

I see coyotes in town about once a week..saw one yesterday on the trail behind my house!
Saw one running right down the middle of Stark St. near 92nd in Portland..
There is a pack that howls like crazy every night in the lot next to my work in Delta Park..

We used to go to an abandoned city owned 10 acre parcel on the Clackamas,right behind the Oregon City shopping center to walk the dogs-There were coyotes there EVERY time we went,in broad daylight..One had become so brazen that when my dog chased him into the blackberry bushes,he came right back and chased my dog!
I swear they were playing.

I stopped going there after a scary experience-it was at dusk last summer;something just came over me,a feeling of dread is all I can describe it as..well,the dogs felt it too,got REALLY nervous all of a sudden,and alerted like I have never seen them do before or since..I stopped in my tracks,took a look around,and through the blackberries I see a large tan flash doing double time..too big and wrong color for a coyote,too short and lithe for a deer.
Cougar!

Another time on HWY 97 between Goldendale and Toppenish I rounded a corner and saw a HUGE pile of watermelons in a turnoff..obviously they were bad and were dumped there,but even more surprising was the pack of coyotes crawling all ove the pile!
There was one at the top,and he just looked at me.

I have a friend who is into the Native American thing,and she swears the coyote is my spirit animal.
I would never hurt one,unless it was attacking me.But people are free to do what they want!

And finally,I'm trying to find some feral cats to come control the rats that are living off of our chicken feed..Told my wife the best thing to do would be to get rid of the chickens,but that's not an option apparently.
I do have fun shooting the rats,but can only do it Saturday when she is at work (Damn animal lovers:p)
I'll trade cat 5hit for rats any day.

If you want some "barn cats" just get some that are fixed. They will still control the rats and not start making all kinds of copies to roam the place.

jJS

e16b54a6e5a4dc09bee9f9244f2b5d2d.jpg

I have a VERY soft heart with anything animal BUT, feeding Ferrell cats is not helping anyone. They breed like crazy and cause all kinds of problems. We ended up with a couple of them here years ago from some A$$hole who must have abandoned them. Bought a trap and took them to the pound who kills them. They tried to talk us out of it as they kill Ferrell. I told them they could do it or I would as I was not going to turn them loose at my house again. If someone lived far enough out that the animals were not bothering anyone else, great. Feeding them then having them make a mess for the neighbors is not helping anyone.

We thin them out every few years. But then I start hearing cat moans in the night and pretty soon we got a new menagerie feeding at the neighbors house. Many of them sleep at the junkpile in a different neighbors backyard. I see them walk to their meals. The shelter won't pay to have them spayed but will do it if you catch em. County Animal Control won't catch em. It's not only illegal but not humanitarian to turn them loose out in the wild, so I got all my neighbors to put collars on their cats so I can tell the difference if I catch them.:(

It's bad enough that pet cats run around too. I don't let my canine poop in their yard so WTF?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top