JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the military will be just as strong due to the fact the Gov. will have control of the food supply and reserves. What better way to keep the military in line but to control their food supply and their families. I do not believe that all the Germans or Japanese in WW2 were as fanatical as the leaders they just wanted to survive. How many military men and women have somewhere to store supplies for a SHTF of any kind,very few.

You might be right, so much will depend upon the nature of the SHTF event. If it is something major like an astroid strike the roads will be toast, the arifields non functional, and any means of keeping supply lines open to any expeditionary forces are going to be very low. If it is something like wall street finishing the job it tried to do a few years ago, well then that will be a different matter.

Actually, you might want to clue yourself in. Most of the world including the military use HAM radio. ECM is mainly for missile and target countermeasures. According to the Electronic WARFARE and Radar Engineering Systems Handbook issued by the Navy Warefare Dept. HAM radio will not be effected when ECM is deployed. Read the manual:

2578925 Electronic WARFARE and Radar Engineering Systems Handbook

Well obviously none of you have a clue about the ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) capabilities of the military. If they want to shut down the airwaves they can. Any type of set the civilian world might have is no match for the electronic systems at hand to the military.

If you think that the military will have mass desertions and wont comply with orders to disarm and or confiscate food stores you may be in for a rude awakening. Since it has already happened, during Katrina the police and military were given orders to seize firearms and had no hesitation with following an order that clearly violates the second amendment. Guns were confiscated, and have yet to be returned, by the vary people who took an oath to defend the constitution. They did not just have a right to refuse that order they had an obligation to refuse, but did not.

I'd like to think fellow soliders would side with citizens, but like any dictatorship the soliders have no choice and if they want to be paid, fed and sheltered they will do what their told. Brainwashing is a powerful tool and the gubbermint/miltary has perfected it. You can be assured our miltary isnt allowed an objective perspective in what is going on in the world. Every thing their told is to benefit the mission in progress. I'm glad I got out of the Army before the dictatorial structure made me into a lifer. ;)

Well obviously none of you have a clue about the ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) capabilities of the military.

I plan for probable events rather than improbable ones. Difference of opinion I guess. For me, the whole theory that a SHTF event will cause authorities to shut down all communications, require the entire US population to stay/go where they tell them (for how long? months? years?), dictate the population's every action, and then bring in foreign troops to control them, is pretty silly (putting it politely). I know it is a popular theme in American survivalist literature, but it just isn't rational.

Well obviously none of you have a clue about the ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) capabilities of the military. If they want to shut down the airwaves they can. Any type of set the civilian world might have is no match for the electronic systems at hand to the military.

I think perhaps you should read about EMP capability and how radio works. :)

Faraday cages are your friend against EMP events and other less serious stuff like radio frequency interference:
a video: YouTube - Bulid a Faraday Cage - EMP electromagnetic pulse
... and a text page: EMP & Building a Faraday Cage, Myths & Realities

Pretty easy to build cage boxes or rooms even. When I ran a recording studio in Seattle through the 90's, we built some screen-caging behind the walls of the iso booths to shield amps & poorly grounded guitars from all the RFI hash that'd get into the system... single-coil pickups make guitars into awesome antennas, and some clients HATED the lack of noise (I did mention this was Seattle through the 90's! :s0114: ), so we'd just leave the iso booth doors open. AH, sorry back on topic!

Faraday cages = easy & good. IMO brass or copper screening is better than aluminum, but I can't prove it :s0155:

Yes, fine copper mesh is the best... We did it for a lab once... kept all of their sensitive wireless test equipment safe... no to get back on topic. I can prepare for a natural disaster, or looters, I am not sure what my plan is in a state of martial law. I guess get the **** out of dodge!

Faraday cages are your friend against EMP events and other less serious stuff like radio frequency interference:
a video: YouTube - Bulid a Faraday Cage - EMP electromagnetic pulse
... and a text page: EMP & Building a Faraday Cage, Myths & Realities

Pretty easy to build cage boxes or rooms even. When I ran a recording studio in Seattle through the 90's, we built some screen-caging behind the walls of the iso booths to shield amps & poorly grounded guitars from all the RFI hash that'd get into the system... single-coil pickups make guitars into awesome antennas, and some clients HATED the lack of noise (I did mention this was Seattle through the 90's! :s0114: ), so we'd just leave the iso booth doors open. AH, sorry back on topic!

Faraday cages = easy & good. IMO brass or copper screening is better than aluminum, but I can't prove it :s0155:

I think perhaps you should read about EMP capability and how radio works. :)

I understand exactly how radio works. And I wasn't talking about EMP which is a transitory effect from a nuclear detonation; I was talking about the ability our military has to jam radio traffic at will. Any person sitting at home with civilian equipment who thinks they can take on a modern SIGINT Team is clueless.

I plan for probable events rather than improbable ones. Difference of opinion I guess. For me, the whole theory that a SHTF event will cause authorities to shut down all communications, require the entire US population to stay/go where they tell them (for how long? months? years?), dictate the population's every action, and then bring in foreign troops to control them, is pretty silly (putting it politely). I know it is a popular theme in American survivalist literature, but it just isn't rational.

I couldn't agree more. :s0155:

Actually, you might want to clue yourself in. Most of the world including the military use HAM radio. ECM is mainly for missile and target countermeasures. According to the Electronic WARFARE and Radar Engineering Systems Handbook issued by the Navy Warefare Dept. HAM radio will not be effected when ECM is deployed. Read the manual:

2578925 Electronic WARFARE and Radar Engineering Systems Handbook

Any radio frequency can be jammed. Period. ECM can be defined many ways, and SIGINT is a portion of the countermeasures field. I am a graduate of the Fleet Anti-air Warfare Center and operated radar gunfire control systems along with equipment designed to track and counter Soviet anti-ship missiles and their ECM packages. I have detailed knowledge of past and current military electronic systems. Perhaps you could detail your training and expertise and tell me in PM where and how you developed your theory. HAM is a term used to refer to amateur radio operators, and military radios are not operated by amateurs.

Any radio frequency can be jammed. Period. ECM can be defined many ways, and SIGINT is a portion of the countermeasures field. I am a graduate of the Fleet Anti-air Warfare Center and operated radar gunfire control systems along with equipment designed to track and counter Soviet anti-ship missiles and their ECM packages. I have detailed knowledge of past and current military electronic systems. Perhaps you could detail your training and expertise and tell me in PM where and how you developed your theory. HAM is a term used to refer to amateur radio operators, and military radios are not operated by amateurs.

Concur. If it can be broadcast - it can be jammed. Ever look at a Spectrum Analyzer while someone broadcast? All it takes is an equally powerful broadcast on the same frequency to counter it with noise, etc. The military tools for scanning and jamming would render HAM's useless and non-functioning if they really wanted to.

Concur. If it can be broadcast - it can be jammed. Ever look at a Spectrum Analyzer while someone broadcast? All it takes is an equally powerful broadcast on the same frequency to counter it with noise, etc. The military tools for scanning and jamming would render HAM's useless and non-functioning if they really wanted to.

Exactly..and add overlying jamming on harmonic frequencies and adjacent bands and nothing goes out. Ask the Iraqis. :D

It's been documented and pretty well proven that the people most likely to survive through disaster events of various kinds, natural and political, are in groups who know each other prior to the crisis.

Like a few other folks have already mentioned, as much as rugged individualism has been romanticized in our society, neighbors who are on friendly terms are just statistically more likely to survive almost any type of SHTF scenario.

In light of this, even just throwing block parties and hosting bbq's can be considered survivalist practices!
Get into gardening (permaculture is worth looking into) and if you have the resources to do so, start teaching local city kids how to fish, shoot, hunt, tan hides, and on in that vein. Learn where your water supply comes from, and learn how to protect it from pollution and other harm. Take facilitator training classes and learn about how to conduct consensus meetings so that you can help carry on democracy at the local level, even if there isn't any to be found in Washington DC.
Doing that kind of stuff will help the most in the long term: caches of MREs will only last so long.

True. My MOS in the Marine Corps is 6484: ECM Technician. If it's not wired, it can be jammed.

As far as the military being brainwashed into forcing people to give up their weapons, I know of at least one that has no problem to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top