JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would need a brand name. But my guess is that a small reverse osmosis filter of the size that could be attached to a faucet wouldn't do much to remove microstatins.
That was my guess as well, but I believe it's more about lack of high pressure for a higher efficiency and larger surface area membranes. Without high pressure, the membrane is limited to trapping rather large molecules. With the large RO units, you're starting with relatively clean water. Some even have the capability of separating the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. Low pressure household units are nowhere near that capability.

I looked at the website for the black filters. Bottom line is they have not tested them on microstatins. They have a page offering the opinion that their black filters should work on microstatins given the list of other stuff they work on, and I tend to agree. They also base their opinion on the fact that various studies show that activated charcoal can be effective in removing microstatins. However, in surfing the internet on that issue, apparently the exact type and form of actvated charcoal matters. In addition, I saw one report that microstatin-lr, one of the major forms, isn't removed well by activated charcoal. Not sure I believe the report without the underlying data, though.

Here's my opinion. I would not assume that Black Berkley filters remove microstatins until someone tests it. However, if I had to bet, my bet would be that they do. Would I bet my liver on that opinion unnecessarily? No. If I had this filter, and my tap water was affected, I would use stockpiled water or bottled water until the problem blew over. However, if there was some long-term situation in which I had access only to microstatin-contaminated water, I would filter it using the Black Berley filters and drink it and lose no sleep over it.

I read the same thing on their website, just thought I'd post the link to that article if anyone else is interested. Here is their statement at the end of the article:

Based upon the above Internet research, Black Berkey element microbe and organic chemical removal test data and the information provided by the EPA in their reference material cited above; these all suggest that Berkey water purification systems should be extremely effective at removing and reducing contaminates resulting from the current algae bloom. NMCL also highly recommends that whenever possible, the cleanest source water available should always be utilized.

And the link to the article: <broken link removed>

By the way, I came across another article suggesting that the ZeroWater filter can also remove microcystin toxins as well: Sandusky Register

Zero Water has a nice table of everything their filters will remove - but note, microcystin toxins are not listed in that table: ZERO WATER Drinking Water Filters Home Purification Filtration Water Filter

I also learned, with a little online research, that NSF (who develops standards worldwide for things such as water filtration/purification) has a standard known as NSF Protocol P477: Drinking Water Treatment Units Microcystin. This standard can be used to certify a manufacturer's product will remove microcystin toxins to below the EPA health advisory limits for infants and young children - which is under .3 ppb. To get this certification, manufacturers have to have their product thoroughly tested by NSF and re-tested/re-certified every year. Here is a link to the standard: NSF International Certifies First Water Filters That Reduce Microcystin in Drinking Water -

They have a list on their site of manufacturers that meet this standard. Right now, I only see one listed - eSpring - and that's only made and sold through....Amway :(

So, I guess if you're wanting a product that's actually certified to remove the microcystin toxins, there is one available on the market. But after having dealt with Amway dealers in the past, I'm going to have to pass. No offense to anyone here that may deal with Amway, but let me say again, I'm not interested.

Just out of curiosity, is this kind of problem something that can be handled with a filter such as a Lifestraw or Sawyer filter? How about your average Brita? How about water purification tablets? Bleach? We keep several Lifestraws as well as several Lifestraw Family Size Gravity-Fed Filters on hand for various emergencies. I know they filter a lot of stuff, but not sure on this one - no one seems to be addressing that question, at least that I can find. And knowing that boiling isn't an option really limits things.
Lifestraw and Sawyer filters work by having a bunch of tiny tubes that don't let anything pass that is larger than the diameter of the tubes. So they can remove bacteria, but not chemicals dissolved in water. They won't work at all on microstatins.

I looked at the Brita website. Some versions include activated charcoal. But based upon their list of what it does and doesn't remove, I doubt if it is likely to be very effective in removing microcystins.

I wouldn't expect iodine-based water purification pills to work, since their job is to kill bacteria, not to remove harmful molecules.

There are various kinds of bleaches. I found no data on it, but my guess is some might break down microstatins, but that might not help because the breakdown products might still be toxic.

Last Edited:
So they told us the water is unsafe..... does anyone expect they will tell us ever again that the water is safe? This opens up a whole new opportunity to impose restrictions and taxes!!! WooHoo... never let a good crisis go to waste! Right? We never have drank water out of the tap here. We were on artisian well water in Bend... but here we are.... biding time... Guess I'll make a run up to a friend's in Bend. I agree with the member who said... "this IS the wake up call."

Yes all of the shelf's are bare in the stores around me.
Does anyone know if its traveling through the Santiam?? I traced the positive outbreak areas and it looks like its by the Santiam.
Was wondering about this as there is a tribute near me that feeds directly off the santiam river :(
Linn county i believe is served by a man made canal that goes to South Fork Santiam River and comes from Green Peter/Foster Lake areas; at least from what I could find out about Albany's water source. Its possible for algae blooms to happen in these two areas, but so far it has not happened.

So they told us the water is unsafe..... does anyone expect they will tell us ever again that the water is safe? This opens up a whole new opportunity to impose restrictions and taxes!!! WooHoo... never let a good crisis go to waste! Right? We never have drank water out of the tap here. We were on artisian well water in Bend... but here we are.... biding time... Guess I'll make a run up to a friend's in Bend. I agree with the member who said... "this IS the wake up call."
Up here in Washington by my neck of the woods our local Lake and had a blue algae bloom last year. The County Health Department said that no one should drink the water, bathe, swim, cook, water your lawn or let your animals swim or drinking it.

It's pretty serious when they said do not eat the fish either. That lasted all of last year and upon making the annual fishing opener I was greeted with yet another sign saying the algae bloom still existed....

Fast forward to last week, a friend mentioned that the County Health Department announced that there were no restrictions on said Lake. Who do we believe?:rolleyes:
I believe I will not listen to them and continue to fish other Lakes out of the area.:cool:

20180427_140454_001.jpg

ummm i got an alert on my phone and it said "EMERGENCY ALERT Salem, OR: Prepare for action"

and nothing else

literally about 10 sec later i had my plates on and my ar10, ar15 and a couple hand guns, about 5000 rounds of ammo and the kids loaded in the truck...

i then got about 40 text messages from my group of friends who i talk preparedness with and we thought our plan was about to be put into action. also, my cousin in burns called and asked if hed be seeing us soon because of this...i told him to stand by

then came the rest of the alert.

"dont drink the water"

LOL

luckily Keizers water isnt affected so im good here anyway
I'm impressed.
While I have been focusing on loadout w/ BO camp gear, it would take me >20 minutes to arm up. Need to add that to my practice.

There always seems to be questions about whether or not it is legal to collect rainwater. I contacted the state for guidance. The short answer is YES, with some caveats. See below for their response...…

"It is legal to collect and use rainwater without a surface water right IF it is collected from an artificial impervious surface (like a parking lot or building roof). You can read more about the uses that are exempt from a water right in our Water Rights in Oregon publication located at: http://www.oregon.gov/owrd/PUBS/docs/aquabookdec2013publication2016revised.pdf"
When I lived in Portland, I was offered a 10,000 gallon cistern. Looked into putting it on our yard for collecting rainwater for irrigation of the crops that we grew. Portland has an ordinance prohibiting collection of Rainwater. I don't know if you can do it now, that data was from 2010.

When I lived in Portland, I was offered a 10,000 gallon cistern. Looked into putting it on our yard for collecting rainwater for irrigation of the crops that we grew. Portland has an ordinance prohibiting collection of Rainwater. I don't know if you can do it now, that data was from 2010.

Here's what I always wonder when I hear about rainwater collection being illegal - especially if you are using something like an underground cistern - how would they know? Unless someone knew you were doing it and reported you - I am betting even Portland isn't sending around water collection police to make sure you don't have a covert rain barrel somewhere.

Here's what I always wonder when I hear about rainwater collection being illegal - especially if you are using something like an underground cistern - how would they know? Unless someone knew you were doing it and reported you - I am betting even Portland isn't sending around water collection police to make sure you don't have a covert rain barrel somewhere.

Never underestimate the ability of your neighbor(s) to turn into a rat, suddenly and without warning or reason......

Anyone think it might be political. Remember, they want to drain the lake for 2 years for a fish project. Hum. Heh, the only way to clean out the lake is drain it.

So, I just heard as of last night the restriction is back on again?? We're going to a couple of events down there this weekend, so I guess we'll make sure we have our own drinking water on hand.

On another note, when this all started, I emailed LifeStraw about the ability to filter these toxins. I finally got a response last night. Here it is:

Apologies for the late reply to this email and thanks for reaching out!

Green/Blue algea creats microcystins, a kind of cyanotoxin produced by cyanobacteria. This can be in water as an intracellular toxin (inside the cell) and extracellular (excreted out of cell and dissolved into the environment).

>95% of cyanotoxins in water are intracellular toxins (meaning the toxins are inside the cells) and the remainder are extracellular (excreted outside the cell). The LifeStraw Family hollow fiber membrane purifier can remove intercellular toxins by removing the algae from the water. All LifeStraw products contain a hollow fiber membrane filter.

The carbon filters in some of the LifeStraw products with 2-stage filtration can absorb/reduce 80-85% of the remaining excreted extracellular toxins. The following LifeStraw products contain carbon filters in addition to the hollow fiber membrane filters:
The LifeStraw Family will provide a high level of protection but the broadest range of protection are the individual products with the microbiological filter and the carbon filter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Alison

So I guess it's good to know, in an emergency, LifeStraws (the 2-stage models), can give you relatively safe drinking water, even with the toxins present.

On another note, when this all started, I emailed LifeStraw about the ability to filter these toxins. I finally got a response last night. Here it is:

Apologies for the late reply to this email and thanks for reaching out!

Green/Blue algea creats microcystins, a kind of cyanotoxin produced by cyanobacteria. This can be in water as an intracellular toxin (inside the cell) and extracellular (excreted out of cell and dissolved into the environment).

>95% of cyanotoxins in water are intracellular toxins (meaning the toxins are inside the cells) and the remainder are extracellular (excreted outside the cell). The LifeStraw Family hollow fiber membrane purifier can remove intercellular toxins by removing the algae from the water. All LifeStraw products contain a hollow fiber membrane filter.

The carbon filters in some of the LifeStraw products with 2-stage filtration can absorb/reduce 80-85% of the remaining excreted extracellular toxins. The following LifeStraw products contain carbon filters in addition to the hollow fiber membrane filters:
The LifeStraw Family will provide a high level of protection but the broadest range of protection are the individual products with the microbiological filter and the carbon filter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Alison

So I guess it's good to know, in an emergency, LifeStraws (the 2-stage models), can give you relatively safe drinking water, even with the toxins present.

So long as the toxins contained within the organism, yes. Boil the water or otherwise anything that releases it and no. Like you say it's still better than drinking it straight if you need to.

Thanks for relaying the info!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top