JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Made The Drudge Report

456469b0916847c6a7e863b2b8bbc129.jpg

Cryptic emergency alert panics city's residents...

Cryptic emergency alert panics Oregon city's residents

It's kind of a good thing, we got a sort of "Test Run" for some thing minor, rather then a big fricking hit, so, while it' a major inconvenience now, it' a pretty food wake up for the real deal!
I think the message was a big fun at mistake, never ever send a warning message to the sheeple like they did, especially with out supporting follow up on the specific proble., second, don't send a message that starts out with the word EMERGENCY, as every thing else that follows will be hyper acted on, and folks could get killed! What they should have done is sent out a Caution message, sort of like the amber alerts, so folks have a little time to match their breath and await further instructions!
Me, I would have been like v0lcome13sn0w and gone on high alert looking for threats!

Yeah those cubes would be ideal but they cost a crap load. I bet Filling them would cost a lot though ;/ and finding an area big enough in my situation would be really hard.

Ours are free. Single use and discarded from work, so pretty unusual re-purpose. Just throwing out one idea is all.

Water is pretty inexpensive, considering the average US daily water use. Haven't done the numbers, but likely a few dollars to fill 200gal. Storage space is more the problem, but workable.

Neighbors at our new place have a few of those huge plastic water cubes in the metal cages in there back yards. Haven't had an opportunity to chat them up too much yet, but suffice it to say that simply having them puts them well into the more preparedness minded folk in our book.

So when we received the call to action, or whatever it was called, I went online to the City of Salem's website....which was crashed. How will I know if the zombies are coming??? We were filling water jugs for our friends from our well water last night. It did help the sales pitch to the wife for the food shelf I've been filling this year though.

Things government needs to think about...bandwidth in emergencies.

Got mine in tigard by work...

Damm I was going to sell for 25 a case I better up that!!!
LOL View attachment 464479

As an FYI..
We have a Herd of pets ....
My Gal spent all her life in the animal field . From animal cop ,cruelty investigator to medical .

No one has talked about their pets here.

The pet warning does have us worried with a few of the Herd with different stages of renal failure.

So the picture reflects the refill from rotation of stock and is being used for the pets. And Yes they are ALL SPOILED.

A pic of one of the senior cats weekly treatments.

LOL. 20180530_141607_1527715001513.jpg FB_IMG_1527728339241.jpg

No need to panic. If the toxin is so insoluble that it won't wash out with normal use, then there is little chance of any residuals contaminating liquids at levels high enough to be harmful in the future. Just my unscientific opinion.
Your "unscientific opinion" works just fine. The toxins are 7-amino-acid ring-shaped molecules that are highly water-soluble. They can bind to things. But so can lots of things. Based upon their chemical structure, I would expect to be able to remove the toxins easily with just soap and water.

Bottom line is if you have a good filter, you can use whatever water is available.
I disagree. Microstatins, the relevant class of toxins, are not easy to remove. In my internet search for advice given to people in other areas affected, no public health agency says just filter the water. So far, none of the info I see from specific filter companies is very reasuring. More in other entries in this thread.

Some of the info I am finding is in internet bits in a book on potential chemical warefare agents, by the way.

Last Edited:
I disagree. Microstatins, the relevant class of toxins, are not easy to remove. In my internet search for advice given to people in other areas affected, no public health agency says just filter the water. So far, none of the info I see from specific filter companies is very reasuring. More in other entries in this thread.

Some of the info I am finding is in internet bits in a book on potential chemical warefare agents, by the way.
Disagree on RO wasting water or the fact that I just said filter it in the quoted post?

If you go back to my other posts I added a link twice to show what type of filter I was referring to, and they are not just some kind of sediment filter.

Look back a few posts where I posted the link to the Berkey filters and the specs for such. You can buy them on amazon and other places as well.

<broken link removed>
I looked at the website for the black filters. Bottom line is they have not tested them on microstatins. They have a page offering the opinion that their black filters should work on microstatins given the list of other stuff they work on, and I tend to agree. They also base their opinion on the fact that various studies show that activated charcoal can be effective in removing microstatins. However, in surfing the internet on that issue, apparently the exact type and form of actvated charcoal matters. In addition, I saw one report that microstatin-lr, one of the major forms, isn't removed well by activated charcoal. Not sure I believe the report without the underlying data, though.

Here's my opinion. I would not assume that Black Berkley filters remove microstatins until someone tests it. However, if I had to bet, my bet would be that they do. Would I bet my liver on that opinion unnecessarily? No. If I had this filter, and my tap water was affected, I would use stockpiled water or bottled water until the problem blew over. However, if there was some long-term situation in which I had access only to microstatin-contaminated water, I would filter it using the Black Berley filters and drink it and lose no sleep over it.

There always seems to be questions about whether or not it is legal to collect rainwater. I contacted the state for guidance. The short answer is YES, with some caveats. See below for their response...…

"It is legal to collect and use rainwater without a surface water right IF it is collected from an artificial impervious surface (like a parking lot or building roof). You can read more about the uses that are exempt from a water right in our Water Rights in Oregon publication located at: http://www.oregon.gov/owrd/PUBS/docs/aquabookdec2013publication2016revised.pdf"

What about a reverse osmosis filter?

I ask cuz my parents have one connected to the tap - they are in vancouver though so no danger, mostly curious and there seems to be people on here that know a lot more about it then me.
I would need a brand name. But my guess is that a small reverse osmosis filter of the size that could be attached to a faucet wouldn't do much to remove microstatins.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top