JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What about a reverse osmosis filter?

I ask cuz my parents have one connected to the tap - they are in vancouver though so no danger, mostly curious and there seems to be people on here that know a lot more about it then me.

They way the put out the emergency warnings about this was not properly done at all.

When i first got the message there was no info on what the hell was going on. I believe it said prepare for action.
Prepair for action against what or whom?

I have never heard of that being broadcasted. So everything here went into lock down mode until further information could be gathered.

We Tuned into the tv for more warnings and it was broadcasted so fast i couldn't hear it and then it went into Spanish broadcasting and close captioned the previous message but the close captions on the tv flew by to fast to really get an understanding.

So I got into the car and went and got gas first(can always drive for water or to differentiate areas if you still have gas). Then went to the groccier store for bottled water. All along the way there were more and more cars headed that way. I got in just ahead of most people and grabbed some water. While putting some into the cart the isles started getting fuller and fuller. Soon there was a panic mentality that had started and people started pushing each other and yelling at one another it was bad.

I can only imagine if this was more of a outbreak or a lawless situation people would have been attacking one another.

Big wake up call for me.

I did have some water on hand so it would t have been and major disaster but needed to get a few more jugs. I had always wanted to store water and have a nice kit setup but just did not have funds or space.
Well I will be finding some funds/space for water now so there would be no need to go out in a mob situation again in the future.

Will simply adding whisky help? (oh please, please, please let it be so)
Alas, no. Alcohol can help kill bacteria. But the toxins are released by dead or dying cells. It's a chemical or mix of chemicals, not living bacteria that harm you by infecting you.

I did have some water on hand so it would t have been and major disaster but needed to get a few more jugs. I had always wanted to store water and have a nice kit setup but just did not have funds or space.
Well I will be finding some funds/space for water now so there would be no need to go out in a mob situation again in the future.
Plastic jugs and bottled water are spendy, take up a lot of space, and the plastic deteriorates and falls apart after a few years. I prefer to buy food grade 5-gallon buckets with lids and fill them myself. And replace the water every year or so so it doesnt get too plastic flavored. The best deal on these is from Uline.com. Call 888 295 5510 and order or ask for a catalog. The right buckets are item S-7914. Lids are item S-9948. Buy 10 and get the bucket opening tool free. Order before 6 pm and you have them the next day.

Last Edited:
Wilco sells food grade 35 gallon and larger barrels for cheap (including a spickot so stack them on a couple cinder blocks).

Someday I'd like one of the 250 gal containers that are reiniforced with the metal cage in my basement

So, did I read right? They said toxin levels were highest in testing conducted on the 23rd. Why did they just get around to warning people last night?

Two words:
Big
Berkey

Look at the design and you can build your own for cheap. Lots of vids on youtube about this.
You can buy aftermarket Berkey filters on ebay. All you need after that is two five gallon buckets and whatever fancy spigot you want to put on the bottom one.
I have a Big Berkey and it's great. You can just dump puddle or pond water in it and it will come out clean and pure. If you don't want to spend the money on the Berkey, then go the way of the buckets and ebay filters. It'll do.

Two words:
Big
Berkey

Look at the design and you can build your own for cheap. Lots of vids on youtube about this.

I have a Big Berkey and it's great. You can just dump puddle or pond water in it and it will come out clean and pure.

^. The Big Berkey is our primary water filtration system, though we have smaller units too. We're very happy with that system.

Beyond that, I'm sure the problem in Salem will be addressed with the speed and competence that we've come to expect from said area. :s0141:

What about a reverse osmosis filter?

I ask cuz my parents have one connected to the tap - they are in vancouver though so no danger, mostly curious and there seems to be people on here that know a lot more about it then me.
I'm curios about that myself. As others have mentioned, we're talking about multiple pathogens and some that are created as the algae dies off. Wonder what size molecules we're talking about with household RO units.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top