JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I called Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor in Delta Park prior to this debacle and asked if I, a WA resident, could buy a Ruger 10/22 there after 7/1/2019, nope. They also will not ship it to a WA FFL.

This whole thing smells like restraint of trade in lawful products.

I called Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor in Delta Park prior to this debacle and asked if I, a WA resident, could buy a Ruger 10/22 there after 7/1/2019, nope. They also will not ship it to a WA FFL.

This whole thing smells like restraint of trade in lawful products.
What a bunch of BS!

Thanks to Trump's 2016 election and consequent USSupreme Court appointments we stand a good chance at getting the 2A reinforced in the next year. If the New York case pending at the USSC comes out favorable for us then it will impact the pending 1639 litigation in a good way.

These down stream effects are all part of the p!an...deter and dissuade.

Never should have on the ballot...a just judge even said so, but nope...here we are...:(...its a disgrace.

Unless we're all just being paranoid...:rolleyes:

Boss

I was just talking to a guy that just put $50 down/layaway on an AR in Portland and he is a WA resident my neighbor so I do believe him , he asked the FFL about this new law and was told the he can not ship a handgun to a WA FFL any more for purchase as of this new law But he can still sale rifles all the same to WA residents same form as any other rife sold and same background check as any other rifle just as it was before or after
WA 1639, so I really don't understand the deal with buying a long gun in Oregon while this FFL is a small private FFL in Oregon he either does not understand 1639 or the bigger company's in Oregon just do not want or will not deal with 1639 and Washington residents , seems to be much confusion on 1639

Well, I hope the big organizations are stockpiling a pile of cash for a whole lot more local TV, radio, and internet ads for the next go-round in a few months.

Boss

These down stream effects are all part of the p!an...deter and dissuade.

Never should have on the ballot...a just judge even said so, but nope...here we are...:(...its a disgrace.

Unless we're all just being paranoid...:rolleyes:

Boss
Yep and the plan is working. I know several gun owners as well as myself who will not be buying anything that requires permanent HIPPA waivers and or annual back ground checks. The 2nd is definitely feeling infringed and impaired here in Washington to me

^^Yep.

Forcing law-abiding citizens to forfeit one or more rights to exercise another is heinous.

Unless the big organizations bring their A-game to the PNW NOW, it ain't looking good.

Boss

I have a class next week, MAG-80 with Ayoob that he only teaches every few years; got paid today and wanted to pick up a Glock 19X as a spare in case my main gun, with over 10k rds through it now, has any failures. I called in to the store (in Clark County) and asked how long it was taking them to turn around local background checks. They say "4 to 5 days on average."

I get in to the store and I am ready to buy the gun, but now they say it is always 10 business days / 2 calendar weeks. There is no way I can buy this handgun anywhere in time to make use of it, so, no sale. Stupid tricks to get people into the store aside, I can only imagine how the FFLs are feeling, with their ability to sell being strangled by the state bureaucracy and legislature.

It still puzzles me how the NFA industry exists, with wait times on track to shoot past one year now. Perhaps this is the sort of experience we can look forward to with regular handgun and rifle purchases when unfriendly law enforcement agencies realize they can use their position to bureaucratically strangle those as well. I bought my share of tax stamped items, but it is not an experience I want to come back for more of.

We ostensibly have the same "right" to own NFA items under the 2nd amendment, but the ability to take possession of them has been severely strangled due to bureaucratic delays on background checks and the courts don't want to touch any part of it. Just something to think about as you realize mandatory transfer wait times in Washington now meet or exceed those in California.

It has affected a sale for me too ... I have a pistol listed here, buyer in Wa state wants it, I agreed to travel to Vancouver to do the transfer. BUT, with the 10 day waiting period and local LE background check required on ALL pistols... that would require TWO ROUND TRIPS @ 2 hours each.... HOWEVER, as I understand it, IF the buyer has a current Wa State CHL then the wait period and LE background check are waived, and all that is required is the Fed background check, so a 'same day' transfer would be possible. Guess it means: GET YOUR WA CHL if for no other reason, than to make buying a pistol a 'normal' process in Washington.

Do I have it right? Fellow Oregonians, I am sure our lawmakers are just drooling over this, we need to BE READY to fight this.

It has affected a sale for me too ... I have a pistol listed here, buyer in Wa state wants it, I agreed to travel to Vancouver to do the transfer. BUT, with the 10 day waiting period and local LE background check required on ALL pistols... that would require TWO ROUND TRIPS @ 2 hours each.... HOWEVER, as I understand it, IF the buyer has a current Wa State CHL then the wait period and LE background check are waived, and all that is required is the Fed background check, so a 'same day' transfer would be possible. Guess it means: GET YOUR WA CHL if for no other reason, than to make buying a pistol a 'normal' process in Washington.

Do I have it right? Fellow Oregonians, I am sure our lawmakers are just drooling over this, we need to BE READY to fight this.

You do not have it right. 1639 enacts a state background check with a waiting period of UP TO 10days on handgun transfers and sales to WA resident recipients with a concealed permit. Those without permits can expect to wait as long as a CCW takes to get, possibly up to a month. Any background check taking longer than 30d will cause the 4473 to expire and the whole process starts over again. Joseph Yeller wrote a book on this very subject. It's called Catch-22.

I was just talking to a guy that just put $50 down/layaway on an AR in Portland and he is a WA resident my neighbor so I do believe him , he asked the FFL about this new law and was told the he can not ship a handgun to a WA FFL any more for purchase as of this new law But he can still sale rifles all the same to WA residents same form as any other rife sold and same background check as any other rifle just as it was before or after
WA 1639, so I really don't understand the deal with buying a long gun in Oregon while this FFL is a small private FFL in Oregon he either does not understand 1639 or the bigger company's in Oregon just do not want or will not deal with 1639 and Washington residents , seems to be much confusion on 1639

RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.
[2015 c 1 § 6 (Initiative Measure No. 594, approved November 4, 2014); 1970 ex.s. c 74 § 1. Formerly RCW 19.70.010.]
This RCW was not changed by I1639 and seems that there is no change in buying out of state from before July 1. Chainstores and some FFL run scared and choose not to sell to a WA resident. Your neighbors FFL seems to be able to read the law.

CPL no longer waives the state background check and cant transfer before the check clears, probably about 10 days.

OK, thanks for the clarifications, glad I asked! What a mess ... just like they hoped it would be ....

Found this on the NRA-IRL website, I was always searching on I-1639, but it's a different law. Guess Washingtonians probably already new this... phooey.

House Bill 1465, sponsored by Representative Roger Goodman (D-45), will go into effect July 1st as well. It will require CPL holders to undergo a state background check on handgun purchases instead of the instant NICS check that is currently being conducted as a courtesy by the FBI. Beginning July 1st, the FBI will no longer be conducting these courtesy NICS checks for CPL holders.

Last Edited:
CPL no longer waives the state background check and cant transfer before the check clears, probably about 10 days.
Until there is another rush/ panic buy. That is the catch here. Last great panic we had the same 10 day rule. The 10 days was to give the State time to do the check. The dealer "could" let you have your gun after the 10 days if they had not heard a no. Some here (dealers) said they would. What I found with the couple dealers local I asked was no. They just did not want to take the risk and hassle. So some people were waiting 30 days or more because of the number of people buying. This was only those who did not have a WA CPL. So now everyone has to do it the same way. Next election for instance. Many gun owners have been mad that Hilary did not win and are doing all they can to make sure someone like her wins in 2020. If that happens there will be another panic round of buying. Then I fully expect the system will get bogged down again and it will be back to taking a long time for the OK to come back.

OK, thanks for the clarifications, glad I asked! What a mess ... just like they hoped it would be ....

Found this on the NRA-IRL website, I was always searching on I-1639, but it's a different law. Guess Washingtonians probably already new this... phooey.

House Bill 1465, sponsored by Representative Roger Goodman (D-45), will go into effect July 1st as well. It will require CPL holders to undergo a state background check on handgun purchases instead of the instant NICS check that is currently being conducted as a courtesy by the FBI. Beginning July 1st, the FBI will no longer be conducting these courtesy NICS checks for CPL holders.
Seems moot to me given that the FBI said they were stopping the instant check 7/1/19 anyway. This was the FBI's doing not some silly democrat legislator.

Seems moot to me given that the FBI said they were stopping the instant check 7/1/19 anyway. This was the FBI's doing not some silly democrat legislator.

Yes, this one was the State had just refused to set up the system needed. They knew it was coming but of course just did not care. Unless a lot of gun owners get mad and vote it will not change.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews