JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick question for the brothers in Washington.

Oregon resident with WA CHL. EDC (in Oregon) is a little Glock 30 with 10-round magazine. Then carry a spare "normal" G21 magazine which is a 13-round magazine. Is it legal these days to have/possess/carry said 13rd magazine?

Oregon resident with WA CHL. EDC (in Oregon) is a little Glock 30 with 10-round magazine. Then carry a spare "normal" G21 magazine which is a 13-round magazine. Is it legal these days to have/possess/carry said 13rd magazine?
If you bring one to WA "legally" no. Now if you bring one here its going to be hard for you to get in a bind. How often are you stopped and searched? If you are and are asked about the mag you would have to tell them you brought the mag to this state.

Not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Express last night…

From what I understand, if you had it prior to passage of the law it's grandfathered in, what Wa doesn't allow is future purchase of said item.

Is it legal is one question.

Is it smart is another question.

I would read the law and find out precisely what is legal. Then do what you need to do to have adequate protection for you and yours with any "risks" in mind.

Last Edited:
Says wa to out of state and back is ok in hb1240.

CD03B43B-0DF3-4B41-A132-E91503713BB1.jpeg

Last Edited:
SB5078 (circa 2022)
Thx! I was reading the hb1240 paragraph above again and it seems to say that bringing a mag from outside WA into WA is "importing". That seems to conflict with the earlier mag ban law (as I understand it anyway). Hb 1240 excludes Wa to out of state and back from "import" defintion, but not the other way around. Sure a mess of bs laws...

Thx! I was reading the hb1240 paragraph above again and it seems to say that bringing a mag from outside WA into WA is "importing". That seems to conflict with the earlier mag ban law (as I understand it anyway). The 1240 excludes Wa to out of state and back from "import" defintion, but not the other way around.
The floor debate in 2022 they clarified this in amendments. In the 1240 floor debate, there were NO amendments and the dems were charging forth with no regard to clarifications on bad law.

The floor debate in 2022 they clarified this in amendments. In the 1240 floor debate, there were NO amendments and the dems were charging forth with no regard to clarifications on bad law.
Ahh I remember that now. As I recall they were in such a hurry -it's an emergency! :s0112: they said armed forces bringing gun home exemption, mags into and out of state, and 1 other (memory foggy on it) would cause "a change of scope" (which is BS of course).

Seems to me at the very least if the rule of lenity applies then these 2 laws conflict with each other. So it would be very hard to prosecute. Just guessing though. I'm no lawyer.

Last Edited:
If possible, avoid Washington unless 47 other states are burning.

Since Washington has little compassion for the law abiding, best to carry two or three 10 rounders, thus showing the idiocy of the law.

So asking here is probably not going to get you a fully legal answer. This guy covers it pretty good.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXiwsS0zMbs
This will be the first time I will disagree with a lawyer. He cites the law then says transporting is not the same as importing according to the law, yet the law he cited defines importing as including transporting (into the state)..
What am I missing?
1708817863478.png

This will be the first time I will disagree with a lawyer. He cites the law then says transporting is not the same as importing according to the law, yet the law he cited defines importing as including transporting (into the state)..
What am I missing?
View attachment 1830206
I hope you have a flame suit. Some people here don't like it when you point out his mistakes. Fe he still says you can't put title 1 firearms into a trust which is wrong. Tons of poeple here have done it and atf approved the applications for nfa items. :s0007:

Last Edited:
I hope you have a flame suit. Some people here don't like it when you point out his mistakes.
I like his channel and content. I also know that experienced people are also human and can overlook things. This exact question has come up several times since it passed and most here agree non-residents cant even visit with them. And we are not lawyers.

Flame on if anyone wants to waste their fuel. :)

The definitions of RCW 9.41 makes it clear as mud. They define a WA resident laving and returning with a mag, but not a non resident visiting.

I can see how it would be believed someone out of state could NOT use a 11+ round magazine within WA though.

23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.

The definitions of RCW 9.41 makes it clear as mud. They define a WA resident laving and returning with a mag, but not a non resident visiting.

I can see how it would be believed someone out of state could NOT use a 11+ round magazine within WA though.

23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.
I guess since HB1240 "Renacted and amended 941.010" that is the new language caused by 1240?

D5183B78-C98E-4F7D-8543-BE079EFF4836.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top