JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well,see,this is the problem. Not very many people that drink understand how drunk they are.
This is not from any study but personal experience. You drink and drive,you are a problem. 2 drinks or ten.
Trust me,I know this stuff
Go to You Tube and watch the videos
So now you want to introduce a gun.....:confused:
You are an idiot to drink any amount of alcohol and carry a gun.
Unless you have unlimited funds.;)
There is no way you can be clean of any shooting if you have been drinking and shoot someone
Well, per state laws, of I want to I can get drunk on my own property, and shoot a tresspasser and be in the clear. However, as a rule I never get puking or pass out drunk, that is just taking things too far. I don't mind going to a local pub with my underage son for some dinner, having a few drinks then driving us home and carrying the whole time. If more people could exibit a fair degree of self control around alcohol I would see no problem making it legal to carry in a bar. However, the problem is most people don't know when to stop and over indulge and that is where the problem lies. A person can mix alcohol and guns responsibly, but most can't.

What ever you want to do brah,just my opinion that when you drink,or anyone drinks,they loose some of their ability to reason. Most responsible folks know this.
Most drunks,like when I was younger don't want to admit this. I've gone thru this BS many times and know better now.
Rights and being a responsible adult can be two different ,conflicting ideals
Just because you have the right to buy a huge boat doesn't mean it would be responsible for you to own and float one.
Just because you can buy a 40 whatever ft motor home doesn't mean you should be driving one down the hiway.
Just because you can carry a gun when you are drinking,doesn't mean it is the best idea you ever had or best way to carry out your 2nd amendment rights
My advise is to be an adult and be safe for yourself,your family and your fellow human beings.
You decide how this effects your civil rights as you see fit.
Just don't expect a good outcome if you decide to defend yourself with a gun with alcohol in your system;)
And yes,anyone who disagrees with me isn't very smart:confused::s0008::s0133:
Sorry, but when I have a little alcohol in my system I am much more relaxed and shoot a much more accurate game of pool, cleaning up from the boys, and I hit the bullseye a lot more in darts. I'm not a girl you want to bet against drunk playing bar games. That said, I am anxious to try target shooting drunk, it stands to reason based on the above that I am probably more accurate with a gun too when I'm drunk.

Having worked in forensic toxicology for over 30 years and observing many hundreds of people at various alcohol blood levels, my conclusion is that any measureable level of alcohol does impair judgment, reflexes, response times, memory, etc. - the higher the level, the worse. That is why DOT sets a limit of any detectable alcohol (>0.02 g/210L for breath alcohol analyzers) as unacceptable for CDL holders. At 0.04, it is a violation for them.

My personal practice is not to drive or handle firearms if I have any alcohol in my system. Alcohol levels in breath and blood drop by 0.015 per hour in the average person. We are responsible for our own actions and need to make our own decisions ahead of time, not in the moment.
Well said! I keep in mind a certain number of red flags must present themselves before I draw my gun. If you constantly replay those flags and your responses to them your training your mind how to respond on instinct when the time comes. This way it is a reaction and no thinking is involved, impaired or not.

Would I feel impaired or unsafe if I had a beer or glass of wine with dinner...and was carrying?....
No , not any different than say driving home after the meal.

That said often appearances can work against you...While no time is good when you have to use a gun for defense...It could look bad if alcohol is suspected in your decision making.

I have had to twice in life ( not counting combat tours ) to use a firearm for defense.
( luckily no shots were fired )
Both times it seemed like every law enforcement officer in the world was asking me questions and poking around and into every bit of my house...

Everyone involved will be asking questions , judging your actions and "Monday Morning Quaterbacking" your every action , seven ways from Sunday.
It seems to me to , that if you are carrying , why give reason for any extra doubt to your thinking or actions , if you need to use your gun?

Again the above is just my thoughts and what works for me.... It is not for me to tell you what to do or what should work in your world.
Andy
Edit for pre-coffee spelling...:eek::D

Last Edited:
I would just like to know if the following RCW has any impact on this discussion.
RCW 9.41.098
Forfeiture of firearms—Disposition—Confiscation. (Effective until April 1, 2018.)

(1) The superior courts and the courts of limited jurisdiction of the state may order forfeiture of a firearm which is proven to be:
(e) In the possession of a person who is in any place in which a concealed pistol license is required, and who is under the influence of any drug or under the influence of intoxicating liquor, as defined in chapter46.61 RCW;

Last Edited:
Well said! I keep in mind a certain number of red flags must present themselves before I draw my gun. If you constantly replay those flags and your responses to them your training your mind how to respond on instinct when the time comes. This way it is a reaction and no thinking is involved, impaired or not.
Ella, this has nothing to do with the thread, but I wanted to compliment you for being a Detroit Tigers fan. I may or may not have an original Lance Parrish poster and my 1984 ticket from Tiger Stadium...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top