JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Folks

I've recently applied for my CPL here in Washington and while I'm waiting for the background check to finish, I'm trying to read through the pamphlet that my Sheriff had and familiarize myself with all the laws.

Do I understand correctly that you can carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol but you need to stay out of the bar area. Bars in general are off limits. Did I get that right?

And I haven't been able to find anything regarding the actual consumption of alcohol as it relates to carrying? For example, it's legal to drive as long as your Blood Alcohol is under .08. Are there similar laws for carrying and if so, what are they? Or can you point me in a direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

There is no law prohibiting the consumption of alcohol while carrying in the state of Washington.
Rcw 9.41.300 covers the areas off limits.
You may not carry into that area of an establishment deemed off limits to minors per the LCB.
There must, by law, be a sign conspicuously posted stating the area is off limits to minors per the LCB.
This law does not apply to tap rooms as minors are allowed.
When at a restaurant do be aware of your surroundings. I have been to several restaurants where you must walk through the off limits area to get to the bathroom. There is no provision in the law that covers this.
I was recently in a place where the off limits sign was below knee height and partially concealed by a bench. The LCB does not enforce the law.
I have been in one place that had zero signs.

:s0101:

Only thing I'll add is, Do You want your lawyer to explain that you were drunk when you shot the guy trying to rob you? Or did you just think he was trying to rob you...

You are not legally unable to drink but almost everyone who has carried for some time will tell you that booze in a public setting and guns aren't a good mix.

Good on you for spending your wait time doing research;)

As far as WA laws ,you can carry a gun in anywhere they allow minors
Now as far as drinking and carrying?
Only a fool would carry a gun when they are carrying. Nothing good can come of this

Well since people are gonna throw in opinions...
I personally see nothing wrong with enjoying a beer (or whatever your choice) with lunch or dinner.
It's socially acceptable to have a drink and drive. Why is it ok for me to have a drink then climb in my 5,000lb truck, with a minimum of 9 controls to legally and correctly drive, at 60 mph surrounded by others doing the same thing, but not if I'm carrying a Sig with 4 controls?
It makes zero sense.
There is a big difference between drinking and drunk.

Well since people are gonna throw in opinions...
I personally see nothing wrong with enjoying a beer (or whatever your choice) with lunch or dinner.
It's socially acceptable to have a drink and drive. Why is it ok for me to have a drink then climb in my 5,000lb truck, with a minimum of 9 controls to legally and correctly drive, at 60 mph surrounded by others doing the same thing, but not if I'm carrying a Sig with 4 controls?
It makes zero sense.
There is a big difference between drinking and drunk.
Well,see,this is the problem. Not very many people that drink understand how drunk they are.
This is not from any study but personal experience. You drink and drive,you are a problem. 2 drinks or ten.
Trust me,I know this stuff
Go to You Tube and watch the videos
So now you want to introduce a gun.....:confused:
You are an idiot to drink any amount of alcohol and carry a gun.
Unless you have unlimited funds.;)
There is no way you can be clean of any shooting if you have been drinking and shoot someone

Well,see,this is the problem. Not very many people that drink understand how drunk they are.
This is not from any study but personal experience. You drink and drive,you are a problem. 2 drinks or ten.
Trust me,I know this stuff
Go to You Tube and watch the videos
So now you want to introduce a gun.....:confused:
You are an idiot to drink any amount of alcohol and carry a gun.
Unless you have unlimited funds.;)
There is no way you can be clean of any shooting if you have been drinking and shoot someone
So if I'm following you then my choices are agree with you or else I'm an idiot. And don't engage in a legal behavior as it may have an adverse effect on your constitutional rights.
Gotcha.

So if I'm following you then my choices are agree with you or else I'm an idiot. And don't engage in a legal behavior as it may have an adverse effect on your constitutional rights.
Gotcha.
What ever you want to do brah,just my opinion that when you drink,or anyone drinks,they loose some of their ability to reason. Most responsible folks know this.
Most drunks,like when I was younger don't want to admit this. I've gone thru this BS many times and know better now.
Rights and being a responsible adult can be two different ,conflicting ideals
Just because you have the right to buy a huge boat doesn't mean it would be responsible for you to own and float one.
Just because you can buy a 40 whatever ft motor home doesn't mean you should be driving one down the hiway.
Just because you can carry a gun when you are drinking,doesn't mean it is the best idea you ever had or best way to carry out your 2nd amendment rights
My advise is to be an adult and be safe for yourself,your family and your fellow human beings.
You decide how this effects your civil rights as you see fit.
Just don't expect a good outcome if you decide to defend yourself with a gun with alcohol in your system;)
And yes,anyone who disagrees with me isn't very smart:confused::s0008::s0133:

I appreciate the responses.

I wasn't intending to hit the happy hours while I was carrying. My concern was more along the lines of, if I was home on the weekend and sat down to have lunch at noon and had a beer with my sammich. One beer. Then an hour and a half later I had to run down to Home Depot because the Mrs has a "honey do" list longer than my arm, and if you've ever seen Mrs Cabo angry...well, you know that's not a very pleasant experience. I digress.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my BAC would be 1.5 hours later on a single beer and weighing 210 lbs. It would probably be .01 or something but it probably wouldn't be 0. And I was trying to determine if that was legal.

What ever you want to do brah,just my opinion that when you drink,or anyone drinks,they loose some of their ability to reason. Most responsible folks know this.
Most drunks,like when I was younger don't want to admit this. I've gone thru this BS many times and know better now.
Rights and being a responsible adult can be two different ,conflicting ideals
Just because you have the right to buy a huge boat doesn't mean it would be responsible for you to own and float one.
Just because you can buy a 40 whatever ft motor home doesn't mean you should be driving one down the hiway.
Just because you can carry a gun when you are drinking,doesn't mean it is the best idea you ever had or best way to carry out your 2nd amendment rights
My advise is to be an adult and be safe for yourself,your family and your fellow human beings.
You decide how this effects your civil rights as you see fit.
Just don't expect a good outcome if you decide to defend yourself with a gun with alcohol in your system;)
And yes,anyone who disagrees with me isn't very smart:confused::s0008::s0133:
Except we're not discussing being drunk.
The OP asked a legal question about a drink. Not getting hammered.

I wasn't intending to hit the happy hours while I was carrying. My concern was more along the lines of, if I was home on the weekend and sat down to have lunch at noon and had a beer with my sammich. One beer. Then an hour and a half later I had to run down to Home Depot because the Mrs has a "honey do" list longer than my arm, and if you've ever seen Mrs Cabo angry...well, you know that's not a very pleasant experience. I digress.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my BAC would be 1.5 hours later on a single beer and weighing 210 lbs. It would probably be .01 or something but it probably wouldn't be 0. And I was trying to determine if that was legal.
Legally you're good to go.

Yes you are legal.

DO NOT ADMIT TO HAVING HAD ANYTHING TO DRINK THAT DAY AT ALL regardless of your BAL.

Made the mistake of responding to a cop who pulled me over for a headlight out. Asked if I had been drinking that day and I said yes, I had 1 beer with dinner 3 hours ago.

Out of the car was his response. Flock! I can not recite the alphabet backwards and doing all the bs tests they give you are stupid as can be. And I had 1 beer with a big dinner 3 hours prior.

Just be careful what you admit too without a lawyer would be my advise if the worst ever happens.

Almost every time someone has said "trust me" I either got $crewed, mislead, or was sorely disappointed. A life time later, like Pavlov's dog, no mater how good the car, situation or argument, every time I hear those words I get turned off and walk away.
:s0128: trust me!

is it legal to lie to the cops? Cause in my book admitting you had a beer at lunch isnt worth bringing up.

Gotcha.
There are lots of rights that can be exercised when doing so is NOT a good idea. Have ONE beer and then be forced to use your firearm, and you'll spend a lot of time and money trying to prove you weren't impaired when you made the decision to shoot. Any amount of alcohol brings your judgment into question by people who are paid to distort the facts. That guy representing your would-be mugger from the law firm of Phelan, Cheatam, and Steele is going to make you out to be falling down drunk and a lifelong alcoholic in the courtroom. Better to be able to say, "No, I had no alcohol that night."

There are lots of rights that can be exercised when doing so is NOT a good idea. Have ONE beer and then be forced to use your firearm, and you'll spend a lot of time and money trying to prove you weren't impaired when you made the decision to shoot. Any amount of alcohol brings your judgment into question by people who are paid to distort the facts. That guy representing your would-be mugger from the law firm of Phelan, Cheatam, and Steele is going to make you out to be falling down drunk and a lifelong alcoholic in the courtroom. Better to be able to say, "No, I had no alcohol that night."
I totally understand where you're coming from. As I said before this is my opinion.
I think we can all agree it is the individual's Right to make their own choice.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top