JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Question please.

I have never been around ANY type of a gun with a silencer so is it a soft popping sound if used on a handgun?

I did READ that they really protect your hearing even though I ALWAYS USE quality ear muffs AND ear plugs inside of them too. (My Rx eyeglasses have safety lenses too.) ....

This is my understanding from the internet, not actual experience because I've never even seen a supressor let alone used one, but the typical supressor will diminish the sound level by 25-30 dB (decibels). Hearing protection devices also tell you how much they suppress sound, and it is usually in the range of 25 to 35 dB. Noise causes damage through a combination of intensity and time, so lower intensity sound requires more time to damage hearing, and higher intensity sound less time.

Using the data below, if you are shooting a hunting rifle or an AR15 with muffs rated at a 30 dB reduction, you'll experience 137 or 135 dB respectively. If you look at the chart OSHA chart further down, any exposure at that level for a period of time less than 1 second, causes permanent hearing damage. Anything over 140 has no safe exposure time -- damage is instantaneous.

You do get some additional reduction by doubling up on plugs and muffs, but you can't just add the two together because of issues with bone conduction of sound: Double Hearing Protection: Two Devices for Best Hearing Safety I've heard different figures for the additional protection but always in the single digits. This contrasts with a sound supressor on firearm in that the dB reductions would add together -- if a supressor dropped the sound 20 dB before it even gets to you, the 30 dB muffs or plugs you wear would than drop the sound the full amount of their rating for a total of 50 dB in reduction (that drops the AR15 down to 115 dB and no gunshot lasts for 28 seconds, so it would not damage your hearing). You could finally sight in your hunting rifle without suffering permanent hearing loss every time despite hearing protection.

I found this chart of the sound pressure levels for various firearms here: https://www.dakotasilencer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Silencer_Sound_Comparsion_chart.pdf

dbs.png

And the OSHA guidelines for time vs. intensity here: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-126/pdfs/98-126.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98126

timedb.png

Last Edited:
... The morning news is going on and on about this and everything that I have READ says that the shooter bought all of his guns (Several recently but I can't find the LIST of them.) including the pistol he used on Friday legally. Yet, the anti gunners are calling for more GUN LAWS? ...

This story I read this morning said he bought one pistol in 2016 and another one in 2018, also had two other firearms at home. So not much of a collection. Virginia Beach shooter bought guns he used legally -federal agent - Reuters

Those are just normal crime days...

Reddit sucks. Idiots. :rolleyes:

Yeah, they got pics of that too!!

Report just the facts, I'm good at formulating my own opinions and conjecture...

You're dreaming of days gone by!!!

Now they will demonize the 1911

Glock owners unite!!!!

Security instructed the employees to hide under their desks. WTH?!

The lack of a solid plan reminds me of hiding under my desk at school during a nuclear attack drill back in the '50s.

Don't look at the flash...

This story I read this morning said he bought one pistol in 2016 and another one in 2018, also had two other firearms at home. So not much of a collection. Virginia Beach shooter bought guns he used legally -federal agent - Reuters

Headlines originally screamed about a gun collector and a cache, as well reporting the he had bought several firearms recently... Gee, turning out not to be true... Oh my! Pushing for ownership limits and purchase limits aren't they? How many firearms does that FOID allow one to have? And purchases must now be limited to one firearm per 10yrs and only 20rds a month. Oregon will see the rebirth of SB501 next year. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am I the only one that gets super pissed off at the fact that the media only pushes pictures and information of these shooters if they are white?

The headlines always read so racist when a white person goes psycho.

Any other race, no picture, no mention of race, nothing about his history.

Psycho is psycho, no color is needed to fill that bucket.

I hate our media more and more each day.
I came to the conclusion that he was black after reading two dozen articles about the shooting and not seeing his face on any of them

Honkies gets posted front and center all day long.... We all know the faces of shooters in CO theatre, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, etc...
But when the shooter doesn't fit the mold, they bury it... like the guy who shot up his prayer group in retaliation for the Charleston church shooting.

Doesn't matter though. Guns are going away regardless of race. Gun culture is going extinct. The 2nd Amendment will be ignored or abolished in a generation or two. Gun owners and conservatives have shown time and again they they don't care enough to get active. The antis have shown that they have the power and resources to defeat us. It's death by a thousand cuts and we are half way there.

Unless there is some cataclysmic shock and change to the political and social climate of this country, you may as well count the days

Virginia Beach Police Chief claims "No Amount of Gun Control" or Gun Laws would have prevented this tragedy or any of the others!

Yup, and the powers that be will terminate him any day now for speaking the truth, as it doesn't forward the agenda!:eek::eek::eek:

Virginia Beach Police Chief claims "No Amount of Gun Control" or Gun Laws would have prevented this tragedy or any of the others!

Yup, and the powers that be will terminate him any day now for speaking the truth, as it doesn't forward the agenda!:eek::eek::eek:
Shocking coming from a chief of police, I would expect such honestly and clarity to come from the local sheriff, not a political pawn... This will get buried in page 8 and not see the light of day. Don't want the sheeple to know they're being led to the slaughter...

And it's at this point, latest, that you ignore your employer's no firearms policy and institute your own no-dying policy.
Funny you say that, because I phrased exactly that in another thread regarding carrying at work... If they're not searching and wanding, I'm carrying... Period. My family depeands on me and my first responsibility is to them... Jobs come and go... Regardless of how good they are...

Funny you say that, because I phrased exactly that in another thread regarding carrying at work... If they're not searching and wanding, I'm carrying... Period. My family depeands on me and my first responsibility is to them... Jobs come and go... Regardless of how good they are...
No Job is worth my Life, PERIOD! if I cannot reasonabley expect job sight safety, i don't work there! If I feel that my safety is best served by carrying my own self defense, i will! Plain and simple!

Could one of our members with a can for a 45 please do a video demo, or better yet show your local TV news station exactly how "quiet" a suppressor is before they go the way of the bumpstock?

shhhh_n.jpg

When asked about "silencers", President Trump says: "I don't like them at all."

Could one of our members with a can for a 45 please do a video demo, or better yet show your local TV news station exactly how "quiet" a suppressor is before they go the way of the bumpstock?

View attachment 586409

When asked about "silencers", President Trump says: "I don't like them at all."

Lets hope that Jr. will pull him aside and set him straight before that happens......................

Ray

If we're going to talk about this horrific act, can we please stay away from the group bashing and using terms that can only divide us please. Anymore and this thread will unfortunately be closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top