JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never used anything fancier than a 3-12 Burris and later walkie talkies for come get me purposes. I don't know that patterning with cameras is less sporting. I chased a big White-faced buck up in the tiller area for 3 years. I knew about as much as I could have known, and he was still wicked smart and quiet, I saw him every year and learned much hunting him! Never got a shot! Game cams help put hunters on game when success rates are low and seasons are short.

back in the day they didn't have seasons and someone figured they better start limiting hunters ability, its been more ever since. I would not be surprised if they prohibit game cams in Oregon someday but I dont think that will happen for a while still.

back in the day they didn't have seasons and someone figured they better start limiting hunters ability, its been more ever since. I would not be surprised if they prohibit game cams in Oregon someday but I dont think that will happen for a while still.
If I put game cams out, my luck I'd come back to check them and I'd be standing on the fringes of an illegal pot grow that just got set up. 😂

Or we could just implement no camo, mandatory hunter safe orange, big game seasons will be restricted to 30-30 lever actions, slug guns, and black powder, no cover scents or urine, no blind hunting. I could keep going. How ridiculous people have become with imposing these new restrictions. They took dogs away in Oregon they might as well batten down the hatches. :cool:
Actually I think orange is required in Utah as I remember. Hunted there once many years ago on public land without success. Saw exactly zero deer over a five day period, and saw about eighty million orange-clad guys on ATV's.

Here is more to the story on Utah's latest rule, it sounds like Utah is making this an ethics subject. Apparently Boone and Crockett fair chase ethics now opposes using only trail cameras that transmit in real time and Utah took this one step further and banned all trail cameras.
I thought the article put together the ethics dilemma fairly from both sides, such as hunters that wait many years to draw a tag should be allowed to use cameras for that once or twice a lifetime hunt.

Some hunters, like Eric Montague, feel that moderate use of trail cameras is a fair strategy in return for decades of waiting for a special big-game tag.

Montague, who opposes any form of wireless transmission of remote-camera images, notes that an average Utah resident hunter can expect to draw only one or two premium-entry, big-game tags in their lifetime. He balks at such restrictions on hunting success, given the long waits for opportunity, especially for Utah's once-in-a-lifetime species such as bison, bighorn sheep, moose, and mountain goats.

"How can one argue that after waiting 30 years to hunt one of these 'premium entry' animals, it is unethical to use a trail camera to aid you at your one shot?"

I honestly have no use for any electronics while hunting except for my radio and a flashlight so I do not get stuck in the dark !
This is how I was taught. I don't necessarily mind all the gadgets, but I don't believe they make me a better hunter. If anything it takes away from getting better at my tracking skills and wildlife study.

My bowhunting buddy and I put a bunch of game cameras out in the national forest. We're a couple of retired guys with time on our hands. Gives us an excuse to get out of the house when hunting season isn't open. Kinda like shed hunting. It gives us an idea of what's out there. I've never even taken a shot at an animal that we've had on our game cameras. Not that I wouldn't, but usually by the time season rolls around, (elk especially) the animals have moved on to a different locale. Oftentimes the places we have our cameras placed aren't even accessible by the time season rolls around due to snowfall. Besides, we usually go over east to hunt elk and it's too far to set up cameras ahead of time. I suppose if I was willing to sit in a treestand for hours on end, I might be able to take a blacktail buck that we have on camera (my buddy has). But, I loathe sitting in treestands. We do get lots of great pictures/videos - bulls, bucks, cows, calves, does, fawns, porcupines, skunks, possum, squirrels, bats, birds, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, wolves, cougars and bears, lots of bears. Oh, and (particularly this year) other hunters.

We've only had a couple of cameras stolen over the years, despite having hunters who were obviously looking at our cameras on many occasions. Gives me hope for the hunting community in general.

Full disclosure: I'm not wild about the camera technology where the camera notifies the cell phone and says "this big boy is here right now", but unless and until it's illegal, I won't throw stones at those who use them. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews