JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you think they were wishing for a gun?

I suspect the guy who went first probably never knew what hit him. #2 was probably...well...number two-ing his shorts and was absolutely wishing for a gun. You'd have to be a special kinda stupid not to. Much like there are no atheists in foxholes, there are no anti-gunners when the crazy man comes in to shoot up the theater...or when a mountain lion attacks. :rolleyes:

^^^The person who was killed was a young woman. The cougar attacked the male first, and when the female fled, the cougar went after her and killed her. The male was taken to Harborview with a chewed-up head. When Fish and Game arrived and tracked the cougar, they found it on top of the female's body and she had wounds to the legs, face, head and neck. It would be God's mercy if she died quickly.

I have been hiking, bicycling, snowshoeing and XC skiing in the wet part of Washington state for over 50 years, both solo and with family and friends. I have rarely encountered larger animals in the wilderness. This event has made me ponder: if I do encounter a cougar, is the best course of action to do a 180 and head back for the trailhead in a tactical withdrawal, or continue on our original course?

My wife asked me what I would do in this situation. She asked if I would run to save my life?o_O My response was you don't know me very well if your asking that question, I'd shoot the bubbleguming thing and eat its heart!:D

^^^The person who was killed was a young woman. The cougar attacked the male first, and when the female fled, the cougar went after her and killed her. The male was taken to Harborview with a chewed-up head. When Fish and Game arrived and tracked the cougar, they found it on top of the female's body and she had wounds to the legs, face, head and neck. It would be God's mercy if she died quickly.

Interesting -- I read the article linked a couple posts above as well as the link in that article about a previous article regarding the victim ( Friends on Bikes Seattle launches Saturday with brunch and bike overnight ) -- in neither is it made clear that she was a "she".

It's funny how my mother sent me a text about cougars spotted near warm springs. She must be encouraging me to take my revolver out when I go fishing.

Interesting -- I read the article linked a couple posts above as well as the link in that article about a previous article regarding the victim ( Friends on Bikes Seattle launches Saturday with brunch and bike overnight ) -- in neither is it made clear that she was a "she".

Well, looking at this post that you linked to, one would assume that SJ was a member of what it says is the group "women/trans/femme/non-binary people of color".

So yes, technically, such a person could be a "he". But such a person would definitely tend to identify more with being female, than with being male. And the person's appearance would thus also often tend to be more that of a woman, rather than a man.

Just look at that flyer that SJ created. Does the bike rider image in it look more like a she, or a he? Which would thus be the more accurate term to use? Would you refer to this person below as being a "he"?

she-1.jpg

Reading the accounts of this incident, I have yet to see any real indication that either of them really fought the cougar, which was clearly physically smaller than either of them. Articles on cougar self defense that I have read have indicated that if attacked, your best defense is to injure them in their snout or eyes.

People seem to forget that human beings are animals too. And we can punch, gouge, and kick hard, if necessary.

With these individuals being avid bike riders, I would imagine that they were both probably in good physical shape. They both probably were physically up to defending themselves, but lacked the necessary mindset to do so.

Last Edited:
We get cougar sightings fairly often where I hunt ...
I have seen tracks where I hunt...but the only cougar I have seen in the "wild" was a one a few years ago...
He was a young cat and was running through what was then a field , by my house my where I walk my dog....:eek::D
I have no doubt that while I have not seen any while hunting...they have seen me.
Andy

Yea and if they keep this up it won't be just animals they have to worry about - a co-worker told me about he and his wife recently hiking and almost got hit by some cyclists hauling azz around a corner on a trail.

Yes!! When I lived in Bend (second only to Portland in # of cyclists), I was chased off the side of trails along the Deschutes. Rude F'ers. It's not that I like to hate on cyclists, I'm just pizzed off because of the times many have acted like they own the road/trail whatever. I've had to go around cyclists riding 3 or 4 abreast going into a turn on the highway... unsafe at the max! I've been flipped off for edging the nose of the car out to try to see past parked cars. Also for pulling out across the lanes when a cyclist was still 100yds away... wtf? They hate on me, I hate them back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top