JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People biking and running in the wilderness are all part of the food chain...

This one was popped about 45 minutes from my place, Sol Duc valley area... 2 years ago...

Cat1.jpg

.... or anything really. A combine would totally suck.

Yah, I get tired of these road warrior cyclists hogging the back roads and making it unsafe to pass, the flipping me off as I peruse their man knots. (I was trying to avoid saying man buns... I'm not perusing man buns!!!)
But then I look at your NWFA name........

A20E4109-C006-49C0-B086-6301B5C20454.jpeg There have been many cougar attacks.......and Mountian lion attacks too........in Southern California. Orange County near Irvine has had more than there share as has Santa Barbara county. When I studied Zoology at University of Idaho in the late 60's and early 70's, my old professor claimed there had never been a well documented attack of a cougar on a human. Off course, that changed in the late 70's. Doc Larrison (my professor and friend) was an old sourdough that had lived much of his life in the north woods and was very practical about wildlife management. He killed a grizzly one time with a 357 Magnum that was trying to claw through the roof of his camper to eat him. I think the last decades attacks are from familiarization by the cats with humans, lack of hunting pressure and our Walt Disney influenced attitude about wildlife in general. I am still not concerned about a cat that I see, it is the unseen one (like rattle snakes) that is most dangerous. We still hunt them with dogs here in Idaho and they stay very clear of my Akbash Dogs. But as in all things........it is best to be prepared. The big cats come through our ranch several times a year but as soon as they get a whiff of the scent of the Akbash, they turn heel and run off.

I'm sure they see the 'bikers' as prey and therefore chase them down. (Bet that Spandex tastes terrible tho)
That is the truth. They absolutely do. Some years back a bicycling enthusiast magazine suggested wearing a sturdy backpack, so that in case you are pounced on, you can quickly shed it and get back on your bicycle and ride to safety. I bubblegum you not one handful.

That is the truth. They absolutely do. Some years back a bicycling enthusiast magazine suggested wearing a sturdy backpack, so that in case you are pounced on, you can quickly shed it and get back on your bicycle and ride to safety. I bubblegum you not one handful.
By the time you would see one it would be real up and close! Backpack is as good an idea as any.

Mountain bikers and trail runners may not know the unique danger they volunteer for.
When you're moving fast through the woods, an animal may decide not to run when you suddenly come up on them.

I expect more of this to happen as unarmed city folk take to the woods for these two hobbies.
Mother Nature will thin the herd.

I am in the woods unarmed most of the time. About the only time I take a gun with me is if I am going to do a little target shooting. And yes, cougars and bears and coyote are up here on the mountain. Never had a cougar or bear stalk anybody up here that I know of - coyotes have shown some interest, probably more in the dogs people take for walks. Plenty of deer up here for any of them to hunt without taking on a dangerous human.

We often have mountain lions, and occasionally a bear, on our place. The young folks from the nearby university like to jog on our gravel road, and I've spoken to several of them to let them know when a lion has been seen here recently. I'm hoping to avert a disaster like this one. Sure sorry to hear about the attack. Glad they killed the cat.

This is a good lesson for people who are ignorant to the dangers of the woods.
If your afriad of guns fine, but take bear spray or something.

This is the reason I'm always looking behind me while hiking or hunting. Every few steps scan your background.

I look behind me and have my head on a swivel in the city. In my woods, not at all, and I am easy to sneak up on because I am half deaf. Maybe someday some big bad wild animal predator will catch me unawares, but it hasn't happened yet and I just don't feel afraid in the woods like I do in the city.

I am in the woods unarmed most of the time. About the only time I take a gun with me is if I am going to do a little target shooting. And yes, cougars and bears and coyote are up here on the mountain. Never had a cougar or bear stalk anybody up here that I know of - coyotes have shown some interest, probably more in the dogs people take for walks. Plenty of deer up here for any of them to hunt without taking on a dangerous human.
Yeah, but you are probably not zooming around on a mountain bike sportin' a man bun, either.
Makes a difference.

:D

It' been my experience with predators that there are three things that trigger an attack, they get startled, they see you as pray and attack ( the whole moving at speed thing triggers the chase) or their starving and will risk it to eat! I have seen it in big cats, bears, and wolves! Bears and Wolves will usually avoid any enconter with man unless you screw up, the cats are a whole different story! Most Cougar attacks were on runners or mountain bikers, or hikers that smelled like pepperoni sticks, where bears it usually you getting close to cubs, threatening to them, or startling them, pretty much the same with Wolves and even Coyote! I have worked with my Sheriffs aux seach and rescue for a number of years and the attacks all follow a pretty predictable series of events where the human caused the attack! We try not to punish the predator when possable, but once they become a man killer, there is no other options! Bears are the only ones who have a chance IF you can locate the actual bear, trap it and relocate it! Cats and K-9s not so much!

Yeah, but you are probably not zooming around on a mountain bike sportin' a man bun, either.
Makes a difference.

:D

I used to - sans the man bun though.

If there is easy prey in my woods, it isn't someone on a bicycle, it is that decrepit bald overweight old man who can't walk 100 yards uphill without wheezing and having to sit down and take a breather.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top