JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really didn't need to read this thread. My neighbor has caught a cougar stocking him on his game cam and one ate an elk on his front lawn, about 600feet from where I'm sitting right now.

I regularly carry outside but taking the trash to the end of the driveway when you are by yourself in the woods is a little spooky.

I figure they would probably go for my chickens or rabbits first but, still doesn't make me less paranoid. We have seen a bear next door and bear poop on one side of the property. We always carry but, it's what you don't see that is disturbing.

I need to see a picture of this. That is Fing insane.
In my country, it's not unusual to flip the lights on the alfalfa at night, to shag the deer / elk out, and see 5 to 7 cats on a kill. Triplet Cubs are common ( plenty of food), and the young females hang with ma for a couple years. Old males are solitary, but not always. Last year in deer season, neighbors hunters got into a herd " cats running everywhere". Only one they killed was a big male. It's not all in the books.

In the part of oregon I'm from (above crown point) cats have been stalking and attempting to attack road bicyclists for some time.
I will ask a friend of mine of some pics from his trail cam, because, in recent years, due to restrictions on using dogs for wildcat hunting, there are more cats than food on larch mtn, and some cats have taken to hunting in packs.
He has pics of as many as 7 together, which is terrifying. My mother sees them off her back porch nightly, more in recent weeks than before.

Edited for punctuation. Punctuation still likely incorrect.
I have never heard the like.......:eek:

I've seen the photos and video as well as the story that somebody I know went to his back porch in this area... and momma kitty bolted from under the porch. Kitten kitty was on the porch earlier that morning. This is within the last three weeks.

photo via the video from inside the house of the 'kitten.'

View attachment 461522 View attachment 461523

Used to ride my mountain bike in both of these areas. I was hauling butt down a trail in the area circled in red and I thought I heard some crashing in the brush. I stopped and listened. Definitely heard a bunch and then it stopped. I thought maybe it was a transient bum guy or something and took back off. Way down the hill I heard the same thing again. I stopped and got ready to try to defend myself. The crashing stopped again and didn't resume. After sitting for a few minutes with my eyes peeled I got the heck out of there. Don't think I went back after that.
fullsizeoutput_11db.png
Fast forward about 15 years. Here not too far from downtown Spokane I heard a bunch of crashing through the brush. I went to the edge of this little cliff and looked down to see a big old cat! I immediately remembered the noise from Corvallis. No doubt in my mind I was being pursued by a cougar.

I always figured they would be stealthy, good thing these 2 weren't.

In my country, it's not unusual to flip the lights on the alfalfa at night, to shag the deer / elk out, and see 5 to 7 cats on a kill. Triplet Cubs are common ( plenty of food), and the young females hang with ma for a couple years. Old males are solitary, but not always. Last year in deer season, neighbors hunters got into a herd " cats running everywhere". Only one they killed was a big male. It's not all in the books.
Well Damn. That is terrifying.

I wear spandex on my road bikes and baggier clothes on my mountain bikes. I have ridden my MTB in the same area as the cougar attack in North Bend. This is one of the reasons why a lightweight .357 is always in the handlebar bag of any bicycle that I am riding: anything from animal attack, to attempted robbery and theft of my bike, to Cletus and Billy Bob thinking it is funny to throw a beer bottle at me from the F-150.

Spandex is only authorized for female use and then only for approved females. That is all.

I am a surly bald white guy, almost 60 years old, who works in healthcare administration. I have been riding bicycles and motorcycles for decades and I wear what I want on the bikes. The advantage of a spandex jersey is that a small .380 fits neatly into the rear pocket, and everyone thinks it is an energy bar. Don't make the mistake of thinking all bicyclists are snowflakes.

PS: I put the .380 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster to break up the outline.

I wear spandex on my road bikes and baggier clothes on my mountain bikes. I have ridden my MTB in the same area as the cougar attack in North Bend. This is one of the reasons why a lightweight .357 is always in the handlebar bag of any bicycle that I am riding: anything from animal attack, to attempted robbery and theft of my bike, to Cletus and Billy Bob thinking it is funny to throw a beer bottle at me from the F-150.

Cletus & Billy Bob are why I quit riding on public roads

Yah, I get tired of these road warrior cyclists hogging the back roads and making it unsafe to pass,
Yea and if they keep this up it won't be just animals they have to worry about - a co-worker told me about he and his wife recently hiking and almost got hit by some cyclists hauling azz around a corner on a trail.

Yea and if they keep this up it won't be just animals they have to worry about - a co-worker told me about he and his wife recently hiking and almost got hit by some cyclists hauling azz around a corner on a trail.

Some years ago, an elderly woman was run over and killed by a bicyclist on a trail in Renton. I have a particular peeve against the bicyclists on crowded public trails who are doing their Lance Armstrong impression and go zipping by at 25 MPH. Way too dangerous, in my view.

Way too dangerous, in my view.
Yea - and it wasn't just my co worker I heard it from but others as well. I certainly not am not a fan of new rules or regs but maybe something along the lines of of a vehicle cannot use the trail then it should include bicycles as well.

I wear spandex when I do road biking since it has pads for my rear end so I can ride for miles in comfort. I carry my FNX-9 when I ride and I use a Pistol Wear holster. All of my shorts are black and I wear a bright lime green shirt for visibility. Also have two super bright flashing tail lights and two white lights. Both headlights flash and if I have the the bright light on (not flashing) I have a smaller light that I set for flashing,

I will not carry a striker fired pistol around my waist.

PT-2 Concealment Holster

I wear spandex when I do road biking since it has pads for my rear end so I can ride for miles in comfort. I carry my FNX-9 when I ride and I use a Pistol Wear holster. All of my shorts are black and I wear a bright lime green shirt for visibility. Also have two super bright flashing tail lights and two white lights. Both headlights flash and if I have the the bright light on (not flashing) I have a smaller light that I set for flashing,

I will not carry a striker fired pistol around my waist.

PT-2 Concealment Holster

A man after my own heart: I am wearing something fluorescent and lighted any time I am on two wheels. Back when I was working the Medic One unit and taking care of bicyclists/motorcyclists that had been run over, you could count on the driver of the car saying 'I never saw them'. I now try to stack the odds in my favor by improving my visibility.

The difference between dark colors and some fluorescent bright color is readily apparent when you see a cyclist at a distance in poor weather/lighting conditions.

I know people wear dark colors because they don't show the dirt as easily, but I would rather look like I am wearing dirty visible clothing than hard to see dark clothing.

A man after my own heart: I am wearing something fluorescent and lighted any time I am on two wheels. Back when I was working the Medic One unit and taking care of bicyclists/motorcyclists that had been run over, you could count on the driver of the car saying 'I never saw them'. I now try to stack the odds in my favor by improving my visibility.

I was almost run over one time when a guy was talking on his cell phone or SMS. I guess the almighty god was watching over me that day. I have a rear view mirror on the left side of my bike as well so I was able to swerve a bit deeper into the bike lane but it was a close call that day.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads