JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assault Cougars.jpg :D:D:eek:

Mountain bikers and trail runners may not know the unique danger they volunteer for.
When you're moving fast through the woods, an animal may decide not to run when you suddenly come up on them.

Agreed. I used to do a little Mountain Biking and I would come upon and startle animals all the time. When I am hiking I almost never see animals. As you've suggested, if they can hear you coming they have time to hide.

Agreed. I used to do a little Mountain Biking and I would come upon and startle animals all the time. When I am hiking I almost never see animals. As you've suggested, if they can hear you coming they have time to hide.
I was ripping around on some to heck and gone abandoned(ish)paved roads up on the west side of Mt Hood on a quiet 400DRZ-S and smacked into a full-tilt black bear about ten years ago. I always had my hammerless 5-shot stoked with treasury loads/appendix carry on me.
On the way back down I met some dude and asked him what he was up to.. "checking my game cams for black bear"..
lol

I am a mountain biker and I am prime kitty food... big, old and slow. I carry my XDS 3.3" .45acp in the goose neck bag on my bike when ever I am on the trail and never felt it would do much good against a cougar. The recent cougar death in Washington gives me a touch more confidence that a .45 might save my life someday. I figure the chances of being chomped on by a cat are very small compared to the real dangers out there. I am probably 100x more likely to be killed in a car accident driving to the trail head than to encounter a wild animal that will attack me on the trail.

The road bikers are the nutty ones! They act like A-holes and they think they are going to have any chance against the automobiles that they are pissing off! Road biking is one of the most dangerous sports that I know of.

Here in Central Oregon there are the local road bikers that for the most part obey the law and are respectful of others they are sharing the road with. I pass two or three of them every day on the way into work and exchange nods with them. But every summer we get the influx of Californeans and Valley folk that think they are still in Eugene or Portland and act like complete idiots thinking they own the road. I am quite happy to give the local folk riding in the bike lane a wide swath of road and plenty of room as I go around them. But the outsiders that insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast and holding up traffic I won't give and extra inch to. If they can't obey the law and be courteous users of the road like the rest of civilization they are more than welcome to eat gravel!

Last Edited:
There is however there is a new species of Cougar that is evolving. One that had planned to mate for life but lost it's male companion due to death or other circumstances. This new breed has adequate resources for survival and is well equipped to re-enter the wilderness. Because of it's years of experience it is considerably more dangerous than it's male counterpart, is very sly and cunning and bears considerable watching. It is very selective and will take whatever new male companion it chooses. Even the strongest male can fall victim as it displays a larger more comfortable cave/home it has created, ample sustenance and comfort. Also because of it's years of coexistence with a dedicated male, and possible domination by same, it will no longer allow itself to be controlled and will, in fact, dominate any new male it takes as a companion. This new breed displays an insatiable desire to mate and any incapacity, carelessness or neglect by the male will result in his immediate ejection from the cave/nest by the now dominate female.

There is however there is a new species of Cougar that is evolving. One that had planned to mate for life but lost it's male companion due to death or other circumstances. This new breed has adequate resources for survival and is well equipped to re-enter the wilderness. Because of it's years of experience it is considerably more dangerous than it's male counterpart, is very sly and cunning and bears considerable watching. It is very selective and will take whatever new male companion it chooses. Even the strongest male can fall victim as it displays a larger more comfortable cave/home it has created, ample sustenance and comfort. Also because of it's years of coexistence with a dedicated male, and possible domination by same, it will no longer allow itself to be controlled and will, in fact, dominate any new male it takes as a companion. This new breed displays an insatiable desire to mate and any incapacity, carelessness or neglect by the male will result in his immediate ejection from the cave/nest by the now dominate female.
That made the hair on top a my head stand up..

upload_2018-5-22_18-59-38.jpeg

... The road bikers are the nutty ones! They act like A-holes and they think they are going to have any chance against the automobiles that they are pissing off! Road biking is one of the most dangerous sports that I know of. ...

My wife absolutely hates road bikers and she loves cats. When I told her a cougar ate a biker she said "Yes!!" -- when I told her they shot the cougar she was sad.

Personally, I don't really get mad at anyone when I'm driving, which is really funny when I'm driving with my wife -- she gets mad at me for not getting mad. :rolleyes:

Any group has a small percentage of idiots that pizzes off those from the outside. We are subject to that ourselves, so don't judge all cyclists (or others) based on a few jerks. There are a few groups that are mostly jerks like Antifa, the MSM, anybody funded by Soros or Bloomberg who are dedicated to the destruction of The Republic. I save my ire for them; the rest are but a few seconds of "WTF?".

Thought you were talking about the pack of feminist/ lesbian cougars that roam OR called NOW/ Ceasefire. After the 2016 election, they vowed to elect a woman to every political office in OR.

I am a mountain biker and I am prime kitty food... big, old and slow. I carry my XDS 3.3" .45acp in the goose neck bag on my bike when ever I am on the trail and never felt it would do much good against a cougar. The recent cougar death in Washington gives me a touch more confidence that a .45 might save my life someday. I figure the chances of being chomped on by a cat are very small compared to the real dangers out there. I am probably 100x more likely to be killed in a car accident driving to the trail head than to encounter a wild animal that will attack me on the trail.

The road bikers are the nutty ones! They act like A-holes and they think they are going to have any chance against the automobiles that they are pissing off! Road biking is one of the most dangerous sports that I know of.

Here in Central Oregon there are the local road bikers that for the most part obey the law and are respectful of others they are sharing the road with. I pass two or three of them every day on the way into work and exchange nods with them. But every summer we get the influx of Californeans and Valley folk that think they are still in Eugene or Portland and act like complete idiots thinking they own the road. I am quite happy to give the local folk riding in the bike lane a wide swath of road and plenty of room as I go around them. But the outsiders that insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast and holding up traffic I won't give and extra inch to. If they can't obey the law and be courteous users of the road like the rest of civilization they are more than welcome to eat gravel![/QUOTE

Tryng to bully a car with a bike is like taking a knife to a gun fight

I have both a road bike and mountain bike and I obey the traffic laws when riding. It pisses me off to no end when I see cyclists on the road blowing thru stop signs, failing to signal and taking up half the road (when they can ride single file). I want to roll down my window and yell at them that they give the rest of us a bad name because of what they do or don't do.

I have both a road bike and mountain bike and I obey the traffic laws when riding. It pisses me off to no end when I see cyclists on the road blowing thru stop signs, failing to signal and taking up half the road (when they can ride single file). I want to roll down my window and yell at them that they give the rest of us a bad name because of what they do or don't do.

I'll drive so your closer to the action from the passenger seat!:D

Sad to see the perspectives here. Such an intolerant reactive bunch. I like guns but the callousness on display here reinforces why I don't care for this community.

This was a freak occurrence, you are more likely to get struck by lightning than be killed by a cougar and yet a number of folks here want to make fun of these bikers and act as though they deserved it. Shame on you.

List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia (<20 listed)
Lightning deaths at all-time record low in 2017

Meanwhile others talk about running bikers off the road and then complain that bikers nearly hit their friends who were hiking. Can you not see the hypocrisy?

Looks like these bikers were "gravel biking", on gravel roads, not even singletrack. Gravel biking is becoming more popular as a being more scenic and avoiding the traffic on paved roads.

I need to see a picture of this. That is Fing insane.
Animal planet had a show a few years back that showed at least 7 grown lions hunting together. They had them recorded on night vision. Not sure the program but it was in Washington and when I watched it I was like ohh bubblegum, eveloution at its finest!!

That's kinda the thing about forums. They do have a tendency to go off track at times. This event IS a terrible thing but the comments as to bikes being considered prey is quite true and normal. Bumping bikes off the road is to be taken as humor, not seriously. But you have to admit that many times bikers break the rules and run stop signs ride 2 abreast and are rude to drivers. Not all, probably only few but ... But then not all gun owners are killers and white supremacists.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top