JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to set up my system of home defense, and besides making it harder to break in, I'm wanting to have a firearm readily accessible from basically every area of my home that every adult in my family can access no matter where they are at home if someone were to break in. I know it sounds a little paranoid to have a pistol in every room of the home, but that's basically what I'm going for. I taught my wife and other family members to shoot safely, but they're not into firearms, and won't carry one, esp at home.

I need it to be reliable, easy to operate, and inexpensive enough that I can mount one in a fingerprint/pin pistol safe in a discreet location in each living room, kitchen, and possibly one bathroom. We don't have a huge home, 3bd, 2 bath (1 in master bd), kitchen and two living areas. I'm thinking I need 6, one in each living room, one in the common bath, one in kitchen, and one in 2 bdrms, as I have my safe in my master bd and master bath shouldn't need one. Wanting to go with all the same model so its all the same manual of arms, and I just need to train my family on how to operate one specific pistol.

Going with a M&P9, G19 etc would end up costing too much even if I were to go used. I'm seeing a lot of the EAA witness or model pistols on the CDNN email list and have read reviews of those being good reliable guns for the money, with some going for as low as $250-280. Any other recommendations? Maybe I can get a bulk discount? :D

It'd be FAR more cost effective, as well as more responsive to a situation for every eligible member of the household to get their CPL and always carry SOMETHING on their person, like many (including myself) do. ;)

Yeah I've tried, there's no way my wife and mother-in-law will carry at home, its a lost cause :( They're of the mindset that nothing will ever happen, and they feel safer now that I've reinforced the door frames at home, added cameras everywhere, and 3M filmed all the windows.

Staking your life and the lives of your family on "budget handguns?

Nope.

You know what I mean man, budget doesn't have to mean unreliable, there's awesome ratings on those EAA's for example

Another option was my wife really likes her M&P Shield EZ, maybe getting 5 more of those if they go on sale.

Edit: Also saw Ruger SR9e, buddy has one and says has been reliable

Last Edited:
You know what I mean man, budget doesn't have to mean unreliable, there's awesome ratings on those EAA's for example

Another option was my wife really likes her M&P Shield EZ, maybe getting 5 more of those if they go on sale.

I've got one, and I like it. Not the best caliber, but I sure wouldn't want to take one center mass.

Yep, Shield has a narrow profile and grip that folks with smaller hands seem comfortable with. With Taran Tactical extenders, you get 10+1 rds of wholesome goodness. :)

Ditto Sccy, Kel-Tec 9mm (as long as they can shoot these). Larger, the EAA's get great talk. The Canik looks and I keep hearing great reviews on. I have no use or need of another large frame full capacity 9mm but when I keep seeing those Caniks for less than $300 I am very temped to buy one just because. I have an old P Series Ruger I bought just as the great clinton ban was going to go in. Did not want it but wanted one double stack 9. I ended up keeping it for Wife. It's large enough she can shoot it with +P ammo and nothing to remember. Just pick it up and it will fire 16 times if needed. You should be able to find these used in the same price range as the Canik or the EAA's. I do keep guns in almost every room of our home too now that the kids are gone. Tend to carry at home also but just like having a gun at all points in the home.

Not a great idea, IMO.

Since your family is less interested (not interested enough to carry), you are more likely giving a "smash and grab" type home break in thieves easy opportunity to access a firearm to be used on whoever may be coincidentally at home at the time.

Turns a possible survivable home invasion situation (blunt instrument attack etc), into one markedly less so.

We carry. All the time.

I realize that isn't helpful to your situation specifically, but, if YOU carry *all the time* is an idea.

Now, if you are considering having *reasonably secure* firearms thruout parts of the home, that would be a secondarily better idea. "Quick access" pistol boxes, as a simple example.

As to inexpensive firearms for the task? There honestly is no way to answer that, as the best firearms are ones which they would shoot well. You know that.

We have multiples of our house/camp guns. Canik TP9SF's, because they fit us well, and we shoot them well. Reasonably priced, perfect out of the box, remarkably reliable. Come with a reasonably decent OWB retention holster.

For our house/camp versions of them I threw streamlights on them and had kydex holsters made up. Lost true retention doing so, but still reasonably decent enough retention given the oversized holster for the light. No issues running etc.

The extras I bought because they were so reasonably priced, thinking it'd be a decent idea having some put back for inevitable failures. Haven't had any issues, and that's likely broaching 10,000rds+ thru them (each!). So the extras are simply secured, boxed in the safe.

Upside to having matched firearms is extra magazines for range use plus charged spares for HD (mags are pricey), but just the other day on here another member had 5 up for sale at a great price. So picked them up. Missed out on his +2's he had listed, but we had allready picked some of those up anyways.

...anyways my $.02. Your gonna do what your gonna do.

I have a huge concern over buying budget firearms for critical defense. Its hard enough to pray the good ones will work when it needs be, I would not like to put my life on the line for a missfire/jam on these cheapys you will find they all end up with ramp issues and feed issues and well at 2am and your in the can, grabbing that 175.00 highpoint, well lets just say I hope your sitting down in that bathroom,when it fails. Scary !!

Hey I get it most do you want protection, so why not buy better reliable firearms and put these in strategic zones until you can afford more.

I read this and went oh sheeet ..... nope nada now way. Hope it all works out for you !

I have a huge concern over buying budget firearms for critical defense. Its hard enough to pray the good ones will work when it needs be, I would not like to put my life on the line for a missfire/jam on these cheapys you will find they all end up with ramp issues and feed issues and well at 2am and your in the can, grabbing that 175.00 highpoint, well lets just say I hope your sitting down in that bathroom,when it fails. Scary !!

Hey I get it most do you want protection, so why not buy better reliable firearms and put these in strategic zones until you can afford more.

I read this and went oh sheeet ..... nope nada now way. Hope it all works out for you !

Agreed!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR