JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a great idea, IMO.

Since your family is less interested (not interested enough to carry), you are more likely giving a "smash and grab" type home break in thieves easy opportunity to access a firearm to be used on whoever may be coincidentally at home at the time.

Turns a possible survivable home invasion situation (blunt instrument attack etc), into one markedly less so.

We carry. All the time.

I realize that isn't helpful to your situation specifically, but, if YOU carry *all the time* is an idea.

Now, if you are considering having *reasonably secure* firearms thruout parts of the home, that would be a secondarily better idea. "Quick access" pistol boxes, as a simple example.

As to inexpensive firearms for the task? There honestly is no way to answer that, as the best firearms are ones which they would shoot well. You know that.

We have multiples of our house/camp guns. Canik TP9SF's, because they fit us well, and we shoot them well. Reasonably priced, perfect out of the box, remarkably reliable. Come with a reasonably decent OWB retention holster.

For our house/camp versions of them I threw streamlights on them and had kydex holsters made up. Lost true retention doing so, but still reasonably decent enough retention given the oversized holster for the light. No issues running etc.

The extras I bought because they were so reasonably priced, thinking it'd be a decent idea having some put back for inevitable failures. Haven't had any issues, and that's likely broaching 10,000rds+ thru them (each!). So the extras are simply secured, boxed in the safe.

Upside to having matched firearms is extra magazines for range use plus charged spares for HD (mags are pricey), but just the other day on here another member had 5 up for sale at a great price. So picked them up. Missed out on his +2's he had listed, but we had allready picked some of those up anyways.

...anyways my $.02. Your gonna do what your gonna do.

Thanks for your input, I do carry all the time, but am away at work 6 days a week almost 12+ hrs each day.

I did mention securing each one in a pistol fingerprint/pin safe hidden in each location

I do like the Canik's, will take a look at those.

Mainly wanting to hear the group's experience with less expensive pistols and if they've been reliable for them. Reliability is paramount but that doesn't mean I need to spend $1k on each one to get it.

The OP sounds a little scary to me.......he needs to buy a dog and worry less about the guns.
Seriously?

I am wearing an HK, sitting next to my glock which is the downstairs gun.

Another HK and 20 gauge on my wife's side of the bed, suppressed ar15 next to my side.

Ar15 in my bathroom so no one catches me on the crapper unarmed.

If you don't have kids, and no kids or felons visiting, who cares.

Seriously?

I am wearing an HK, sitting next to my glock which is the downstairs gun.

Another HK and 20 gauge on my wife's side of the bed, suppressed ar15 next to my side.

Ar15 in my bathroom so no one catches me on the crapper unarmed.

If you don't have kids, and no kids or felons visiting, who cares.
You are not worried about the cost........that was his primary issue. I have guns everywhere (100,000 worth) but that doesn't answer his question. Dogs have proven to be the best first defense........much better than a gun......although I want a gun to back up my 500 lbs of Akbash.........I like this one in the house. They are on sale (parkerized ones) for 369.00

7DAD9A12-A5BD-4638-8BB4-0E4BB720BA26.jpeg

Last Edited:
How many handguns do you have now?
If it's zero, if you buy one, then you'll be 100% ahead of where you are now. If you already have one worth having, get another like it, or not, and then train them wimmens a little.
Maybe you could duct tape one onto a Roomba and program it to follow them around so one is always in the room with them.
lulz

How many handguns do you have now?
If it's zero, if you buy one, then you'll be 100% ahead of where you are now. If you already have one worth having, get another like it, or not, and then train them wimmens a little.
Maybe you could duct tape one onto a Roomba and program it to follow them around so one is always in the room with them.
lulz

I have quite a few handguns actually, but they're all different models (HK, Sig, Walther, M&P, etc) that I'm interested in, and I don't want to disburse those around the home for that purpose especially when they're all different manual of arms.

Thanks for your input, I do carry all the time, but am away at work 6 days a week almost 12+ hrs each day.

I did mention securing each one in a pistol fingerprint/pin safe hidden in each location

I do like the Canik's, will take a look at those.

Mainly wanting to hear the group's experience with less expensive pistols and if they've been reliable for them. Reliability is paramount but that doesn't mean I need to spend $1k on each one to get it.

Ahh missed the bit about pistol boxes for each, my apologies! Then yah, that is a reasonable secondary option.

If you have friends who run the Caniks, might be worthwhile to have the wife and MIL try them out. Think they come with 3 grip size adjustment doohickeys. 1 on gun and 2 extra in the boxes. Really depends if it fits there hands, they're full size guns.

No safety (your finger), so a bigger lockbox would be in order to include a holster, or use the retention holster without screwing on the belt/pant bracket. Then it's 2 hands, rather than a simple reach in the box and bugger hook on the trigger & "BLAM!".

We never lock up guns condition 1 without a holster.

-Or perhaps a range which rents, that'd be an option as well. They could try a bunch of different ones out. Mayhaps your MIL (or the wife), don't or can't deal well with semi - autos (malfunction drills), and wheel guns might be a better option. Mind, we have not had true malfunctions with the Caniks, but drill as if we did.

A bunch to think on, but good on ya for thinking on it!

You are not worried about the cost........that was his primary issue. I have guns everywhere (100,000 worth) but that doesn't answer his question. Dogs have proven to be the best first defense........much better than a gun......although I want a gun to back up my 500 lbs of Akbash.........I like this one in the house. They are on sale (parkerized ones) for 369.00

View attachment 452796
Fair enough. But we shouldn't attack OP for wanting to be prepared. Big dogs are great for defense, but my little 38 lb hiking buddy is gonna hunker down with the wife while I go take care of business in armor.

Basically. To me dogs are my baby's, not my defenders.

Fair enough. But we shouldn't attack OP for wanting to be prepared. Big dogs are great for defense, but my little 38 lb hiking buddy is gonna hunker down with the wife while I go take care of business in armor.

Basically. To me dogs are my baby's, not my defenders.
Even the smallest dogs are the best alarm and bad guys don't want to deal with them. When ex-criminal types are interviewed, most if not all say if they hear a dog they go to the next house. That is the best kind of defense. It is so effective that people buy recordings of barking dogs attached to alarm systems. I suppose, if you are a drug dealer with lots of cash and drugs around, you could be targeted and all bets are off.(even they use pit bulls) Handguns are one step above a knife in self defense. Even cops won't knowlingly go into a gun fight with one......preferring a shotgun or carbine. I am highly trained (13 years USAF called special operations today) and if we were down to a handgun, we screwed something up. Even my ex US Army forward controller buddy, the Sherriff says his handgun is a tool used to fight his way to a long gun. This isn't a Hollywood production. If a bad guy is hiding behind a door or sheet rock wall....he is toast if I am using my SCAR 17s.

Last Edited:
This is great defensive prep!

I would vote for the canicks. Base model is fairly cheap, high capacity and low recoil.

These were actually pretty easy to do, YouTube door armor and there are a few companies that sell the door frame reinforce kits. Two guys with a battering ram couldn't knock the door down. Next project is to switch out interior doors with steel and reinforce those as well, especially our master and MIL's bdrm door as she is with baby alone all day.

The 3M film was super easy to apply and makes entry through very tough, YouTube 3M security films for demos. Very easy to apply, basically like putting a screen protector on your phone but larger scale. Many online vendors sell common sizes, I had to custom order for an unusually large window. Very inexpensive glass protection.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a SCCY CPX-2 for defense. American made. Completely reliable for me. Budget friendly. I would trust the Canik's too. Honestly, a police trade M&P can be had, when available, for right around $300 - that's what I have for my bedside gun, and am fully convinced it will work when I need it. Came with night sights too.

These were actually pretty easy to do, YouTube door armor and there are a few companies that sell the door frame reinforce kits. Two guys with a battering ram couldn't knock the door down. Next project is to switch out interior doors with steel and reinforce those as well, especially our master and MIL's bdrm door as she is with baby alone all day.

The 3M film was super easy to apply and makes entry through very tough, YouTube 3M security films for demos. Very easy to apply, basically like putting a screen protector on your phone but larger scale. Many online vendors sell common sizes, I had to custom order for an unusually large window. Very inexpensive glass protection.

I am planning to do all of these to my first house. Unfortunatly I am still renting :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top