JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a thought...

With all the negativity about gun owners with lots of guns, why are we putting down people on our own forum that want a gun in every room?

One of the core members that past a few years ago advocated and did this very thing and no one said a word about it.

I don't carry 100% of the time while home but I put a couple in different regular places when i am at home and lock them back up when I leave.

If it's not for you then why take the time to criticize someone else's choices?

Even the smallest dogs are the best alarm and bad guys don't want to deal with them. When ex-criminal types are interviewed, most if not all say if they hear a dog they go to the next house. That is the best kind of defense. It is so effective that people buy recordings of barking dogs attached to alarm systems. I suppose, if you are a drug dealer with lots of cash and drugs around, you could be targeted and all bets are off.(even they use pit bulls) Handguns are one step above a knife in self defense. Even cops won't knowlingly go into a gun fight with one......preferring a shotgun or carbine. I am highly trained (13 years USAF called special operations today) and if we were down to a handgun, we screwed something up. Even my ex US Army forward controller buddy, the Sherriff says his handgun is a tool used to fight his way to a long gun. This isn't a Hollywood production. If a bad guy is hiding behind a door or sheet rock wall....he is toast if I am using my SCAR 17s.
Good point on the ineffectiveness of handguns.

I 100% agree with you, Unfortunatly I am so used to stubborn people insisting on using them, it doesn't phase me anymore :(

OP would be much better served with 1 or 2 ARs in the house.

Also, yes, dogs are great alarms, and mine does sound fierce, even though he is a total wuss :)

Reliable guns on the cheap...

Taurus 85, not a lot for capacity, but the gun + hundreds of rounds can be had for under $300
EAA/SAR other Italian/Turkish CZ clones... price is right and they work.
Police Trade-ins Check out CDNN or Aimsurplus... they have Glocks, Berettas and S&Ws in your price range.

Personally, I am never more than arms length to a firearm. I learned at an early age that being armed is the only sure way to be safe.

I would also avoid the biometric/fingerprint lockboxes... they can be unreliable and dont have the option for multiple users.
Dogs? They are great early warning systems... but unless they are really scary or attack trained, they may not be more than a speed bump to a determined home invasion.
I can think of my own dogs, one might not react violently and the other could be taken out of commission with one swift kick. Don't think that people who are set to rob/detain/rape/torture/kill you aren't above stomping a dog out, if not outright killing it.

It may deter the guy who wants to sneak in and steal things... but the violent attackers who are prepared for forced entry and violent confrontation are not as easily deterred.

I'm trying to set up my system of home defense, and besides making it harder to break in, I'm wanting to have a firearm readily accessible from basically every area of my home that every adult in my family can access no matter where they are at home if someone were to break in. I know it sounds a little paranoid to have a pistol in every room of the home, but that's basically what I'm going for. I taught my wife and other family members to shoot safely, but they're not into firearms, and won't carry one, esp at home.

I need it to be reliable, easy to operate, and inexpensive enough that I can mount one in a fingerprint/pin pistol safe in a discreet location in each living room, kitchen, and possibly one bathroom. We don't have a huge home, 3bd, 2 bath (1 in master bd), kitchen and two living areas. I'm thinking I need 6, one in each living room, one in the common bath, one in kitchen, and one in 2 bdrms, as I have my safe in my master bd and master bath shouldn't need one. Wanting to go with all the same model so its all the same manual of arms, and I just need to train my family on how to operate one specific pistol.

Going with a M&P9, G19 etc would end up costing too much even if I were to go used. I'm seeing a lot of the EAA witness or model pistols on the CDNN email list and have read reviews of those being good reliable guns for the money, with some going for as low as $250-280. Any other recommendations? Maybe I can get a bulk discount? :D

New prodution ZASTAVA M88 OR M70 IN 9MM LUGER they can be had for 200 to 275 , all steel tokarov . They come with 2 mags . For the house i would choose the m70 it is the same as the m57 but chambered in 9mm..And feel like a 1911. . There are finally aftermarket grips now that feel more modern .good solid guns

I know most guys on here are turning their noses at me for wanting an affordable set of home guns. I understand, I carry an HK usp compact 9 as my winter carry (with another one brand new in box as a redundancy in case my main one has any issues) and love nice guns, but it wouldn't make sense to buy 6 usp's to store this way.

My thinking is 6 affordable pistols, and I would personally put ~300rds of break in ammo, plus 50rds of Critical Defense (my preferred defense Ammo) through each one before trusting it.

.20/rd x 300 = $60 + $50 (CD is ~$1/rd) = $110 x 6 pistols = $660

If I decide on a $300 otd gun x 6 = $1800

Push button code (don't like fingerprint ones anymore) pistol safes to mount $100 X 6= $600

So I'm looking at $3060, this isn't chump change by any means. It would be like $7-8k if I decided to run USP's x 6 and break them in. This is the total math I'm working with. Was really wanting to stay below $3k, and these guns will most likely sit as it's statistically very unlikely they'll need to be used but I'm willlng to throw $3k at that unlikely possibility to round out my home system.

Last Edited:
I know most guys on here are turning their noses at me for wanting an affordable set of home guns. I understand, I carry an HK usp compact 9 as my winter carry (with another one brand new in box as a redundancy in case my main one has any issues) and love nice guns, but it wouldn't make sense to buy 6 usp's to store this way.

My thinking is 6 affordable pistols, and I would personally put ~300rds of break in ammo, plus 50rds of Critical Defense (my preferred defense Ammo) through each one before trusting it.

Push button code (don't like fingerprint ones anymore) pistol safes to mount $100 X 6= $600

So I'm looking at $3060, this isn't chump change by any means. It would be like $7-8k if I decided to run USP's x 6 and break them in. This is the total math I'm working with. Was really wanting to stay below $3k, and these guns will most likely sit as it's statistically very unlikely they'll need to be used but I'm willlng to throw $3k at that unlikely possibility to round out my home system.

Sounds very reasonable to me, provided your intended end users will do the break in.

If they will, then outstanding on ya!

If they won't, what's the point, other than a thought exercise?

Just a thought...

With all the negativity about gun owners with lots of guns, why are we putting down people on our own forum that want a gun in every room?

One of the core members that past a few years ago advocated and did this very thing and no one said a word about it.

I don't carry 100% of the time while home but I put a couple in different regular places when i am at home and lock them back up when I leave.

If it's not for you then why take the time to criticize someone else's choices?

Not only that, but not all of us wear something at home that works with carrying a gun. My casual wear won't support a gun, and I'm not going to throw a belt on over it. I also prefer to have a few guns in secure but accessible spaces so I can get to them easily and quickly if needed.

This is my usual wear when I'm at home:

73f62ca51a9469f353ed1ad6cc5247b1.jpg

For those that have met me, let that sink in and swim around your brain pan for a while :p

Thanks for your input, I do carry all the time, but am away at work 6 days a week almost 12+ hrs each day.

I did mention securing each one in a pistol fingerprint/pin safe hidden in each location

I do like the Canik's, will take a look at those.

Mainly wanting to hear the group's experience with less expensive pistols and if they've been reliable for them. Reliability is paramount but that doesn't mean I need to spend $1k on each one to get it.

In my personal experience, Kel-Tec, have 2 handguns now of theirs, at one time had 4. All worked out of the box. These do NOT work for everyone though. In 9mm they are too much for some. The Ruger P-Series are made like a tank and just work. Have not tried one of the new Security Line but hear great things for a pistol that runs $300 new. The Canik same, have not shot one but they get great reviews. All new guns should work. You of course would need to test any new gun. Even if I paid 1K for one I would not trust it until I shot it. If one has problems normally they are easy to fix. If you go with 9mm buy a case of ammo to play with and test them. Buying it on line you can get a case cheap enough to not break the budget. SG Ammo is a great place to look.

Get no flack from me. I currently have guns made by Ruger and Kel-Tec that I would and do bet my life on. Have had Several from Taurus that were the same. Have a Bersa I love and have no worries about. What others think? Who cares. Do what works for you. I still have a few of the old lock boxes from when we had kids. Still mounted a couple in case someone comes over with little ones. I do prefer the old school simplex button type. These are actually more expensive these days that many of the electronic ones but I would buy them again. Just "feel" better with the plain mechanical locks. It's another to each his own. Keeping a gun hidden is dead simple in most homes. There are certain places a smash and grab guy looks for stuff. They are in a hurry. Put guns in places they are not going to be interested in but you know they are there. Few people who break in have time to go room to room turning over everything. Most are dope heads looking for stuff to grab fast to turn into cash.

Me too. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. No offense.

I'm curious what type of accident are you thinking of?

No sarcasm, just interested to know what comes to mind.

The reason I ask is that I have a few loaded guns in the house and I've never had any more problems with them then the handful of knives I leave laying around.

The reason I ask is that I have a few loaded guns in the house and I've never had any more problems with them then the handful of knives I leave laying around.

Your wife and daughter are interested in their own safety, from what I've gleaned from the thread, the OP is interested in his wife & MOL's safety. But the wife and MOL aren't, so much.

...I wouldn't go so far as an accident waiting to happen, more just what I'm getting from the thread. So am advising accordingly.

I would not worry at all either. No one living here does not know how to handle a gun. If I had people living with me I did not trust to be able to do so I would of course keep them locked up.

The family doesnt seem interested. They are less likely to take training seriously. Like someone else said, it could make a bad situation even worse if a perp got their hands on a weapon in the home. All it would take is one of them not commiting to pull the trigger when necessary. A bad guy will most likely get the upper hand in a bad situation like that. A really scared paranoid untrained individual is also more likely to shoot an innocent as well.

I'd consider getting something like the Kahr CM40 if I was going to do what you're talking about.

I've got a couple Kahrs and they've all run flawlessly with anything I've fed them.

The Kahrs in .40 can be had for a song, especially considering their quality. You can get into them NIB for under $250 after the background check. Nice trigger for a plastic gun.

I understand if you don't agree with my philosophy of use. The main reason I'm so invested in home security is because we have a newborn, and both my wife and I work long hours far away from home. MIL and baby are home alone for 10-12hrs 6 days a week. Both women know how to operate and fire pistols, its nothing new to them, but they're just not into them as a hobby is what I'm trying to relay.

This set I'm looking to acquire don't need to have amazing ergos, MOA accuracy etc. It just needs to go bang every time, and be accurate enough to hit a person sized target within 10yds max, and easy enough to operate to clear malfunctions (hence why we like our Shield EZ so much). Starting to consider revolvers as well due to the last point.

Anyway back on topic, just saw this online, I've heard these SD9's are good reliability wise, trigger feel not so much.

ScreenHunter_1497 Apr. 22 10.57.jpg

Last Edited:
I understand if you don't agree with my philosophy of use. The main reason I'm so invested in home security is because we have a newborn, and both my wife and I work long hours far away from home. MIL and baby are home alone for 10-12hrs 6 days a week. Both women know how to operate and fire pistols, its nothing new to them, but they're just not into them as a hobby is what I'm trying to relay.

This set I'm looking to acquire don't need to have amazing ergos, MOA accuracy etc. It just needs to go bang every time, and be accurate enough to hit a person sized target within 10yds max, and easy enough to operate to clear malfunctions (hence why we like our Shield EZ so much). Starting to consider revolvers as well due to the last point.

Anyway back on topic, just saw this online, I've heard these SV9's are good reliability wise, trigger feel not so much.

View attachment 452962

I've owned one - my only complaint was the grip was slippery if your hands were the least bit wet (sweaty), and the gun could move in your hand when you shoot. If you choose that route, you may want to add some grip type tape to help increase the purchase on the grip. Other than that, the SD was a solid, reliable pistol. There is a kit from Apex, I recall, that helps with the trigger, and no too spendy either.

Anyway back on topic, just saw this online, I've heard these SV9's are good reliability wise, trigger feel not so much.

View attachment 452962

The SD9VE is a reliable gun. Trigger is lousy, but it does the job. I think it's a much better option than some of the others out there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top