JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to have a SKS in my truck, but I've switched to a Mosin M44. The SKS is a Russian with a folding stock and I kinda like that gun and I don't want to lose it.
Heck, since I sold my M44 I've lusted after them ever since. Seems like they doubled/tripled in price in only a few years. Id be nervous about keeping an M44 in there! Heck, even a type 53 since those have risen in price as well.. I keep my bid of an inexpensive NEF pardner pump or H&R (also owned by Remington) break action single shot rifle/shotgun and a hipoint :)

Interesting thread. Subject has fluttered through my conscious thoughts from time-to-time and a couple significant things keep coming up. First, more firearms are stolen from motor vehicles than any other place. Thinking, keeping a firearm in a vehicle is not a great idea unless there is some overwhelming need. So, why would I (or anyone else) need to keep a firearm in the vehicle? Well, obviously firepower, but for what? I could see a need if someone needed help; a police officer was gunned down in a supermarket parking lot when I was in skool. Don't know if I could have (or would have) made a difference if I had been there, but I'd like to think I might have. A long gun, preferable rifle, would have been a great tool to have. Seeing as I don't have the extra money laying around to throw an expensive rifle in the trunk, a more inexpensive option would be needed. Thinking whatever firearm would fit this perceived need would have to be easily secured. Couple guys already mentioned the M44 carbine. I think thats just about perfect. A quality rifle that even at today's astronomical prices can still be had for under $300. Removing the bolt renders the rifle unable to fire; the bolt can be kept in a separate location (be that inside the vehicle or moved to a different location altogether). With the bolt removed a cable that is secured to the vehicle can be run through the rear receiver bridge and a lock used to secure the carbine to the vehicle. Just thinking of what might work.

The great thing about America is that I don't need a reason why you or I or anyone NEED's to have a gun in their car(it's to protect yourself and stay alive). I simply want one there and BAM! it magically appears there. It's awesome. It's called the 2nd Amendment and folks should read it plainly for what it is. It is a concealed carry license, a truck/car carry license and a license to have one in your home. All right there in the good ol' 2A. Thank God for our Forefathers that considered what the trash in this world would try to brainwash us into.

You don't have to jump through illegal hoops to defend yourself. The law was written by those that made this country great, not those that want so badly to dismantle it. I will not ask for my rights or beg for them. They are mine to do as I see fit and anyone that doesn't like it can take a flying bubblegum at a rolling doughnut(RIP Kirk Vonnegut).

My biggest problem with the idea of a truck/trunk gun is that I can't bring myself to put any of the firearms I currently own through that sort of beating (and yes even in a foam lined case there will be wear damage from the vibrations.

I personally would like to be able to carry either a 20" 8rd 20ga pump or an M1 carbine (most likely a Universal) both are short compact weapons that can bring a lot of firepower to bear. (M1 carbine with handloaded 125gr Sierra HPFP tips is as effective as a 357Mag from a long barrel). The 20ga with 0000 buck or slugs or both can make a lot of lead go down range in a hurry. (Ammo is more compact and lighter weight per round then 12ga)

I could also see a Lever action carbine in 357-44MAG

I would look at this application as a get home gun rather then for self defense.

A secured storage box in the back seat of my extra cab Dakota would work nicely.

I carry, so no truck gun. If I did, I'd probably throw a Mosin 38 or 44 in the back. Good size, serious round, reasonable price and I can hit Arkansas from here.

Pretty much just what I am doing.

This thread has me thinking of putting in the 12ga Pardner Pump or an M44 in a secure spot in the vehicle though.

I usually throw in my Beretta Cx4 and my 92 into the hard case and in the truck when I take any extended trips. I always have at least one pistol on me at all times, and this suffices around town. But, if I'm ever more than five miles from the armory (home) I like to have long gun options. Sometimes it's an ar, sometimes it's a lever pistol cal carbine, sometimes a shotgun. I like to change it up, why, because I can! :cool:

I usually throw in my Beretta Cx4 and my 92 into the hard case and in the truck when I take any extended trips. I always have at least one pistol on me at all times, and this suffices around town. But, if I'm ever more than five miles from the armory (home) I like to have long gun options. Sometimes it's an ar, sometimes it's a lever pistol cal carbine, sometimes a shotgun. I like to change it up, why, because I can! :cool:

Nice to have options!

I do the same exact thing. Ill switch up platforms for a number of reasons.. But most of all its nice to have options. I need to get my AKM back into the routine.
As of late its been all shotgun. I think its a blast carrying different platforms because it gets you used to the length and weight of a whole slew of different weapons especially carrying and transporting them in a vehicle... Something a lot of folks seem to think they'll just immediately be successful with when bugging out.. But thats not always the case.

I do the same exact thing. Ill switch up platforms for a number of reasons.. But most of all its nice to have options. I need to get my AKM back into the routine.
As of late its been all shotgun. I think its a blast carrying different platforms because it gets you used to the length and weight of a whole slew of different weapons especially carrying and transporting them in a vehicle... Something a lot of folks seem to think they'll just immediately be successful with when bugging out.. But thats not always the case.

I drove to Spokane last weekend and had a Kahr MK40 in my pocket, a Sig .40 in the console and a Kriss Super V in the back. Ready for the zombie horde.

Part of my "Get Home" kit

AA85F096-1ADC-4C77-AA4F-AE28E793BFB0-3534-00000436931BAAC7_zps666838e4.jpg

2EF0A442-9DE9-4AA8-9B03-02FDB174B2A5-3534-00000436A033BD73_zpsc6e95824.jpg

So I've spent the last few days thinking about trunk guns (I.E., handgun or longgun, cased and kept in the trunk of one's vehicle, as per Oregon law). Do any forum members here have a trunk gun they prefer?

What do you mean "as per Oregon law"? Unlicensed OC is legal everywhere in Oregon ORS 166.250(3). Those few places that restrict unlicensed LOADED carry (per ORS 166.173, exemptions in ORS 166.173(2)) still can not tell you must put your weapon in your trunk. What good does it do you there?

As has been brought up, a vehicle is a prime opportunity to have the weapon stolen, in the trunk or not. The only time I have a cased RIFLE in my trunk (or under the back seat in the Pickup) is when I am going hunting, and then it is NEVER left there. When the truck is empty of people, it is also empty of firearms, of any kind. Leaving a firearm in a vehicle is just asking for it to be stolen... My two cents.

I would only take a long gun in a vehicle if I were active away from town. Ranch rifle, hunting, or traveling through sparsely populated areas.

I live in Wilsonville/Tualatin, and work in Vancouver. Even with my commute, I could walk from one end to the other before I needed to hunt, or before any social/economic/political upheaval could push people to the point where a long gun became a necessary upgrade from a handgun. People are too Condition White and too interested in living to get to the point where they would willingly press on a man with a pistol pointed at their faces in the span of 24 hours.

I do respect the possibility of explosive riots or other events I would classify as 'flash violence', so my ccw is a service pistol. I don't do subcompacts. If I have to shoot to live, I'll be holding a pistol I can work with.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top