JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd go just a tad bigger and get a .270 Winchester. Ammo (if you don't reload) is likely easier to come by. With 120's in the 25 and 130's in the 270 trajectory wise they're within a couple tenths of an inch when zero'd at 200 yards, and the 270 packs more energy. The only place I see the 25-06 beating the 270 is that it has a bit less wind drift but even then they're within an inch of each other at 300 yards.

This is what makes America the best country in the world. Choices, lots of choices of lots of things. I sold my Savage 110 in .270 and that left the hole I'm filling with the 25-06. I could have just gotten another 270, making it my 3rd but what's the fun in that? I started this process looking for a Savage 99 in 250-3000 but I wanted one with the stock tang sight and that hadn't been drilled for a scope. I wasn't finding them in the condition or price point I wanted.That lead to the broading of my search criteria starting with a defining of my perseved uses for said gun. The definition I came up with is a Western Oregon Deer rifle that would hunt in the rain and get knocked around in the truck. I wanted it to be flat shooting enough for across the clear cut shooting and easy to carry in the brush. I did consider the 308 based cartridges lots of choices out there in 6, 6.5, 6.8, 7 and 7.62 mm's. In fact I was looking for a Savage Axis II in .308 when I found the same rifle in 25-06. Hmmm I said to myself, I've never had one of those so maybe I should and find out what it's all about. Midway had the left handed rifle listed for $100.00 off MSRP with$9.00 shipping to my FFL. So with the impending whatever is going on with the gun laws these days I decided to pull the trigger so to speak and get it. I know the Axis II is kind of a low end gun but they shoot good. My son has one in 7 Mag and has gotten a Deer with it 3 years in a row. I've had one in 30-06 and it was a good shooter as well. I've got a scope to put on it and Bi Mart had 117gr Hornady ammo on the shelf. I bought 2 boxes. One for zeroing the scope at 200 yds and the other to have as needed. Bottom line, for about 500 bucks I should have a servicable rifle ready to hunt.

I think your going to find a new personal favorite with the 25-06. Youve had 2 other 270s which is similar in use but I virtually never hear of anyone selling their 25s...

I'd made the comment in an earlier post that the 25-06 wasn't a city folks caliber. I found this to be true when I was able to find 2 boxes of ammo at my local Bi-Mart but when I went to Calbelas looking for reloading componates there was no brass or 25 caliber projectiles. Looking for ammo there was a bust as well. Lots and lots of .223, 300 blackout and 6.5's but nothing in any of the 25 calibers.

Now days if you run across components you need to reload for, buy them. Everything seems scarce and exspensive to me. The 25-06 is no different

It appears brass is obtainable, but not cheap.

Midway has Prvi Partizan brass for $39.99/50 cases. I have zero experience with that brand though.

It appears brass is obtainable, but not cheap.

Midway has Prvi Partizan brass for $39.99/50 cases. I have zero experience with that brand though.
I did buy 100 of those and 200 of the Hornady 117gr RN's when I bought the gun plus the 40 rounds of factory ammo I got at Bi-Mart. I've also got a couple Lbs of Retumbo and LRM primers so I'm good for now with not even having the rifle yet. I was looking at my powder stash and saw I had a couple Lb's of W-760 so thought I might load some of the lighter bullets like the Speer TNT's or other varmint bullets to use up that powder. That's what lead me to the "big" store.

I did buy 100 of those and 200 of the Hornady 117gr RN's when I bought the gun plus the 40 rounds of factory ammo I got at Bi-Mart. I've also got a couple Lbs of Retumbo and LRM primers so I'm good for now with not even having the rifle yet. I was looking at my powder stash and saw I had a couple Lb's of W-760 so thought I might load some of the lighter bullets like the Speer TNT's or other varmint bullets to use up that powder. That's what lead me to the "big" store.
I've had pretty good luck with H4831SC and 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter spitzers, which of course Sierra has now discontinued. Fortunately, I was able to hoard up a few hundred bullets before they disappeared. The other load I liked was an 87 grain Speer Hot Cor bullet using H4895 based on a recommended load for reduced recoil I saw in Guns & Ammo magazine. My son is 25 now and around 200 pounds, so he doesn't need those anymore. :D

I bought a box of Hornady 100 grain Interlocks years ago, but don't think I ever got around to trying to work up a load with them.

I've had pretty good luck with H4831SC and 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter spitzers, which of course Sierra has now discontinued. Fortunately, I was able to hoard up a few hundred bullets before they disappeared. The other load I liked was an 87 grain Speer Hot Cor bullet using H4895 based on a recommended load for reduced recoil I saw in Guns & Ammo magazine. My son is 25 now and around 200 pounds, so he doesn't need those anymore. :D

I bought a box of Hornady 100 grain Interlocks years ago, but don't think I ever got around to trying to work up a load with them.
I just ordered some 87gr Speer TNT's direct from Speer. Those ought to be yee haw fun and all I need for now.

My varmint load is 75 gr Hornaday v-max over 52 gr's of IMR4350.

I just ordered some of Hornaday's 110 gr ELD-X bullets and can't wait to see how they do. Might be my new deer load with a BC of .465

On a side note, I have reloaded Prvi Partizan brass and so far have not had any issues with it. I've also loaded them in 7.7x58 Jap as well.

Mike, let me know if you like those Hornady 117 RN bullets and need more. I have a bunch of 25-06 components, probably more than I'll ever need, including several unopened boxes of those Hornady bullets.

Mike, let me know if you like those Hornady 117 RN bullets and need more. I have a bunch of 25-06 components, probably more than I'll ever need, including several unopened boxes of those Hornady bullets.
Next time you are down this way bring whatever brass and bullets you want to get rid of and I'll let you go shopping in the stash of stashes for an equitable trade.

In the continuing saga of my rifle I can't get order scope bases/rings until I get the gun in my hot little hands because some axis II receivers are drilled and tapped with 6X48 holes and others have 8x40 holes. Just like Roseanne Roseannadanna says "It's always something"

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews