JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've spent the last few days thinking about trunk guns (I.E., handgun or longgun, cased and kept in the trunk of one's vehicle, as per Oregon law). Do any forum members here have a trunk gun they prefer?

I keep a single shot shotgun under the back seat of my pickup. My 12GA shoots up to 3 1/2", so it'll stop pert near anything around. I can also put weak loads in it for rabbits, squirrels, and small birds if I want. And they are cheap and durable.

You can keep a long gun or a handgun in passenger area, loaded without a case. A handgun can't be concealed unless you're exempted. You can carry one in the open or in a belt holster (unless local regulations restrict loaded carry). Look at ORS 166.250.

For a trunk gun, I'd keep an affordable 12 gauge. Versatile and easy to find one cheap. Handgun is with me and not in the trunk.

Yeah, I keep an H&R 870 knockoff (got her cheap) with a pistol grip. The gun shoots every time, so no complaints there.

+1 for the NEF pardner pump. I keep one in mine and take it out at night.
I also keep my DC in the front.
The pardner pumps are awesome for a truck gun.
If the SKSs and M44/type 53s (even a 91/30 if you had a bug truck or van) were as cheap and common as they were 8-10 years ago id suggest one of those.

If you have to have a semi auto id suggest a marlin 795 or a rem 7400 (can be had cheap at pawn shops!)

The semi auto Remington's are an underrated platform. While not super accurate they'll get the job done, not to mention they have aftermarket 8-10rnd mags making the 7400 a great DMR for a trunk gun.

+1 for the NEF pardner pump. I keep one in mine and take it out at night.
I also keep my DC in the front.
The pardner pumps are awesome for a truck gun.
If the SKSs and M44/type 53s (even a 91/30 if you had a bug truck or van) were as cheap and common as they were 8-10 years ago id suggest one of those.

If you have to have a semi auto id suggest a marlin 795 or a rem 7400 (can be had cheap at pawn shops!)

The semi auto Remington's are an underrated platform. While not super accurate they'll get the job done, not to mention they have aftermarket 8-10rnd mags making the 7400 a great DMR for a trunk gun.

Thanx for the input ZA, because I'm pretty sure I bought my NEF from you three or so years ago :cool:

I used to keep a cheap handgun in a safe under the passenger seat, but it rarely left the safe. I carry daily and so the necessity of a truck gun was really just a backup I guess. Then my rig got broken into and the safe got pried out with some heavy tools during the theft. While I never really cared about the gun, the damage to my vehicle and the thought that some crackhead is running around armed just pisses me off. I'd definitely consider your actual needs and motivations while considering moving forward with a truck gun.

I carry, so no truck gun. If I did, I'd probably throw a Mosin 38 or 44 in the back. Good size, serious round, reasonable price and I can hit Arkansas from here.

I carry, so no truck gun. If I did, I'd probably throw a Mosin 38 or 44 in the back. Good size, serious round, reasonable price and I can hit Arkansas from here.

IMO, it really depends on where you are and what you're shooting at. I like your choice. Beats a 30-30.

I kept a rifle in the gun rack for varmints where I grew up.

I second the AK with a folding stock. Also I think it would be really cool to have an AR or AK pistol... specially if you have a CHL. That way if a cop tries to flip you crap, you are totally legal and he or she can go kick rocks lol.

It could be a long way to the trunk.
The overhead rack by Big Sky is similar to the police model, but with velcro not locks.

Has risk of theft but most any long guns are only a couple of seconds away.

1 or 2 gun models, prefer the 870/ AR combo:

Big Sky Racks Overhead Gun Rack : Cabela's

s7_220670_999_01.jpg

briefcase is to thick to go under the seat.:s0155:

I carry it handcuffed to me at all times :)

I don't carry it in my truck - just bragging that I have it ;)

My truck gun is a Sig .40 in the console. It's in a carry rig so I can slap it on if I don't have my normal carry piece with me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top