JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a .223 bolt gun and a 300 win mag so thought I might fill in the gap between the 2 with a 25-06. I'm thinking of a Savage Axis II for Western Oregon Deer hunting. I have a old weaver 4X scope with a German Reticle that needs a home and think this would be a good place for it. I know the 25-06 is billed as an open country caliber but with the short 22" barrel and the fact that I have the 300 Winny for that I'm thinking of loading the Hornady 117gr RN's and keeping my shots to under 300 Yds. So what say you all?

My three go to deer rifle cartridges are 30-30, 7X57, and 25-06. Been hunting those for 50 years and don't feel a need for any others. That said, I presently own a Savage Axis in 25-06. It is one of the very early Axis releases in SS and was very inexpensive new... I believe just under $300. I liked that it had five round flush fit detachable magazines, butt pad and tang safety. My intentions for it were to use it on an ATV and bounce it around a bunch, subject it to lots of dust, mud, and leaning against a tree at camp. For that purpose it performed admirably and has killed a fair amount of deer. It is my 300 yard gun, although I have ventured farther with it. It has a 22" barrel, synthetic stock, and with a Louie 3x9 I had laying around it weighs right at 6 pounds. Very light. When purchased it did not have the Savage accutrigger and the non-adjustable trigger pull was a bit heavy and grating for me so I immediately installed a rifle basics two-stage trigger ($65). So I have less than $500 into the Axis, it shoots very well, and I ended up selling a couple other 25-06 rifles I just don't use. My only other is a Remington Sendero, stainless with 26" fluted barrel, HS Precison stock, and a 5X20 Louie which I shoot open country... everything from prairie dogs and coyotes to deer and antelope.
I load the Hornady 117 grn. bullets, as well as Speer 120 grn. SP. The Speer 87 grn. HP are spectacular on prairie dogs and sure to put a dawg right down... just don't plan on selling the pelt.

Last Edited:
I too am a huge fan of the 25-06. Like Legs I also have an early Savage Axis but this one does have the accu-trigger and also has the 22 inch barrel. I have dropped many a coyote with it out to 400+ yards. It was also my go to deer rifle for many years. I just bought a brand new Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 and topped it with a new Leupold VX-5 HD 3-14. This will be my new deer and elk gun.

If you reload like I do, there are some really good/proven loads for the 25-06 that make it a joy to shoot. That's my 2c.

I've always been a fan of the .25-06. Killed my first buck at 12 years old with my Dad's .25-06 built on a Mauser action. Dad's long gone, but I've still got the rifle. I also have a Remington 700 Classic in that caliber. That's pretty much my "go to" rifle for anything deer and smaller. I've got other options in smaller calibers for coyotes and such, but that .25-06 somehow finds its way venturing out of the safe more often than the others. It filled the only antelope tag I've ever drawn (with 19 points, I should be drawing again soon), and many buck tags. 300 yards is very doable.

Both of my .25-06s like Sierra 117 grain spitzers. I've also used 87 grain spitzers when my son was little, based on a reduced recoil recipe I found in Guns and Ammo magazine. At 12, he killed a nice 5 point Roosevelt after practicing with those 87 grain loads. He couldn't tell in the least that his dad had filled the magazine with 117 grain bullets when it was showtime. Due to lung cancer, my dad never saw another elk season, but he saw that one. He was one proud grandpa.

Tally makes good scope ring/mounts, but since I run mostly Leupold Scopes I only use Leupold scope mounts/rings (now). Come to think of it, my Rem 700 in .223 has Tally rings and they work just fine.

I bought a Remington 700 25-06 when I was in Alaska back in 1981. There wasn't much of a choice for scopes up there, so a Bushnell Scopechief 2.5-8 was the best I could get.

Took 2 caribou, each out past 300 yards with, a few deer and some coyotes after I got back home.

Used 115gr, 117gr, and found some 120gr as well. All very flat shooting and accurate.

I'm now messing around with a 257 Roberts. Not as flat shooting as the 25-06, but still easily a 300 yard round.

I have a .223 bolt gun and a 300 win mag so thought I might fill in the gap between the 2 with a 25-06. I'm thinking of a Savage Axis II for Western Oregon Deer hunting. I have a old weaver 4X scope with a German Reticle that needs a home and think this would be a good place for it. I know the 25-06 is billed as an open country caliber but with the short 22" barrel and the fact that I have the 300 Winny for that I'm thinking of loading the Hornady 117gr RN's and keeping my shots to under 300 Yds. So what say you all?
Ive hunted with a 25-06 for over 30 years here and its really all you need. For you I agree it would be the perfect fit in between your other rifles. For a dedicated deer rifle east or western Oregon it cant be beat, and no need to stay under 300yds especially if your handloading for it.

Another 25-06 fan here, going back 30 years. I have an older Rem 700, very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I haven't hunted in 25 years and never shot anything with it, but I did loan it to two different friends way back when, and each of them dropped a dear with it.

I have had a 25-06 based on a fn Supreme mauser action. Think basically a jc higgins model 50 rebarrel plus accurized the action. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have. I do not think 25-06 is as popular as it once was. With 117g hornady interlocks it shoots 1/2 moa. I am the week point and know if my groups aren't grouping it's me. I think it is a great deer and antelope round.

I like the quarter bores so much I traded into a 1903-a3 that when my current rifle project is done will be converted to 257 roberts.

I have nothing to say about the chambering, however I will suggest a savage 110 over an axis II. I've owned both and the axis just feels cheap by comparison and I imagine that's because it's built to a price point. I'm a little biased towards the 10/110 series though as I own 5 of them and thoroughly enjoy 'em.

I thought about one of the latest and greatest 6. whatever Gee-Wizz but decided on the 100 year old tried and true. I figure if I'm away from the Valley and big cities I'll have better luck finding a dusty old box of 25-06 over whatever is the latest greatest.

I do not remember ever buying a box of commercial 25-06 ammo. If I don't have 25'06 brass I use 270 win. I have had no problems finding components so far.

I thought about one of the latest and greatest 6. whatever Gee-Wizz but decided on the 100 year old tried and true. I figure if I'm away from the Valley and big cities I'll have better luck finding a dusty old box of 25-06 over whatever is the latest greatest.
People cite that scenario all of the time.
You're a reloader, that's never going to come across your radar screen.
Therefore, it's 25 Creedmoor for the win !
(.257 Roberts if you're not chasing 1/3 MOA)
And flagship action if the budget allows.

:)

Last Edited:
If you like recoil and almost unattainable ammo then get a .257 Weatherby mag, but yet is a .257 Roberts AI.
What is it about the .257 Weatherby Magnum? I had one of those and swear I got twice the recoil over a .25-06, for not that much gain in velocity, and less accuracy. I kinda liked the rifle but sold it anyway.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews