JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When my wife was diagnosed with cancer we decided to leave our rural home and move in with friends in the city. I brought a Glock 26 and a snubby with me. No long guns . Had no storage and couldn't be leaving an AK in friends' closet. We were bugging out, after all.
I've sold some guns and put an RMR on the G26, along with suppressor sights. If I needed to hoof that's what I ' d pack. Gives me a high rate of fire . Light weight, extended accuracy, takes all Glock 9mm mags.
I like long runs but they are all heavy and conspicuous. If I'm hoofing it then my goal is to hoof it, not fight off the Red Army with my Mosin.

Many jihadist agree, never leave home without one.

View attachment 161325

On a real note, that plumbing company is from my home town in Texas City, TX. Funny where trucks that get stolen end up at huh?

I keep an older 870 in the truck behind the seats or locked in my tool box in the bed. If it gets stolen I'd probably be more pissed about the damage they did getting into my truck than the shotgun itself.

how about this? truck gun.jpg

This is my adventure gun. Why? Because I am a guy and I've done more than a few stupid things in my life. It goes in the trunk when there is the possibility of something stupid happening.
It has without a doubt paid for its self.
trunkgun2_zpsa072652e.jpg

trunkgun4_zpsdc6ebeba.jpg

trunkgun3_zpsdf09aa2a.jpg
Since the photos I've wrapped the strap with paracord, added water treatment and I am upgrading the flashlight. I would still like a few flares.

Last Edited:
This is my adventure gun. Why? Because I am a guy and I've done more than a few stupid things in my life. It goes in the trunk when there is the possibility of something stupid happening.
View attachment 211908

View attachment 211909

View attachment 211910
Since the photos I've wrapped the strap with paracord, added water treatment and I am upgrading the flashlight. I would still like a few flares.

Very interesting... I never thought to set up a gun as a single grab item but it sure makes sense in a truck gun.

I may have to rethink my bolt action sawed off project.

View attachment 211908

View attachment 211909

View attachment 211910

There are some very clever ideas wrapped up in your kit. I particularly like the fanny pack/sling notion! I travel with much the same gear, but I prefer a repeating rifle. Great post, Tech!

The initial inspiration was a Dave Canturbary YouTube video
Then I thought about what I needed in a utility tool.
A flashlight and a knife.
Multiple ways to start a fire
Supplies to make it through the night
Compass and a whistle
Lots of different 12ga loads
9mm because I don't carry a 22
The fanny pack has worked very well, it carries nicely and is very fast to shoulder. You just give it a swing and the weight wraps it around your elbow and locks it in securely.
The single shot vs pump decision is yours but the single shot allows the use of the 9 mm adapter and almost anything else I want to stuff into it. It is simple and almost indestructible.

I've thought about keeping a long gun in my SUV, and am looking at ways to conceal a lockbox, or have hidden compartment somewhere.

My big fear, and reason for wanting a semi permanent location in my rig, is based my 32 mile commute from Vancouver to Hillsboro. Not that I'm worried about some big crime spree happening, but I am concerned about having to cross multiple bridges just to get home. If there was a large earthquake that could compromise a bridge, or even an ISIS wannabe that decided to try and plant a bomb, it would shut down the entire town. I could see if a bomb went off on a bridge support, even if it didn't really cause any damage, that bridge would be shut down for some time while it was investigated for the criminal act as well as for the safety of the bridge. And you know they would shut down the other bridges to check if there were any devices on them. That may take a couple days.
With the massive amount of reliance on those bridges, I wonder how long people will remain civil. The bridge in Longview and the Bridge of the Gods would be the only 2 ways to cross the Columbia. Who knows if something in PDX would cause them to shut those down too for how ever long. That would add to the civil anxiety.

So yes, I do think about a long gun in my rig. If there was a credible terror threat/alert in PDX, I'd probably just throw a gunbag and ammo in, just in case.

So if I have a CHL can I then have a rifle or shotgun in my vehicle that is loaded but not chambered? That is the question I canno seem to get a straight answer too.
Yes you can. It can be loaded and chambered. Except for the few pinko dominated areas of the state that restrict open carry, even without a concealed permit you can ope carry, loaded and chambered. The ORS does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded when enforcing the mostly unconstitutional statute regarding unlawful possession of a firearm ORS 166.250. I do a 60 mile round trip commute on a very rural road for work. I also refuse to get my concealed carry permit. I usually have a loaded pistol on the passenger seat in plain view and am breaking no laws in the process.

I kept a ruger 10-22 in my trunk for years, I paid $50 for it. I spray painted it camo just to keep it from rusting, it wears a simmons 3-9 scope also painted. She's ugly but she shoots, recently it started going through some upgrades, 16" custom barrell, folding stock and bx25 magazines, and back in the trunk it goes, with a fresh coat of krylon. And this gun has done some killing in its days of living in my trunk. A cow with a prolapsed uterus, several deer that had been hit by cars, a wounded pitbull and more I'm sure i have forgotten. And thats why I keep a gun in my vehicle all of the time.

I picked up a $99 (including delivery) Mosin M44 carbine and made it into a scout rifle. Dura coated it and tossed it in the back of the Jeep. If I run out of ammo I have the bayonet and its also a club.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews