JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you do with the stuff you can’t bring with you?

• Total voters
My knees are bad and I don't like running, I'll hole up in my home.

I could remove the firing pins and lock what I'm not using in my safe. Keeping a few trustworthy pieces around the home for SD.

If things are that bad, I'd just leave the rest in the safe. At that point I probably have more things to worry about.

These mental exercises are kind of fun!

I have a tickling fear that I'd be face to face with a bad guy with my gun that I thought I left safely back at home.
Bad fear, first world problem. Answer below.

Chinese just invaded the shores and they are heading through the state right along your neighborhood. Or a gang has been gaining in numbers and ransacking one neighborhood at a time, they are headinneighborhood
Chinese? Guerilla warfare anyone?
Boobytrap everything, scorched earth end game.
Gangs? Where? I'm coming over!

If you had to slag everything, put a coffee can with 2 lbs of saltpeter/sugar mix into the center of the safe, and put 1lb bottles of slow powder in the corners around the safe. Stand a sparkler in the center of the coffee can, light it, then mostly close the door.
Do something similar for the house.

I checked "Other. Explain"

Explanation: At the first sign of danger I'll put all my guns and myself in a boat and shove off. In fact, I'm feeling pretty nervous right now. Oops! SPLASH!!!

I definitely like the idea of fighting, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd be willing to stay and fight if I knew it was an unfair fight. I might get a few, but they would ultimately win and just take it all anyways.

i understand
It is my hope to hit them hard enough to make them want to try easier pickings elsewhere. If they come back in force, I'll either be gone or a goner :s0092:

I won't be the easiest home on the block, but I cannot fend off more than a clumsy handful of perps. If the real deal shows up at my door, I may as well just shoot myself.

But I won't be there for headcount, breathing or not.

I won't be the easiest home on the block, but I cannot fend off more than a clumsy handful of perps. If the real deal shows up at my door, I may as well just shoot myself.

But I won't be there for headcount, breathing or not.
I figure I can handle any number of real deals. I'll just confront them stark nude except for the handgun. Should be able to pick 'em off in a leisurely fashion after they freeze in horror.

I have waaaaay too many guns to be spending that much time disabling if I need to get the heck out of Dodge right NOW. My firearms are specifically insured and most are replaceable

I have waaaaay too many guns to be spending that much time disabling if I need to get the heck out of Dodge right NOW. My firearms are specifically insured and most are replaceable
One of a kind irreplaceable stuff requires extraordinary measures . If I have to open the safe to get my great grandfathers woodsman, and I will if the house is burning down around me, and all the Yugo AK's with irreplaceable M76 grips everything's going.

PXL_20210716_235338101.jpg

Last Edited:
One of a kind irreplaceable stuff requires extraordinary measures . If I have to open the safe to get my great grandfathers woodsman, and I will if the house is burning down around me, and all the Yugo AK's with irreplaceable M76 grips everything's going.

View attachment 997653
Ooooooooo, I like that little one. I like it a lot... :s0116::s0116::s0116:

The Situation depends, an instant bug because the situation isn't tenable, there are 2 rifles and 2 hand guns and all the ammo for them that go, the rest can sit in the safe for all eternity! If I have a little time, I would only add one more rifle, but that's it! If I don't have to bug, them i'm going to sit in my pile and snipe till they ether figure out something different, go some place else, or gang up on me!

It's only stuff, your life is worth more. If I absolutely had to leave, I guess I would to save my life. If I had any spare time to do it, I guess I'd bury anything of value in the event I just might be able to return. There are probably places on or in your property where stuff could be concealed with a high probability of not being found by someone else.

It's only stuff, your life is worth more. If I absolutely had to leave, I guess I would to save my life. If I had any spare time to do it, I guess I'd bury anything of value in the event I just might be able to return. There are probably places on or in your property where stuff could be concealed with a high probability of not being found by someone else.
They wouldn't notice the freshly turned dirt? The unusual mound in the backyard or meadow? How fast could you gather your guns up, protectively wrap them, dig a big enough hole, then fill it and camouflage it? All that work, against the clock no less, would kill me faster than the goblins could. :s0114:

Lots of good food for thought here. As others have noted, I think the type of emergency will dictate my actions.

For natural disasters I'd pack my favorites but spend more time on saving heirlooms, important documents and valuables. Leave the rest of the guns locked in the safe and cross my fingers.

For assaults by gangs or thugs, I'd send the family packing and spend time coordinating with my three closest neighbors (all of which are heavily armed). The way our houses are situated, we could create a helluva kill zone.

For any type of army invasion I'd pack every firearm and bullet I could fit in the rigs and put some distance between the invaders and myself. I live on the river so I'd dump the rest of the guns off the end of the dock so they couldn't be used. Look for a safe zone or start my own version of the "Wolverines" :s0010:If things ever allowed me back, I'd bust out my big magnet and salvage what I could.

Last Edited:
Been through this a couple of times with forest fires within sight of our home. Threw everything in the back of the truck and drove away. No questions or debates about it. Thankfully returned home each time with the fires having passed by and left the home place smoky but not scorched. This more likely in our world than armies or gangs of marauders sweeping through. Good question OP. Thanks

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews