JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back during the summer months I read this article and stumbled across it again. It is photographs of Korean—Americans defending their business establishments during the 1992 Los Angeles riots which, naturally, was one of the most destructive civil disturbances in US history. Anyway, I thought others might find it interesting, so am passing it along: The Guns of the L.A. Riots.

Some of the interesting pictures:

Sihtdej.png
Colt Double Eagle and a Glock.

CgdcBLr.png
Supermarket employee returning fire with a M1911A1.

fWGRVOC.png
Over—under and cabbage.

emO4lrs.png
The unintentionally hilarious AP9.

iLsqcCZ.png
Last, but not least, the South Korean Daewoo K1.

Oh and ammo prices back then ....
JTGDTpv.png

Questions, one for fun, one for more realistic preparedness:

1. What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles? (Bare in mind most of the draconian, anti-2A BS laws in Californication weren't in place back then.)
  2. If you are an urban business owner or employee, what would it be now and why?
Thanks for sharing.

If you are an urban business owner or employee, what would it be now and why?

12 gauge 870 Wingmaster ( not express ) with a 18 - 20 inch barrel and Improved cylinder choke
Winchester 94 carbine in .30-30
AR15 Carbine in 5.56
Any would work fine for :
"Hey ! You need to go and riot someplace else..."

The first two on the list are both classy and practical...the last on the list is classy for some and practical for most.
Andy

That last picture is just....WOW!!!

In 1992, I was a child and oblivious to this situation.

I question, for anyone who remembers that time, the listed prices on the flyer, was that considered expensive then?

Back during the summer months I read this article and stumbled across it again. It is photographs of Korean—Americans defending their business establishments during the 1992 Los Angeles riots which, naturally, was one of the most destructive civil disturbances in US history. Anyway, I thought others might find it interesting, so am passing it along: The Guns of the L.A. Riots.

Some of the interesting pictures:

View attachment 779123
Colt Double Eagle and a Glock.

View attachment 779124
Supermarket employee returning fire with a M1911A1.

View attachment 779125
Over—under and cabbage.

View attachment 779126
The unintentionally hilarious AP9.

View attachment 779127
Last, but not least, the South Korean Daewoo K1.

Oh and ammo prices back then ....
View attachment 779128

Questions, one for fun, one for more realistic preparedness:

1. What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles? (Bare in mind most of the draconian, anti-2A BS laws in Californication weren't in place back then.)
  2. If you are an urban business owner or employee, what would it be now and why?
Thanks for sharing.
If you mean guns of that era then, AK-47 all the way, or MP5
If guns of this era are allowed, the AK-47, or CZ Scorpion carbine/ pistol; Stribogs braced.

Then: model 12 shotgun & 1911 big mouth .45

Now: M4 shotgun & same 1911 :D

Not to distract from the thread but a quick story - I was in the service at the time of this mess stationed in Alameda, and ordered to a short antenna theory class down in LA. I brought the fam along to LA so they could swim at the hotel pool while I was at class, and made a wrong turn on our way down. This infamous wrong turn was the day after, right past these Korean shops, the burnt stores, fewer protesters, and all those awesome National Guard dudes manning the street corners up to Rodeo drive. My wife still brings this little detour up sometimes when she doesn't like my driving :cool:

Those shopkeepers and neighbors have did more to demonstrate the value of 2A than most Americans have since. We really need to take that page from history and repeat.

Sadly....Progressive CA has changed a lot of laws to ensure that "Rooftop Koreans" are a thing of the past.
Today it's all about.....

Call 911.

Back then......I owned a lot of ARs and ammo too. BUT.....I was in Hawaii. Rrrrright.... Call it......

"Lucky you live Hawaii"

Aloha, Mark

Someone on YouTube needs to do a "how many boxes of cabbage does it take to stop a bullet" video. I'm guessing that you'd want 6 boxes for a 9mm and 15 boxes for .223.

No idea. It was before my time and all I have are stories. I'll assume that an AR15 would have made a fine choice.

I work for a company where carrying a firearm into the building is grounds for instant termination, so I mostly just hope that my massive buff frame skinny-as$, overly confidant swagger will deter would be parking lot pirates. Actually, the benefit of working from home these days is I don't get canned for having a gun on me. That gun is a DW Guardian most of the time, though I've downsized to a Kimber Evo SP recently for a smaller option.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top