JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I grew up in Texas with my grandparents who lived thru the depression so it shaped my views a lot. I remember hearing that all along N texas there was huge piles of grain, cotton seed, etc rotting in piles sitting beside the railroad tracks because the folks owning the rails and transportation network couldn't afford to transport food and feed.

My grandfather was paid $1.00 a hog to kill his hogs and BURY them because there was not enough feed on their land for hogs to sell and even IF they could afford to buy feed...it was rotting in piles because of the trains not transporting stock or feed. The hogs were buried that they couldn't barter so they buried 40 hogs one year... and the horses...a lot died or barely survived on salted tumbleweed...all because of transportation affecting food staples and the dust bowl killing the grass. So I grew up always putting up food we grew and gathered or butchered and never felt secure depending on a grocery store we might not be able to get to or a feed store that had no feed.

My children always think I am paranoid for stocking up on food for a year or more, but I remember in the 70's IN Houston where I lived as a new wife, a shortage of beef and a shortage of GAS...and shortages and huge prices for coffee and sugar...to the point they started making high fructose corn syrup and putting it in all the soda pops and now into everything. And I stopped buying coffee for a long while, seeing it as a luxury at the time.

My kids never walked into a store and saw the Houston Krogers, and super K mart and Globe with NO BEEF in the cases. I learned to eat tuna tacos and lamb cause that is what I could find. K mart actually would grab what beef they could find on other store shelves, not even removing the previous store labels...and mark it up $1.00 or more at a time when a lb of ground beef was probably .50cts, so they resold it for 3 times the regular cost. We went months without beef which was not a hardship for me, but my husband was very unhappy, being from Texas. When we moved back to Amarillo...we stopped depending on grocery stores...and bought hanging beef and raised our own pigs and rabbits and put up at least a year of canned foods from gardens or gathering wild stuff or fruit markets only. It made an impression that has lasted my whole life. I knew if there was no transportation or no gas to get to the store, we would be eating better than most.

IF we was to have a rail or truck strike...or a major conflict with CHINA (food and clothes and household items)...my kids are gonna wish they had all the food Mom used to prep and canned to keep them secure while they were growing up.:cool:

It is indeed disconcerting to understand how disrupt able our food supply chain is. It all runs on diesel fuel and the micro chip. Plus a delicate infrastructure of human beings providing the means of all of it to happen. And function normally. Then come the Unions.

Any disruption in the very long chain of complicated events will result in extraordinary repercussions. The Brazilian event can easily come to the USA. What makes it worserer, (worse than worser) is that the average USA home only has a few days of water and food.

And too many guns.

Linux Mint 17 American English speell chzk is a hoot. :)

My sons...are of the opinion that they have enough money to buy food even if it is in short supply. :mad:
Being a history buff and a war buff...I know that this is short sited for sure. But they have never been hungry or had less than a years worth of some sort of food available.

At least I am old enough now I won't have to BUY their expensive food to keep them from being hungry...and I don't have to drive all over the place to try and find that expensive, (if even available) food.

My plan was always to have a way for my young boys to survive the elements in a safer structure than a possibly damaged house, with food, emergency supplies, money, etc enough to take care of themselves if an earthquake hit and I was unable to leave the hospital since in my location it would be days before I could leave work being a RN and possible couldn't get home at all if the trestles and bridges went. They had to learn how to survive without Mom at least 3-5 days I figured. But that is as far as my boys would go on the preparedness path and are woefully unprepared for any major disruption to transportation of food and gas for their own families.

The problem may not be procuring or hiding the food. The problem may be protecting it from others. Barter only works if you have two people. Roundabout barter gets too complicated. At one point in the USA South during the end and after the War Between The States, precious metals failed. Then non food barter items, be what they may have been also failed. Only eatable items like food had value.

Being a single Mom to 2 boys and a RN when I first started prepping in Wa decades ago...my goal was not to do much other than to hunker in place till I could get my boys to a more remote family location with enough protection and storage.

I just didn't want to be in a place where I had to fight for resources till the market and people calmed down or fight to protect my own resources cause then I'd have to provide medical care to whoever got shot. LOL! Cause I knew if someone came on the rural property my Dad would shoot them if they came to get what we had. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top