JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you do with the stuff you can’t bring with you?

• Total voters
Reactions
Reading through the other popular thread, if you had to pick only one gun and go, it made me think about what I would do with the rest of the stuff.

So in this mental exercise, I ask, what would you do with the rest of the stuff you can't take with you?

Things come to mind, like destroying everything, burying it all, leave it in the safe, sabotage everything, etc…

So what would you do.

Let's try to keep the mindset that, you have really no choice to leave and you have enough time to get most things ready to get out. With little to no chance there will be anything to come back to.

If it came down to the point of I can only have one gun and take what I can carry....
I wouldn't worry 'bout all the rest of my stuff....it could stay wherever it was at.

I wouldn't like leaving it...but I'd rather live , then fret over it , or waste time hiding / sabotaging / destroying it.
Andy

Scuttling the ship only matters if I can make it to shore, so Imma grab my weapon of choice and disappear.

If I have time to be wrecking good guns, I got time to put some distance between me and my hypothetical problems in the scenario stipulated.

I would take my highest capacity largest caliber handgun, an fnp 45. The rest I would covertly give to residents leaving with me and those staying on site who may be unable to leave.
More likely, given current medical conditions, I would dig in where I am.

Last Edited:
Scuttling the ship only matters if I can make it to shore, so Imma grab my weapon of choice and disappear.

If I have time to be wrecking good guns, I got time to put some distance between me and my hypothetical problems in the scenario stipulated.
Good point. Extra time spent messing around with the extras is time one could be using to put distance between them and what's coming.

I definitely appreciate those putting perspective to how they view their extras. I have a tickling fear that I'd be face to face with a bad guy with my gun that I thought I left safely back at home. Super unrealistic, but I also don't wish for a bad guy to find my home, get into my stuff and use it against others. Again, not really likely, but my stuff is my stuff, and I really don't like the idea of bandits taking it for their own uses after I've left. I may take some time now, to be prepared, for what I'll do with everything when that time comes. If it comes of course. However, I have time now to think about it, where as I will likely not have that time in the case of an event.

These mental exercises are kind of fun!

Lol,I was reading a similar thread on another forum. One guy said he has a few mags he plans on leaving behind with 300 blackout mixed into his 223/556. So if anyone manages to actually get into his safe and takes the extras, they might end up regretting it later. Pretty savage!

I've thought about this some since last September when I had 5 minutes notice to evac due to a fire.

I piled as much as I could into my SUV, taking the more valuable things.

What I should have done is left the SUV and hope the car was covered by insurance. Then bring the flatbed around and put as much stuff as I could on the 8'x12' flatbed and in the cab. I am organizing my stuff - in part for such scenarios. But if at all possible I would stay put.

In the future I hope to get more warning, in which case I would move stuff out of the area as much as possible, hopefully with some help - I am here alone, but my kids are somewhat close by and if I have enough warning they could help me move stuff. A lot of my stuff is now in storage bins. I have transport cases for some of the guns and I am working on getting more. I have most of my ammo in GI ammo cans and working on that aspect too.

I'd prefer to sit tight, but it depends on the threat
Tsunami or fire, Yeah I'm outta here. I'll lock stuff down and hope it's still here when I get back.
Civil disturbance/riot? I'm sticking around for the show. I worked too hard to get my stuff to let some antifa/BLM trash have it for free.

I'm not seeing one that really fits. The closest one from a few years, kind of, fits under "What are you talking about, I'll weigh down my rig with all my guns and ammo and I don't care."

We had a wildfire that was alarming close. We packed up various stuff, including the majority of our firearms. The commercial building I work at in town has a ton of unused space, so our plan was to make some runs between the two to move things we'd need and/or are valuable/irreplaceable items if we got to that point. I drive a full-sized pickup, while the wife drives a Jeep Cherokee, so we have a decent amount of space. The aforementioned building has a smallish firearm safe bolted to the wall.

In general, we're of the bug in, not out mode, so one of the other options would likely be a better fit in most cases. A wildfire, however, is a notable exception, and one we prepare for.

If you mean more of a mad dash out; I honestly don't know. Likely the Model 29 as a sidearm and the SBRed/suppressed CAR-15-ish carbine for me. Wife would likely be her Walther as a sidearm and one of the lil' carbine-ish things (e.g., Škorpion vz61 or Mac-10) as a primary. The rest left locked up as best as possible.

Last Edited:
Most of my stuff is at the BUL already. But, for what isn't, if I couldn't carry it, it's getting buried in a locking cabinet that's already in the hole I dug for it in the crawl space. Without a ladder, you're not getting out unless you've got a 40" or so vertical leap.
To add:
If I had time to determine what couldn't be carried, and to secure and bury it, I'd have time for a second or third trip. Good thought.

Last Edited:
I'm not seeing one that really fits. The closest one from a few years, kind of, fits under "What are you talking about, I'll weigh down my rig with all my guns and ammo and I don't care."

We had a wildfire that was alarming close. We packed up various stuff, including the majority of our firearms. The commercial building I work at in town has a ton of unused space, so our plan was to make some some runs between the two to move things we'd need and/or are valuable/irreplaceable items if we got to that point. I drive a full-sized pickup, while the wife drives a Jeep Cherokee, so we have a decent amount of space. The aforementioned building has a smallish firearm safe bolted to the wall.

In general, we're of the bug in, not out mode, so one of the other options would likely be a better fit in most cases. A wildfire, however, is a notable exception, and one we prepare for.

If you mean more of a mad dash out; I honestly don't know. Likely the Model 29 as a sidearm and the SBRed/suppressed CAR-15-ish carbine for me. Wife would likely be her Walther as a sidearm and one of the lil' carbine-ish things (e.g., Škorpion vz61 or Mac-10) as a primary. The rest left locked up as best as possible.
Definitely not a mad dash type thing. Though it wouldn't hurt to have a plan in place already if that's the case.

I am in a place that could see a massive drove of idiots coming west from Portland. Or in a more obscure scenario, your pretty well suited for survival and your neighbors are workin together well in the new world, but the Chinese just invaded the shores and they are heading through the state right along your neighborhood. Or a gang has been gaining in numbers and ransacking one neighborhood at a time, they are heading your way.

Those are some of the many mental exercises I like to play out.

I'd prefer to sit tight, but it depends on the threat
Tsunami or fire, Yeah I'm outta here. I'll lock stuff down and hope it's still here when I get back.
Civil disturbance/riot? I'm sticking around for the show. I worked too hard to get my stuff to let some antifa/BLM trash have it for free.
I definitely like the idea of fighting, but at the same time, I don't know if I'd be willing to stay and fight if I knew it was an unfair fight. I might get a few, but they would ultimately win and just take it all anyways.

Realistic SHTF (like fires) my plan has always been to remove the firing pins from anything I can't take with me. Makes the gun inoperable if I can't get back to it but an easy fix if I do return.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews