JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  1. What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles? (Bare in mind most of the draconian, anti-2A BS laws in Californication weren't in place back then.)
  2. If you are an urban business owner or employee, what would it be now and why?
The cultural community pockets in any city -- the people there usually clawed their way to what they achieved, with plenty of blood and sweat shed along the way.
I would also speculate, insurance was difficult for them to purchase at an affordable rate. Hence, they could not just load the family in their Galaxy 500 station wagon and get out of Dodge. Come back and there'd be nothing left of all their hard work.
Weapons then:
AK47
CZ75
Spas 12

Lots of 'em.

Now:
Home made micro claymores full of exploding capsules of Clostridium Botulinum. Scorched Earth, baby!

WOW! But was that considered expensive to you or many? I do not know the value of the 1989 dollar.

Back in '87 I bought a NIB Colt AR15A2 for $560, and shortly thereafter a NIB Italian made 92F (the OG 92F) for around the same amount.... BTW, yes that was considered a bit spendy back then.

Around '94 I took in an (OG IMI import) .308 Galil as part trade (worth $1,200) for an '83 Toyota 4x4 I was selling for $2,500.

I still have all of them, too. (I wouldn't sell that Galil even if I was offered $10k today.)

So I worked in SoCal back then and many from our department were shipped up there during the riots. I missed the opportunity since they started over my days off and they had not (yet) cancelled time off. As soon as I went back those few of us remaining were 12 on 12 off for a while while our partners were up in the City of Angels playing. Heard many stories from my compadres about what a mess it was.

As to the OP, many stated pretty much what I did have in the trunk, Colt AR SP1, Rem 870 and a Colt 1911 in 38 Super.

Whatever I had(uzi, tec 9 ,sawed off shotgun handonthepump) , I'd definitely want a quality US surplus duffel bag for on foot edc.

Think about it!!

60bf5adfee25542b6c8d944963a90afd.jpg 44f0c8186fb674e8f29583e8d1f252f3--david-hunt-i-am.jpg

Frame of reference
That last picture is just....WOW!!!

In 1992, I was a child and oblivious to this situation.

I question, for anyone who remembers that time, the listed prices on the flyer, was that considered expensive then?
WOW! But was that considered expensive to you or many? I do not know the value of the 1989 dollar.
I was 19 -20yrs old in 92. My miserable job paid me about $35-40 a day . Junk cars could be had for $200 .
$10 worth of fast food was a pile for 1 person.
Pack of gum was a quarter.

Today ,in my area, my miserable job pays me $200-250 a day. Junk cars are a gamble at $1200 . $10 buys my coffee( I like to tip decent).
Pack of gum is routinely over a dollar.

If it is my life, 1911, AR15 or AK.

If it was the stuff in my store. I would walk out the backdoor and go home.

No amount of stuff is worth my life. My family has owned restaurants for more than 25 years. I am not going get trampled or shot over cases of chicken fried steak or bottles of liquor running from the business.

Most of the confrontations we experienced were dine and dashers and two overnight burglaries, one being an employee who was literally too macho to ask for help and the other was a guy who wanted to go to jail to have a roof over his head.

Back to the L.A. Riots

I was 7 years old at this time and my family was living in Long Beach, California. We had a small donut shop that didn't have anything to do with this and people still had the brains to break our windows and doors down. We moved up to Oregon shortly after. Then you know what happened next....2016....2020.

Last Edited:
1) "What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles?"
We lived in Long Beach during the Greater LA County Inter-Ethnic Burn and Loot Festival of May 1992.
My go-to pieces were a 12 ga auto shotgun and an SKS. Not due to The DPRK's legal labyrinth, just what I had at the time.

2) "Wish those ammo prices would return."
Calculating for inflation:
Daewoo Rifle
$339.00 = 629.13
$299.00 = 554.93
Yup, thats a smokin' deal for such a fine rifle
Ammo
$110 = $204.15
" I do not know the value of the 1989 dollar."
$1.00 (1989) = $2.10 (2020)

3) " I wouldn't rule out a cross bow. Silence is golden."
If you're dealing with a mob a Chinese repeating crossbow would be the thing.

4) "Do You Woo?"
The Woo is the most unappreciated EBR that ever was: the best features for the AR, AK, and FAL platforms with H&K iron sight picture all rolled into one great package with no buffer hanging out the back. Accurate, robust, reliable. All the people who like a piston AR will find their rifle in the Woo.

In '92 l had a Mossberg 500 "riot gun", a 1903A3 (in 30-06), and a Colt MK lV (Series 80... feh)... also a couple of .22s.

I think l would've felt pretty comfortable with the shotgun and the .45.

Enough so that, later on when my boys got older and we'd play video games, my basic loadout was ALWAYS "shotgun and a .45".

In 2020 I'd probably go w my 590 "Nightstick" and my SAR K2 45... because 14 rds of .45 is almost always the right answer.

'92?? Damn I was young! I guess I would've civilized 'em with a Krag if at home. In reality I was driving a truck in Oakland where a group of 20-30 victims of systemic racism tried to make me a Reginald Denny. I showed them the Beretta and they decided to go back to school and become doctors, lawyers and professional athletes.

Back during the summer months I read this article and stumbled across it again. It is photographs of Korean—Americans defending their business establishments during the 1992 Los Angeles riots which, naturally, was one of the most destructive civil disturbances in US history. Anyway, I thought others might find it interesting, so am passing it along: The Guns of the L.A. Riots.

Some of the interesting pictures:

View attachment 779123
Colt Double Eagle and a Glock.

View attachment 779124
Supermarket employee returning fire with a M1911A1.

View attachment 779125
Over—under and cabbage.

View attachment 779126
The unintentionally hilarious AP9.

View attachment 779127
Last, but not least, the South Korean Daewoo K1.

Oh and ammo prices back then ....
View attachment 779128

Questions, one for fun, one for more realistic preparedness:

1. What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles? (Bare in mind most of the draconian, anti-2A BS laws in Californication weren't in place back then.)
  2. If you are an urban business owner or employee, what would it be now and why?
Thanks for sharing.
Back during the summer months I read this article and stumbled across it again. It is photographs of Korean—Americans defending their business establishments during the 1992 Los Angeles riots which, naturally, was one of the most destructive civil disturbances in US history. Anyway, I thought others might find it interesting, so am passing it along: The Guns of the L.A. Riots.

Some of the interesting pictures:

View attachment 779123
Colt Double Eagle and a Glock.

View attachment 779124
Supermarket employee returning fire with a M1911A1.

View attachment 779125
Over—under and cabbage.

View attachment 779126
The unintentionally hilarious AP9.

View attachment 779127
Last, but not least, the South Korean Daewoo K1.

Oh and ammo prices back then ....
View attachment 779128

Questions, one for fun, one for more realistic preparedness:

Thanks for sharing.
My neighbors (Korean) owned a liquor store . Shot the punks with buckshot and the cops just called a van to haul away the bodies! Never took a report!

Tec-9, cover fire makes rioters scatter.
Have a few of them for NY reloads since they are prone to a few shots before they jamb.

So I worked in SoCal back then and many from our department were shipped up there during the riots. I missed the opportunity since they started over my days off and they had not (yet) cancelled time off. As soon as I went back those few of us remaining were 12 on 12 off for a while while our partners were up in the City of Angels playing. Heard many stories from my compadres about what a mess it was.

As to the OP, many stated pretty much what I did have in the trunk, Colt AR SP1, Rem 870 and a Colt 1911 in 38 Super.

I find that funny I remember buying a new in the box Magnum Research IMI Galil and getting rid of it a few years later .. I did not nor do I have much love for a 223 that weighed as much as Galil does and threw spent cases in to the next county. I felt the same way about my HK91 as well that rifle wreck brass and threw it into orbit .

1) "What would your defensive battery have been in 1992 Los Angeles?"
We lived in Long Beach during the Greater LA County Inter-Ethnic Burn and Loot Festival of May 1992.
My go-to pieces were a 12 ga auto shotgun and an SKS. Not due to The DPRK's legal labyrinth, just what I had at the time.

2) "Wish those ammo prices would return."
Calculating for inflation:
Daewoo Rifle
$339.00 = 629.13
$299.00 = 554.93
Yup, thats a smokin' deal for such a fine rifle
Ammo
$110 = $204.15
" I do not know the value of the 1989 dollar."
$1.00 (1989) = $2.10 (2020)

3) " I wouldn't rule out a cross bow. Silence is golden."
If you're dealing with a mob a Chinese repeating crossbow would be the thing.

4) "Do You Woo?"
The Woo is the most unappreciated EBR that ever was: the best features for the AR, AK, and FAL platforms with H&K iron sight picture all rolled into one great package with no buffer hanging out the back. Accurate, robust, reliable. All the people who like a piston AR will find their rifle in the Woo.
Even piston ARs have that buffer tube thing, too, unfortunately. Hurry up PSA, bring on the JAKL!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews