JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you do with the stuff you can’t bring with you?

• Total voters
Depends on how much time I have to prepare, I spose.
If we were leaving our home with the thought of not returning, we would be leaving in two vehicles. Wife's truck and the motorhome. I'm taking my rolling house and stuffing it with every firearm and all of the ammo I have. I have the room and the weight would be insignificant compared to how much that bus weighs! Most important papers are in the safe and would be an easy grab, too. Taking my computer and her laptop, which would only take a few moments to do.
A lot less time? My 357, Mav88 Security, AR pistol and Henry 22, with ammo for each. The rest can stay in the safe.

Last Edited:
Time permitting, I'd take EVERYTHING from the safe(s). It's not because I'm soooo attached to things, but because those particular things will probably have greater value than just about anything else, other than food. Obviously, things like electronics and my Brooks Brothers suits would have 0 trade value so would get left behind.

If I'm on foot, then the list gets considerably shorter... I'd probably have to just slam the door and walk away.

Let's try to keep the mindset that, you have really no choice to leave and you have enough time to get most things ready to get out.
This was the original brief. So I took it that I had enough time to do a bit of digging or hiding. I'm old, I can't do that much digging as a matter of practicality.

They wouldn't notice the freshly turned dirt? The unusual mound in the backyard or meadow? How fast could you gather your guns up, protectively wrap them, dig a big enough hole, then fill it and camouflage it? All that work, against the clock no less, would kill me faster than the goblins could
Probably not, we're not talking NCI. First, you have to imagine this is a pretty big deal and happening to all kinds of other people. Anyone remaining behind will likely have lots of other possibilities to look into rather than turned earth. And, a person might already have some turned earth on their property in the form of a garden. My thinking was to pile buried treasure over with yard waste (that I always have around in quantity), used lumber, etc. Actually, I have covered places on my property where I could cover stuff up with junk without even digging a hole.

In my own case, after letting the lion's share of my guns go over the past few years, I don't have than many to leave behind. So any hole-digging would be minimal.

My land was last logged out in 1947. There is one lower part of the property where they pushed some big, old logs that for some reason weren't worth taking. Over the years, these have decayed somewhat, are nurse logs for younger, living trees. There are some really good hiding prospects out there.

"Digging a hole" doesn't have to be strictly that; you're only limited by your imagination.

If your property is big enough, with enough forest cover, could just Chuck it in the woods and hope for the best?
This, with a modifier to provide for some kind of protection from the elements. This has been my Plan A for many years should I experience a vehicle break-down in the outback somewhere. I wouldn't leave firearms unattended. The vehicle might be a ransacked, glass-broke, bullet-riddled wreck by the time I got back to it. But the firearms would be a distance away, hidden.

720-1140070_1f.jpg

If they reach my place, there's nowhere else to go really, except the woods.
That's why I left Portland, SF and Seattle long ago. Am well outside Bend.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR