JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Truck guns are irrelevant. There will be no event that results in raging gunfights inside of a 3 day window, let alone spontaneous eruption of open fighting. Short of rural property defense (against 4 or 2 legged predators) there really isn't much use for having a dedicated long gun in a vehicle.

There may not be spontaneous fighting, but you made your own point, because there is a use for them if you live in rural areas, travel to them, or have a need to kill predators.

All of which can be done better with a truck gun versus a pistol.

I really like Tech's H&R that is a whole darned survival kit. Looks like a great project. But Flippy Darkpaw's $99 Nagant turned into a Scout (did you really make weight as well as length?) is closer to what I think of when I say "truck gun." My idea of a truck gun is a durable but cheap knock-around gun that will get the job done when necessary.

Some years ago, I picked up a $50 Turkish Mauser. I had ideas of roughly sporterizing and shortening a bit, installing better sights and a sling, and calling it a truck gun. The 8x57 is a perfectly functional round, and the old gun seemed to shoot fairly straight, even with 70 year old surplus ammo.

Soon, I had picked up some ammo, dies and components amd generally set myself up for a new caliber. Then I realized I'd spent another $200 and hadn't yet bought sights or touched the gun. Maybe that "cheap truck gun" is imaginary. I still have the unmodified Mauser, but am chronically short on time. Maybe when I retire....

I still see a cheap old military bolt gun as filling the role of truck gun. A roughly sporterized SMLE, cut down 1898 Krag, Turkish Mauser or other low value ugly gun fills the bill. In the past, when a M94 Winchester or 336 Marlin was inexpensive, a .30-30 carbine was a fine truck gun. I must admit, though, a cheap single barrel break shotgun, cut to carbine length comes pretty close, despite limited effective range.

As to guns in trucks in this theft-ridden society, I'm never eager to leave a weapon in an unattended vehicle. But sometimes it is necessary. A little "camouflage" can't hurt. A rifle rack can be installed in the rear window, then left empty or filled with a cheap fishing rod or cane. The rifle can hide behind or under the seat. I miss the soft scabbard I bought from Bianchi (if memory serves) around 1976. It was a zippered case with divider, designed to go along the front of the bench seat. It could hold two full sized long guns and worked well in my 2WD 69 Chev half ton. I can't recall what I did with it a couple of years later, when I bought the 1966 Internationall 4x4 with huge center hump for the tranny, then sold the Chevy.

Last Edited:
There may not be spontaneous fighting, but you made your own point, because there is a use for them if you live in rural areas, travel to them, or have a need to kill predators.

All of which can be done better with a truck gun versus a pistol.

Yeah. That's exactly why I mentioned that exception.

I could not find the post that stated there would be no outbreaks of 'violins' in the 1st 72 hours and while I would hope for that outcome there is this to consider:

Personally I find a 22mag rifle to be an acceptable PDW

Truck guns are irrelevant. There will be no event that results in raging gunfights inside of a 3 day window, let alone spontaneous eruption of open fighting. Short of rural property defense (against 4 or 2 legged predators) there really isn't much use for having a dedicated long gun in a vehicle.

Relevant.....Irrelevant???? I want a little extra firepower and range when I travel. No big deal. Frankly, I think it's stupid to travel by auto and not have one.

Relevant.....Irrelevant???? I want a little extra firepower and range when I travel. No big deal. Frankly, I think it's stupid to travel by auto and not have one.

In order for it to be stupid, people would have had to suffer consequences for not doing so. Drinking and driving is stupid. We know this because of death, injury, legal consequences, etc.

What are the consequences for not having a long gun, specifically? As in, consequences which are only present by not having more firepower than a handgun allows?

Leave the junker shotgun in the truck, keep the carry piece on you.

If you're ok with letting thieves have your gun, I've got nothing left for this conversation.

Edit:

OK. I DO have one last thing to say.

The theory of gun control advocates is that it should work because preventing legal ownership prevents trickle down into the hands of criminals. Trickle down through mechanisms like theft. Allowing your firearms to get stolen by staging them in the home or leaving them in a car gives them fuel. If you care about your rights, contribute to their preservation.

Last Edited:
I don't think a discussion of truck guns equates to acceptance of theft. We want a durable long gun in tne truck, one that won't make us cry if it gets scratched or banged up. If we need to leave the gun in the truck, we'll take security measures that are appropriate to our locations. After all, we're not some idiot Seattle Police Chief who leaves his Glock under the seat while shopping in Seattle. ;)

I don't think a discussion of truck guns equates to acceptance of theft. We want a durable long gun in tne truck, one that won't make us cry if it gets scratched or banged up. If we need to leave the gun in the truck, we'll take security measures that are appropriate to our locations. After all, we're not some idiot Seattle Police Chief who leaves his Glock under the seat while shopping in Seattle. ;)

You are aware that cars get stolen, correct? Or that a lot of guys DON'T take precautions? Be honest. How many guys do you know who have secure lock ups for long guns in their vehicles? Locking it in the trunk doesn't count. A trunk latch isn't a combination lock.

I know a looootttt of gun guys. ONE has a long gun safe in his vehicle.

Further, if they do have this, how useful is it in a time sensitive situation?

If you're ok with letting thieves have your gun, I've got nothing left for this conversation.

Edit:

The theory of gun control advocates is that it should work because preventing legal ownership prevents trickle down into the hands of criminals. Trickle down through mechanisms like theft. Allowing your firearms to get stolen by staging them in the home or leaving them in a car gives them fuel. If you care about your rights, contribute to their preservation.

Read about the security that I provide to the rifle in my truck, when I choose to carry. It's in my first post on this thread.
Ever heard of multiple attackers or highway snipers? The world is full of sociopaths.
I don't live my life worrying about what the anti's do or do not like. I take reasonable precautions.
OK, you can go now.

You are aware that cars get stolen, correct? Or that a lot of guys DON'T take precautions? Be honest. How many guys do you know who have secure lock ups for long guns in their vehicles? Locking it in the trunk doesn't count. A trunk latch isn't a combination lock.

I know a looootttt of gun guys. ONE has a long gun safe in his vehicle.

Further, if they do have this, how useful is it in a time sensitive situation?
I do have 2 lockable containers, one for a handgun, one for a rifle (kit rifle). Typically don't leave anything in the car for any extended period of time, but it's nice to have one just in case. Getting stuck in a snow storm, I can still hunt for rabbits ;-)

I said "...security measures that are appropriate to our locations. " Depending on where you are, that may be an alarm & disabler on the vehicle, gun lockbox, or taking it out of the pickup when you get home. Heck, you may want to tie it to a BurglarBomb AB2000 when you leave the vehicle. There are many options for many people. I'm a rural guy who considers a rifle in a pickup to be as natural as axe, shovel and chainsaw (all of which live in our vehicles during winter, though the saw usually stays home after spring).

Where I live, an empty rifle rack in the pickup and the rifle behind or under the seat or locked in the in-bed toolbox would probably do in the event I wanted to go a short distance from the vehicle without the rifle, though I wouldn't leave a gun in a parked car overnight. (Well, OK, the AR-7 in the bugout/get home bag in the trunk of the... Nevermind, Col. Cooper said the .22 is a "condiment.") :D

All I am saying is, do not totally dismiss the "truck gun" concept simply because you fear theft. I should note that people in this thread seem to have differing concepts of what "truck gun" means. For me, it's a simple rugged "knock around" rifle or carbine that will get the job done when needed, sort of like a 30 year old F250 with a few dings but solid running gear.

Edit:

I'm getting the feeling your "points" as you so graciously called them, come directly from the Brady campaign and handgun control inc. It sounds like what your implying is that all guns should be left at a secure facility aka range, when not in immediate use, similar to the way it is done in the UK. You keep making "points" (once again your word not mine) about not "needing" a long gun in your vehicle. But you don't "need" a spare tire in your car either, or a fire extinguisher or smoke detector in your home. And before you ask the question, I have used my trunk gun more than my spare tire, I have 3 vehicles and have never "needed" the spare tire on any of them, yet they are still there. It's your choice to not have a long gun, but as an American citizen, I am glad I have the choice to keep my long gun close at hand! God bless our troops, especially our snipers!!!

You are so wrong about my views, it is painful.

I actively defend these rights constantly in ways that you are too busy posturing to understand. When Feinstein had her bill on the table in the wake of Sandy Hook, I was actively involved in getting many, many people to pressure their representatives to kill it.

When I meet antis, and I have met many, I prove to them that their stereotypes of gun owners are wrong by not embodying that stereotype. I happily engage them in discussion of the issue, and I routinely succeed.

Why?

Because I CARE.

When I say "you don't need a truck gun (if you're an urban or suburban resident)", I am not saying that you shouldn't have the right to have one, or that you never will need one. I am saying that you should be realistic about when you do and don't, and should be responsible.

I WANT future generations to have the ability to defend their freedom. I don't want Tienenmen Square to happen on U.S. soil. I WANT our kids to grow up learning skills and passing them on.

I carry a firearm all day, every day. I encourage others to do so. As always, the filter is "use the right tool for the job", and in metro areas, defensive long guns in vehicles are not realistic needs.

In rural areas? OK.

Metro residents leaving and passing through remote areas? Sure.

Now... Do I think metro area residents should own and be proficient with long guns? Yes! Of course! It is our responsibility to preserve these skills and this capability in case the need arises.

When those people showed up to stand with Cliven Bundy, a message was sent. Whether or not anybody agrees or disagrees with Bundy, something very important happened: the 2A was exercised for its intended purpose. Equally importantly, it was done peacefully.

The message sent was, "we don't want to, but we will if you make us."

I believe that we owe it to the People to accept our part of owning this freedom, and making responsible choices. I don't want my kids killed with your stolen shotgun. I don't want my (someday) grandkids to be fired upon in a student protest because the People have lost their teeth (2A) as a result of apathy or irresponsibility.

I want them armed, skilled, and accountable for their part in this.
I don't think you can make these assumptions. Long rifles can be necessary in urban settings just the same. If you revisit Columbine you will notice that Gardner had no chance neutralizing Harris with a pistol at 60 yds, he would have easily done so with a patrol rifle. Whenever you come into a heavily populated area a rifle with its accuracy would be greatly preferable over a handgun. AR style pistols give you that option, if you want them legally loaded.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top