Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"truck guns"

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by alphapygmy, Jan 27, 2015.

1. alphapygmy

alphapygmy Yamhill County Active Member

Truck guns? Pros (duh), cons, experiences, what you got and how do you store it it safely?

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The only gun I ever keep in the truck is a rifle when I'm traveling, often a Mini-14. Occasionally a Winchester .25-35 and more rarely an old Remington M 750 .30/06. These rifles have little value if stolen, etc. I stow them in the folded rear seat with a canvas covered Kryptonite chain bike lock run through the action, or in the case of the Winchester the lever itself. A matching Kryptonite padlock secures the gun through the seat frame. I could scarcely describe how heavy this chain and lock are! Could use them in logging. Seat frame is rugged too. So the weapon is not visable and tightly chained, also the main reason the seats are up is that's where my avatar rides. :D

PS: I keep the lock and chain in place most times in case I have to secure my carry gun. It's also a real PITA to thread the chain through the seat frame.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Caveman Jim and Joe13 like this.
  3. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

My truck gun is on my hip; for easy access and whatnot.

On a more serious note, if I am going up to the mountains I have an ar in the back of the cab, but when I get out of the truck I generally carry it with me as well depending on where the we are.

Stomper and Joe13 like this.
  4. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

The truck guns that I've seen are usually single shot Joe Byden specials that have been shortened as much as legally possible

soberups likes this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Totally depends on what you need a "truck gun" for...

I also only take a rifle when I travel out of town but always have a CC on me.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

:D Depends on the truck, does it break down a lot, get something that is cheap like the truck.

I like the takedown rifles so I can put them in a bag should I have to walk. I wouldn't pick up a person carrying a rifle so if I had one I would want to hide it.

Caveman Jim and Joe13 like this.
  7. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

I guess I would use my Barrett 50 BMG for a ''truck gun''.

One question? Just when exactly dose truck season open?:D

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

It's open year round but you have to go to a country that participates.:D

Medic! and Stomper like this.
  9. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

That's a shame. :( I see so many trucks out there that really should be put out of there misery.

Mine is limping along. But it is getting long in the tooth. And it's days are numbered.
    It get's a little nervous every time we load up the Barrett and take that long drive out to the woods.:(

Mica, Tug and Caveman Jim like this.
  10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Many jihadist agree, never leave home without one.

truck18n-1-web.jpg

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

problem with a truck gun is trying to buy one that is not to nice. Everything I currently has it to nice to go bouncing around in a truck cab for months on end. I need to find a Universal Carbine or a beater post 64 model 94 or maybe a beater 20ga. pump

12. alphapygmy

I was thinking about it as a "get home gun." I carry a get home bag so why not a rifle? My CC is better than nothing but if things go really south a rifle would be much better. I live in a small town and rural area so I wouldn't be tromping around town with it if I had to walk. I've got a 308 bolt gun I was going to use. Either build a locking case or bolt down a pelican case under the back seats. When it comes down to it I think we're in for a slow decent into poverty rather than a overnight SHTF thing but you never know. Better to have it and not need it, and I'm up in the woods a fair amount anyway....

Joao01 and Stomper like this.
  13. 2Wheels4Ever

An sks paratrooper with a folding stock would make a pretty nice truck gun. Folds up nice and small but you have way more firepower than a bolt gun. (Firepower measured not in ballistic means)

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Then on that note, just get an AK with a side-folding stock, and 6-7 mags. for some reason AK's look "neat" when they're a little beat up.

Medic! likes this.
  15. alphapygmy

I wanted to use what I already have. I'm slowly building an AR for this but at the moment the 308 is needing something to useful to do to earn it's keep.

Medic! likes this.
  16. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I use an SKS with a folding stock with the 20 tapco duckbill mags. I keep in in a crappy looking gym bag that I could carry if I needed to. I don't use it unless I'm going to be out of town. I always have my CC 9mm with me, so I feel pretty firepowered up. I should add a bolt .22 for small game.

17. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

A hipoint and Pardner pump by far the cheapest.. I lean more towards just a Pardner Pump with a pistol grip behind the seat.

18. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Can you transport loaded rifle or shotgun as long as not chambered? In Oregon that is.

19. alphapygmy

Good question. I had only planned on having loaded mags close by but nothing anywhere in the gun. Don't give them any excuses.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  20. 2Wheels4Ever

There are a lot of weird rules about having a gun in your car; most of which are negated if you have your CHL. Just get your CHL and forget about it. I know in Multnomah Co you can;t even have a loaded mag in the car if you don't have a CHL, gun or no gun.

Nick Burkhardt likes this.