JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yup, but I actually had a small talk with the wife and kids what they should do and expect. Make it home if its safe, expect to walk and bridges out. etc.

We've had similar discussions and are still working on all alternate plans - when it's safer to stay where you are, what alternate locations such as family and friends, how to try and make contact, etc. All that assumes in the event of the big one, that you #1 survive it, and #2 aren't seriously injured. I think many folks assume they'll walk away from the big one and just get on their way, but depending on where you are, that may not happen. For example, if you're near the top floor of many of the older buildings in Portland - will they come down on top of you? So many factors to consider.

Last Edited:
So many "IF's" to think about! One thing I did for my Wife and family as well as friends is we scouted out each persons place of work and then did a walk a round to find the best ways home ON FOOT! For those on the wrong side of the river, we also walked to the river and checked out ways across that don't involve a bridge. There are a lot of places where a person can find a boat and use it to get across. there is also the option of people offering to help with this. Swimming wouldn't be a very good idea, especially after Da Big Juan! Think of all the stuff getting into the water with a big shake up like that, broken pipes of god knows what, buildings leaking untold toxins, and human waste! Even if you only got close to the water, you could still be at risk of getting something from that, and how many people know how to treat for that kind of exposure? For us, going to a safe place we have set up in advance may be the best option. Look at the past to see how quickly things go south, how many people are not prepared, how many take advantage of the situation and go on a crime spree! I think it's best to gather those close, and those you trust and bug/shelter in.

I got to see Japan up close and real personal after there big one, that will always be stuck in my head as some of the worst that I have ever experienced. There was so much contamination EVERY where, you were sure to get very sick just breathing. There were thousands of bodies all over, some in the open, some buried under mountains of debris. The utter lack of any response from any one, even from the U.S. military, we were so over whelmed by the shear size and scope of it all! If we ever get any thing close to what these poor people endured, it will be Very bad!!! They still havnt even started rebuilding in most of those areas, they are still trying to clean up. There are still hundreds of thousands living on the streets with no other place to go. Of note, crime is still a very low occurrence with them but it does happen still! Much of what does happen involves food and other basic needs! These need to be very strong lessons we here need to learn!

Truth is no where is all that good. Too far out means more need to travel in for day to days or work. unless your lucky enough to be some sort of investor with gobs of money and can afford to pay ridiculous amounts on shipping everything in and work from home. that on top of growing and raising everything else needed to sustain. I could only imagine it would be very hard to do all that. However it can be done.

I would say PaulB47 you are a very lucky man to have what you have. I live in North Plains on a micro lot. Close to 3 gas stations. I may be farther away from Portland, but way to close to a bubblegum show in the making if anything bad where to happen. I would love to have a little bit of space around me anywhere out here so as to be able to see something coming before it is too late.

Good point raised above: If part of the family has to depart the residence arrange for there to be a covert place where a note can be left where they're going, and those coming along later can go to the alternate spot.

Speaking of which, right now pick a couple alternate rendezvous places with an easy to remember but vague code name to refer to them in public.

"See you at Uncle Joe's" could be a certain point on railroad tracks in Snoqualmie Falls, just for example, referencing the train in Petticoat Junction. Etc.

Etrain16 hit on something that seriously needs considering, if you or a family member were to be in injured, How would you be able to get treatment? My Wife and I are both very experienced in this area, but likely none around us are! This is something we have also had to talk about, when to provide treatment to others, and when to stop and to leave! We have been very careful to only let certain people we know and trust know what skills we have, every one else only knows we are/were employed in the medical field! Good skills to have when SHTF but also a big liability to both of us! Note, We take food and blamo as well as good meds and bandages in trade!

I would say PaulB47 you are a very lucky man to have what you have. I live in North Plains on a micro lot. Close to 3 gas stations. I may be farther away from Portland, but way to close to a bubblegum show in the making if anything bad where to happen. I would love to have a little bit of space around me anywhere out here so as to be able to see something coming before it is too late.

I have no delusions about my situation. This place is woods all over; the boundaries of my lot mean nothing. It takes one guy with a rifle in the woods and I am dead, wouldn't even see him. My garden, am I up to shooting someone who is grabbing a carrot for his kid?

Ferfal has gone over the drawbacks of living in the boonies, you ought to look into it. A farm being taken over by a gang, the people raped and tortured to death to give up their hoarded cash and supplies, it's happened many times in Argentina.

The place to be is a small town, with people around and the guarded gardens and farm animals to support them. I wouldn't sneer at North Plains although it also is too close to Portland.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top