JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've got 10 acres outside Hillsboro, keep a garden and cut firewood, do canning, have a 100yd rifle range on the place, etc. I just wish I was farther from Portland. Actually I wish I was in eastern Oregon or Washington (or Idaho or Wyoming or Montana :rolleyes:). We did own a dude ranch in Wyoming for several years. Heaven help me though, I married a city gal and I don't think she is interested at all in moving to eastern Oregon. Her family is in PDX area also.

Mr Natural just posted this link:

Sure wish I had some connections to folks over there. Anyone got any ideas? Is there anyone from eastern Oregon here that might know of some events, "get togethers", campouts, hunting, fishing, etc?

Oregon has the 5th highest property taxes in the US. Orygun borders several states, only California is worse in taxes and crime then the other bordering states, per number of PPL. Washyington is now exceeding Orygun in tax, crime and 'Sanctuary cities' touted as a 'Safe Space' for Mexicans but which quickly grew to encapsulate Muslims

As I learn more I have come to realize community is key. More so than location. There are lots of advantages to being close to Portland. Heck they just had a cargo bike SHTF response practice event and competion in down town. I think (and hope) all these labels that divide us will melt away when SHTF and we will just see each other as fellow county men.

@PaulB47 if you want help poking holes in paper from a like minded individual let me know!

Last Edited:
Oh, I agree being near a big city has its advantages. I even like Portland a lot (compared to other cities :rolleyes: ). I just wonder what will happen when SHTF.

all I know is I pray I'm home with my family if SHTF and not on the opposite side of the Willamette in Portland. Portland will be a wreck and without communication or a way to cross the river I will go bat crazy not knowing if my wife and kids are home safe... or even if my home is still standing.

Going by the few city-dwellers nearby that I know, it is amazing how few are even prepared for the power to go out.

They don't even have a flashlight.

One friend talks about how, "there will be riots in the streets (...when the people find out about ___name ___ the ____disclosure___) ":rolleyes: ... but this fellow doesn't have any weapons, or water filters, no solar power for battery recharging, nor stored food, nothing whatsoever. Talk about disconnect between intellect and common sense. You're expecting riots, but have squat for supplies. Oh-Kay Den.

If power went out and food became scarce for more than a couple of days, that's gonna be a very long week for everybody within hiking distance of those folks.

In that sense, if we're within hiking distance of any urbanized population, we're too close to it, Portland or Eugene or Olympia, Seattle, Kirkland, et.al.

What are you gonna do though, when your job would not be supported by a sparse population of 100 people in as many square miles? There's the rub.

all I know is I pray I'm home with my family if SHTF and not on the opposite side of the Willamette in Portland. Portland will be a wreck and without communication or a way to cross the river I will go bat crazy not knowing if my wife and kids are home safe... or even if my home is still standing.

I'm with you on that, Koda! My son and his family are in the Salmon Creek area! We're to old to try to run, even if I believed that it is a viable option. But, the real gear, firepower and experience is here! If the kids can get here they have many options, from a BOV to BOB's to fight it out! BTW, we've lived here well over 35yrs and have bonds that old with neighbors, a number of whom were warriors, some old some still young!:D
We shall see!
Another BTW, I swam the Columbia the summer of my twentieth year!:cool:

Going by the few city-dwellers nearby that I know, it is amazing how few are even prepared for the power to go out.

They don't even have a flashlight.

One friend talks about how, "there will be riots in the streets (...when the people find out about ___name ___ the ____disclosure___) ":rolleyes: ... but this fellow doesn't have any weapons, or water filters, no solar power for battery recharging, nor stored food, nothing whatsoever. Talk about disconnect between intellect and common sense. You're expecting riots, but have squat for supplies. Oh-Kay Den.

If power went out and food became scarce for more than a couple of days, that's gonna be a very long week for everybody within hiking distance of those folks.

In that sense, if we're within hiking distance of any urbanized population, we're too close to it, Portland or Eugene or Olympia, Seattle, Kirkland, et.al.

What are you gonna do though, when your job would not be supported by a sparse population of 100 people in as many square miles? There's the rub.

I'm concerned about being stuck away from my family in such an event. If I were at my office in SE PDX and say I happened to survive, I've got to cover about 15 miles and cross at least one river to get back home. Assuming all bridges and overpasses are out, power lines are down, buildings have collapsed, maybe roads have buckled in the case of the 'big one', that means most travel is likely to be on foot. I've found myself wondering if I could be fortunate enough to find someone with a boat that wouldn't mind running me 10-15 miles south to O.C. and drop me off there - probably the best way to travel in that case. I'm trying to figure out what I should have on hand to barter such a trip, if that were the case.

Last Edited:
You guys worried about crossing rivers, maybe you should carry an inflatable boat in the trunk of your car? Next to your rifle...

Even just a cheap life jacket would allow you to swim across no matter how lousy a swimmer you are, seems to me.

having something to barter with is a good idea. I figure someone will be ferrying people and supplies across the river. Its not practical to carry an inflatable boat in you car, but the cheap life jacket isnt a bad idea. All this is assuming good weather.... but most of the time its raining and cold swollen blown out rivers and strong current. Swimming the river isnt really ideal 9 months out of the year.

then if you make it home, what ifthe rest of your family isnt there....?

dont forget' even cheap plastic and vinyl tarps can be rigged to become gear rafts ;)

EDIT; anyone remember the clog of boats on Willamette River near the i84 and i5 bridges during Red Bulls flugthingamajig???? I would think it is moe likely in specific locations to have all these boats clogging up the river in Portland area and you could probably just run across them if they don't shoot you on sight lol

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews