JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So you're saying I can see exactly WHERE somebody contracted COVID19 ....and where they did not? I mean I understand contact tracing has its advantages but to say without a doubt that it was transmitted either here or there seems assumptive.
It's intended to track (and backtrack) vectors. If you are confirmed as being positive, they sift back through your location data to see proximity contacts, etc.
The data will not be available to J Q Public, as I'm sure stoning would become a form of public rebuke.

The data will not be available to J Q Public, as I'm sure stoning would become a form of public rebuke.
Which is why the location services on all of my devices are always turned off, unless I have an immediate need to use them.
Afterward, the location service is immediately switched off again.

I don't whether to respond to that with a "Love it", "Haha", "Wow" or a "Sad"...
Each emoji has its own applicability to that statement...
To me it's wow. Not in a surprised way...more in a "we've finally made it here" kind of wow. Any time a major problem presents itself, I'm always skeptical of the first guy through the door claiming to have the solution. It all seems too convenient. Wonder if it'll actually help solve the problem.

Which is why the location services on all of my devices are always turned off, unless I have an immediate need to use them.
Are your location services ever truly turned off though? o_O

To me it's wow. Not in a surprised way...more in a "we've finally made it here" kind of wow. Any time a major problem presents itself, I'm always skeptical of the first guy through the door claiming to have the solution. It all seems too convenient. Wonder if it'll actually help solve the problem.
The "Love it" and "Haha" were a nod to @P7id10T's humor and wit. Two different degrees of humor expressed, depending upon how one interprets what he wrote.
The "Wow" and "Sad" were directed more to the invasion/loss of privacy in today's world. The first, that it's possible, and the second, that it's already happened.

Since the site software does not permit one to select more than one emoji as a reaction, I felt compelled to respond in a post and list all four choices...

Last Edited:
Good question. I have gone as far and as deeply into my iPhone to turn location settings off as the directions of privacy sites on the innerwebz direct.
Short of not having a cell phone, I don't know what else to do.

I have to have a cell phone and a laptop for my profession, but I refuse to use an Android-based phone because of Google's notorious habit of snooping even when location services are turned off. Even when a project or a client provides an Android-based phone for my free use on the project, I politely decline it. I use an Apple product since they are at least (initially) unwilling to crack the phones of others, even if those others are accused of some misdeed. You might recall the Apple backdoor issue with the FBI about 4 or 5 years ago. I can't remember all of the details, but I was surprised and pleased that Apple refused to help the FBI (or was it the CIA???) crack the code to get into the suspect's iPhone.

I don't have an Alexa, I don't use any social media sites (other than this one and USCCA's Community), and I don't have any "smart devices" controlling my home's lights, music, TV, thermostat, garage doors, etc. I am quite capable of handling all of these "chores" by myself, and will continue to do so.

Last Edited:
And our individual situations are being managed as if we all lived in New York City or San Francisco. That's par for the course for NYC, whose attention to it's own navel and belief that nothing exists west of the Hudson River is legendary. Indeed, here in Oregon our feckless governess has officially surrendered the COVID-19 management of the state to the governors of CA and WA. We have a total of ~4 million souls in Oregon, where outside of the City of Portland the number of human beings per square mile is probably less than 1.0. But as in all other things, Portland, and now SF/NYC, has dictated our COVID-19 response as well.

This.

Should Oregon respond the same way as New York? No. Should Portland respond the same way as Bend? No. Should Multonmah County response like Hood River County? No.

The issue of spread is one of population density and movement. The problem of locking down just a single county or city is that people will move out of it. Our initial lockdown response was met with people filing into trailheads like sardines into the can.

Should ultimate authority for lockdown be at the state level? Not in my opinion. City Mayors are much more capable of determining the response for their locality - but only if people choose to remain in their locality if asked to do so. A huge problem that local governments have is people considering any change of behavior being asked of them to be tyranny. The state could have asked everyone to not be in groups, keep stores open but limit entrants to no more than some x per square feet, etc. Resistance to that would be the same as now.

This is really no different than the gun policy debates. Should the cities be dictating rural gun policies? I think not.

Keep in mind that the reverse is also happening. Many rural areas are demanding an "open up" that if applied to metropolitan areas could be disastrous. If it is not okay that cities dictate rural policies, then the reverse is also true.

Instead of arguing about locking down or not, can we all agree that the ultimate power for such a choice should rest with the city or county? Arguing about a lockdown is almost a red herring. Let's demand that public health authority rest with the Mayors for this and future pandemics.

In the metropolis, progress is achieved by stacking more and more people on top of each other within a smaller and smaller area.
...big cities aren't conducive to pollution reduction. Sure... blame the farmer and the logger.
Country-city.JPG

same
no. It's required as a part of emergency location services. The "turned off" option is whether that info is shared with other applications. That setting is routinely violated.

same
no. It's required as a part of emergency location services. The "turned off" option is whether that info is shared with other applications. That setting is routinely violated.
As we've seen, the boundaries of what can be considered an emergency are set by people who might not be trustworthy.

I aimed, too, please... ;)

By the way, you got a power-washer, right...??? o_O

Last Edited:
Ah, I neglected to mention that they were each riding a motorcycle..................

Ha, guessed that right away! I could imagine them thinking we'll be maintaining social distances, doing all our breathing inside the helmet, and - best of all - enjoying the fresh air on winding local roads. Scratch that thought if they were riding crotch rockets and bombing down the main highways.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top