JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
E-Series are fairly nice, though a bit punchy being alloy frame vs a steel frame. Rock Islands are excellent and probably the most cost effective. Springfield makes quite a few that would probably fit your price range; although I think $600 to $900 is pretty huge range, I'd be more like $550 to $750 and then $750 to $1000. I really think you are looking at quite different guns in your original price range. My first was a Rock Island, about $550.
View attachment 311273
I've got the Citadel version of this and thought at the time the fit and finish were quite good for the price point ($438)... Smooth operator, great trigger, decent slide to frame fit.

But I've recently treated myself to an ATI GI FX45, the fit and finish are light years away from the RIA's and Citadels I've handled... Slide to frame fit and barrel fit rival those that have been hand fitted. In fact, there's no discernible play in any of those mating surfaces. The weak point is the trigger, it's smooth but heavy. Nothing a little operational functioning won't smooth up.

The price point was down right cheap, $350 from Grab A Gun...
image.jpeg

I may consider that kind offer. I've shot the CMD, but not the 5" model.

Not sure where you're located, but I'm close to Wayno and have a 5" Ruger. I usually shoot on family property east of Estacada and can offer the same. You wanna shoot it, let me know.

Okay folks (@Ura-Ki, @nammac, @Kruejl), as I noted a little while ago, I made a completely unplanned, impulse buy on a 1911 today. Not far from what I was looking at, but a bit off the mark as well. I was at an FFL for a private sale of a rifle to my buyer today. I was going to put that money aside toward a 1911. As we're finishing up the paperwork, one of the folks was shining up a 1911 to put in the case for sale. I saw what they were doing so I asked if I could see it.

What was it? A double-stack Para Ordnance P14.45 Limited in stainless. Now Para is certainly on my list, but wasn't something I was specifically looking for. I'd never held a double-stack 1911 before and I was surprised at how well it fit my hand. I asked the price, fully expecting it to be more than I would want to spend. They gave me the price and I decided to pass (being a good little gun buyer). Then they dropped the price $50. Damn them!! With that price drop, I had the cash in hand from the gun sale to cover this purchase 100%, so, I thought about it for about 5 minutes and, as they say, I pulled the trigger ;)

I haven't had time to do a takedown and cleaning, which I would normally do with any new or used gun, so here are two photos of it as is. Overall she's in very good shape, a few scratches here and there, and considering she's probably a good 20 years old by my guesstimation, she looks good. I don't have much knowledge of the double-stack models, but I'm pretty excited to have her and get her out to the range. That said, a quality single-stack model will still be in my future, perhaps just a bit further off now.

So, what do you 1911 aficionado's think? Did I do okay? Any concerns with the double-stack models I should be aware of?

Last thing is the price. Looks like these are going anywhere from $575 to $699 on a cursory search of the web. My price today - $450 - not sure, but I think I got a good deal. If I didn't, let me have it!

IMG_6803a.jpg IMG_6805a.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd a bought that son of a gun, too!
I loved my P12-45. The only issue I had with it had to do with the firing pin safety. If it was mine I'd get the "spacer" and deactivate that.
If you ever wanna sell or trade it, let me know.
That's what I think of it.

I'd a bought that son of a gun, too!
I loved my P12-45. The only issue I had with it had to do with the firing pin safety. If it was mine I'd get the "spacer" and deactivate that.
If you ever wanna sell or trade it, let me know.
That's what I think of it.

I'll keep you in mind ;)

Okay folks, as I noted a little while ago, I made a completely unplanned, impulse buy on a 1911 today. Not far from what I was looking at, but a bit off the mark as well. I was at an FFL for a private sale of a rifle to my buyer today. I was going to put that money aside toward a 1911. As we're finishing up the paperwork, one of the folks was shining up a 1911 to put in the case for sale. I saw what they were doing so I asked if I could see it.

What was it? A double-stack Para Ordnance P14.45 Limited in stainless. Now Para is certainly on my list, but wasn't something I was specifically looking for. I'd never held a double-stack 1911 before and I was surprised at how well it fit my hand. I asked the price, fully expecting it to be more than I would want to spend. They gave me the price and I decided to pass (being a good little gun buyer). Then they dropped the price $50. Damn them!! With that price drop, I had the cash in hand from the gun sale to cover this purchase 100%, so, I thought about it for about 5 minutes and, as they say, I pulled the trigger ;)

I haven't had time to do a takedown and cleaning, which I would normally do with any new or used gun, so here are two photos of it as is. Overall she's in very good shape, a few scratches here and there, and considering she's probably a good 20 years old by my guesstimation, she looks good. I don't have much knowledge of the double-stack models, but I'm pretty excited to have her and get her out to the range. That said, a quality single-stack model will still be in my future, perhaps just a bit further off now.

So, what do you 1911 aficionado's think? Did I do okay? Any concerns with the double-stack models I should be aware of?

Last thing is the price. Looks like these are going anywhere from $575 to $699 on a cursory search of the web. My price today - $450 - not sure, but I think I got a good deal. If I didn't, let me have it!

View attachment 311386 View attachment 311387
Dude, $450? Seriously??? Think you scored yourself a heck of a deal.

A buddy of mine has the P14 Black Ops and paid more than double that for it a couple of years ago. He loves his, the mags were a bit of a challenge to get 14 rounds into.

Good looking Para, as long as the foment is good, I'm thinking you'll be a happy camper for a while!

Congrats on your score!

Dude, $450? Seriously??? Think you scored yourself a heck of a deal.

A buddy of mine has the P14 Black Ops and paid more than double that for it a couple of years ago. He loves his, the mags were a bit of a challenge to get 14 rounds into.

Good looking Para, as long as the foment is good, I'm thinking you'll be a happy camper for a while!

Congrats on your score!

I'll probably run her by @Velzey at some point to give her a once over and maybe a tune, but I'm liking what I see so far.

Only came with one mag though, so I'll need to do some research on some good mags at decent prices. Looks like MecGar makes some, and my experience with MecGar mags has been good so far.

No offense to MecGar, but you should be able to find Para mags. That's what I'd buy. I had several for my P12 and none of them gave me an ounce of trouble.

I'm gonna celebrate for you with a beer!

I would say she is a keeper! LOL Great Buy etrain16, good price, and a good quality rig that will serve ya well for many years to come. So many advantages built into those Para's, Fully supported barrels, pretty good trigger's, and plenty of up grade potential if you wanted to. No get it out and SHOOT THE DARN THING! Like orygun, You ever want to sell it off, put me second on the list!:D

That would make a darn nice carry rig! Put Some Novak Night Sights on it, have Velzey do a single side safety and your good to go! Wouldn't fee the least bit shy carrying that beautiful piece, and 14 rounds of 1911 .45 goodness just raises you a few notches!

That would make a darn nice carry rig! Put Some Novak Night Sights on it, have Velzey do a single side safety and your good to go! Wouldn't fee the least bit shy carrying that beautiful piece, and 14 rounds of 1911 .45 goodness just raises you a few notches!
While I'm not a leftie, I think I'd leave the ambi alone unless it gave me trouble. Night sights are a great idea, though.
I'm still jealous.

Sights are definitely high on the list, I don't care for the sights on it now. Before I decide if anything else needs to be done, I'll get it out and shoot it and see how she feels. Now, when can I get to the range?!

I'll probably swap the grips out too - either wood, maybe maple, walnut or cocobolo, or maybe some nice G10 grips :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top